Sox Sign David Robertson - 4 yr, $46 mil

Boopa1219

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:55 PM)
I must admit I haven't even processed the 10 million annually he's going to get.

I keep tellin folks they gotta just not worry about money right now. :)

Also been saying we're gonna spend big this offseason for ages...

Also said we're gonna get a deal done ALA Freddy Garcia back in 2004.

LaRoche - 12.5M

Duke - 4.5M

Robertson - 11.5

Shark - 10M

About 29M so far and we're not done yet - boys and gals.

Does this make us going after another player with a qualifying offer seem more realistic. I dont mind losing a third for maybe melky. Also if the sox do happen to get a player who recieved a qualifying offer does the other team get a sandwich pick also or does it fall lower then.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:01 PM)

Not bad. Got to love the numbers he has posted, etc. Good stuff, great k ratio, etc. Closed in a major stage. Like I said...as long as Jerry is willing to go into that 100-110 territory, it works well and definitely makes us much closer to contention. Hopefully that payroll ends up closer to 110-115 cause then we have more flexibility to ensure we address outfield and have wiggle room to go with Jeff long-term.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:03 AM)
Wow, go get a left fielder and maybe Grandal and I'm happy. Sad to see Marcus on his way out :( but Micah, Sanchez and a couple of options in Fernandez and the other cuban import excite. Lets gun for the wild card boys maybe Detroit falters and we can compete for the division. should make for a great summer.

Grandal ship likely sailed. They tried for sure, fwiw.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
I'm assuming we had to outbid the Yankees for his services.

Who the hell would ever think the Sox would win a bidding contest against Yankees. Believe this is the largest contract ever given to a reliever...or at least that is what I just heard on ESPN.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
$46 not $40, still not bad, just glad we filled the biggest need a need with an elite option.

Payroll currently at around $92 mil (not counting $9.5 due to Shark in arb if we get him). If we get rid of Viciedo, we might still be able to get Melky for $14 AAV.

Plus you still have to see what happens with Danks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:09 AM)
Who the hell would ever think the Sox would win a bidding contest against Yankees. Believe this is the largest contract ever given to a reliever...or at least that is what I just heard on ESPN.

Papelbon got $50 million for 4 years from Philly.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:03 AM)
Uh, so those of you in this thread want to check out the other one now. :)

Haha. Thank you. I keep getting sucked into one thread and missing news in the other... even if this ESPN report seems to have jumped the gun.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:16 AM)
FanGraphs has him worth a 1.8WAR this upcoming season. What's the $/WAR ratio? Like $7M? Not a bad deal when you look at it like that....even a little under value.

About $6-7M, yeah. He technically has been worth the deal he just signed, but I just don't feel comfortable giving over 2 years to such a volatile job.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:08 AM)
Someone may have already mentioned this, but the Sox surrender their 2nd RD pick for Robertson, which means they may be more inclined to go after another guy with a pick attached. Maybe some Melky action?

They did in Shark, who in the event that he doesn't resign with the Sox, the team will get an extra pick, assuming the team gives him a QO.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:20 AM)
MLBN saying Yankees never offered him a deal.

Well, technically they offered him a one year deal for $15.3 million.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12002705...david-robertson

Both trades/moves are official according to cbssports.com

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-he...sox-seem-likely

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:51 PM)
I should hate all this money and commitcommitment but RICK HAHN JUST DROPPED HIS BALLS ON THE TABLE AND THEY ARE QUITE LARGE.

Tomorrow Sox will announce the surprise signing of Jon Lester. Hahn then stood up on a table at the meeting, pulls down his pants jizzes on everyone's face. Theo and Jed gets the biggest load.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:25 AM)
They did in Shark, who in the event that he doesn't resign with the Sox, the team will get an extra pick, assuming the team gives him a QO.

No, I am saying now that they've surrendered a 2nd RD pick to sign Robertson, they can sign another FA with a pick attached and they would then only lose their 3rd RD pick. The penalty is lesser each subsequent FA we sign who has a pick attached.