Everth Cabrera, SS

59th street

I do not want to trade Alexi unless we get a positive return in an area of need, but he seems to be our best trading chip and quite valuable.

Since none of our internal SS candidates seem to be "playoff caliber" ready is there any interest in seeing of Ev. Cabrera could be redeemed. He can play the position but has some knucklehead behavior/baggage: Biogenisis suspension, DUI/marijuana and resisting arrest charges pending and is a Boras client. He is young talented and would cost nothing to obtain. Maybe he could be a good placeholder until Anderson is ready? Anybody follow the NL closely enough to know if this guy is simply not worth the trouble, or is he just a youngster who has made a couple of very bad mistakes who could be "saved"?

QUOTE (59th street @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 11:59 PM)
Thanks for the link and for fixing the name.

Any opinion as to if he is worth picking up if we do trade Alexi?

i have been waiting for someone to ask this question.

now E, Cabrera does have a huge suitcase of problems. now with JR and his

apprehension of signing players with a history of problems, PED-DUI. i just

don't know.

for me, i don't know if its getting a talented player for the team that i can

overlook all that crap.

QUOTE (midway @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
I've been waiting to see what happens with this kid, seeing if other teams would be willing to take a chance with him. But now, after reading the link here there is no way I would want any part of this kid's drama and his agent is Boras...no thanks!!!

There's always Asdrubal Cabrera.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)
There's always Asdrubal Cabrera.

I have no urge to pay him a comparable salary to what Alexei is currently getting, which is what he should get on the FA market, unless we've moved Alexei and still somehow have a "Compete right now" roster.

If they traded Alexei, it would make sense to give him a look. Boras being his agent doesn't mean much, he iwould still be controlled through arb. He has some talent, but hasn't been the same simce he hurt IIRC a hammy.

PED, DUI isn't a great mix. I read somewhere he also had a domestic battery. If that is true, you probably would have to pass.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 02:44 AM)
If they traded Alexei, it would make sense to give him a look. Boras being his agent doesn't mean much, he iwould still be controlled through arb. He has some talent, but hasn't been the same simce he hurt IIRC a hammy.

PED, DUI isn't a great mix. I read somewhere he also had a domestic battery. If that is true, you probably would have to pass.

that position should be filled before any movement of Alexei.

If we are picking up a scrapheap SS w hopes of find lightnig in a bottle to replace Lexi, I think I'd take my chances on Jed Lowrie. This is all barring we get some sort of major league SP or LF or C in return. I don't want to trade Alexei for prospects if we are truly "going for it" as signing LaRoche indicates strongly.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 01:19 AM)
with the advance stat aside, do you think he is no better of a SS then Cleuluis?

I was exaggerating Cleuluis' hitting ability, which is very limited, to point out how bad E Cabrera was with the bat last year. 263 players got at least 300 plate appearances last year and advanced stats regard Cabrera as the 8th worst in baseball last year. Regarding defense, my understanding was that Cleuluis would be an above average defensive shortstop in MLB right now.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 07:26 AM)
If we are picking up a scrapheap SS w hopes of find lightnig in a bottle to replace Lexi, I think I'd take my chances on Jed Lowrie. This is all barring we get some sort of major league SP or LF or C in return. I don't want to trade Alexei for prospects if we are truly "going for it" as signing LaRoche indicates strongly.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)
I was exaggerating Cleuluis' hitting ability, which is very limited, to point out how bad E Cabrera was with the bat last year. 263 players got at least 300 plate appearances last year and advanced stats regard Cabrera as the 8th worst in baseball last year. Regarding defense, my understanding was that Cleuluis would be an above average defensive shortstop in MLB right now.

Both are excellent opinions. i was wrong in my thinking.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 02:43 AM)

Who were the other 7 worst?