Sox Sign David Robertson - 4 yr, $46 mil

Boopa1219

So we got a closer, we got a righthanded starter to go with our other 2 great starters and Danks, we got a slugger. i'll hand it to Hahn. ON PAPER, he's turned the Sox into division favorites.

How can you not win with 3 good starters (I'm not sold on the ex-Cub), a new bullpen set-up guy, a closer and a slugger to go with Abreu?

Now it's up to the f***ing players to produce. Sox are division favorites now, even with the bad defense.

p.s. sorry to see Semien go. Not convinced the ex-Cub is great. I'll give Hahn the benefit of the doubt. He's made moves that on paper make us the favorites. We'll see if in reality it happens. Getting greedy, it'd be nice to see an upgrade at one of these two spots (catcher and/or third base).

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:04 AM)
So we got a closer, we got a righthanded starter to go with our other 2 great starters and Danks, we got a slugger. i'll hand it to Hahn. ON PAPER, he's turned the Sox into division favorites.

How can you not win with 3 good starters (I'm not sold on the ex-Cub), a new bullpen set-up guy, a closer and a slugger to go with Abreu?

Now it's up to the f***ing players to produce. Sox are division favorites now, even with the bad defense.

p.s. sorry to see Semien go. Not convinced the ex-Cub is great. I'll give Hahn the benefit of the doubt. He's made moves that on paper make us the favorites. We'll see if in reality it happens. Getting greedy, it'd be nice to see an upgrade at one of these two spots (catcher and/or third base).

Not quite.

We're definitely in the conversation at the top, but the Tigers still have Price, Verlander, Sanchez and Porcello....and they brought back Victor and they've still got a lot of time and resources to address both their defense and bullpen. They've already made a move to upgrade CF.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Tigers and Royals are still slight favorites over the White Sox, with Chicago a clear 3rd, CLE the best 4th team in baseball and then Minny 5th.

And there's always a possibility Scherzer ends up returning. How many teams can afford that contract? Dodgers? Cubs? Red Sox? Giants? Yankees? The Tigers are still a Top 5-6 landing spot for Max, and Illitch might feel a bit more pressure to respond now that the White Sox are making a strong move.

Edited by caulfield12

Cool, we have our closer and RH Starter now.

By my reckoning we need a Left Fielder (preferably a Left Handed Bat) and possibly a LOOGY in the pen.

If the rumours are correct about the Pirates wanting Danks and if we can free up some payroll. I would love to see us taking a run at Scherzer.

Imagine the rotation of

Sale

Scherzer

Samardzijia

Quintana

Noesi

Go on Rick. Show them all that you mean business.

QUOTE (glangon @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Cool, we have our closer and RH Starter now.

By my reckoning we need a Left Fielder (preferably a Left Handed Bat) and possibly a LOOGY in the pen.

If the rumours are correct about the Pirates wanting Danks and if we can free up some payroll. I would love to see us taking a run at Scherzer.

Imagine the rotation of

Sale

Scherzer

Samardzijia

Quintana

Noesi

Go on Rick. Show them all that you mean business.

yeah, but i really doubt the sox have that payroll flexibility. nice to dream. i am

with you on this.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
yeah, but i really doubt the sox have that payroll flexibility. nice to dream. i am

with you on this.

I wonder if we do have the payroll flexability.

If Hahn went to Jerry and said that he needed an extra $25 million on his payroll to get Scherzer and turn the rotation into Sale, Scherzer, Samardzija and Noesi.

I reckon Jerry would find a way. The media exposure to the White Sox alone could bring in enough advertising and sales to cover some of the cost.

QUOTE (glangon @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
I wonder if we do have the payroll flexability.

If Hahn went to Jerry and said that he needed an extra $25 million on his payroll to get Scherzer and turn the rotation into Sale, Scherzer, Samardzija and Noesi.

I reckon Jerry would find a way. The media exposure to the White Sox alone could bring in enough advertising and sales to cover some of the cost.

i have always said, that the sox does have that payroll flex.

the timeline.

at first, Hahn said 90 mil payroll.

then Hahn said they may have a little more, depending on things went. 90-100

a month ago, Hahn said they will go for it, (my words not his) so i been looking at 110+

this is my opinion based on how i am reading what he is saying.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:45 AM)
So another bat, RH starter and a top pen arm. And the payroll increasing. Still aren't done yet b

Melky,Masterson, Krod?

I'd be stunned if it was a Scherzer like signing after this but man that would shoot Sox straight into the ALCS at least.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
Word.

These moves better mean we are ALL ***ING IN, bolded, though. No messing around.

We did not even have to have our management tell us that we were all in (Theo). We figured it all out on our own with our mgmt moves.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
We did not even have to have our management tell us that we were all in (Theo). We figured it all out on our own with our mgmt moves.

Considering we had a marketing campaign of "All In" i'm not sure we can claim high ground here.

I think it's funny to see the transition on this post from when there was still speculation that we were close to signing Robertson, to after the news broke that he'd signed.

It was generally -- no, no, no, too much money ...

To -- yes, yes, yes! -- who cares about the money, it's not ours!

Sure that's a little overstated, but still, there's quite a contrast.

Count me among those thrilled by this move. I don't write on here that much anymore, but last season got quite a debate going for my post about whether the bullpen was Hahn's fault. If you flipped the KC bullpen for the Sox bullpen last year, we would have been in the race for a wild card slot, and we know how valuable those turned out to be. So it appears Mr. Hahn has learned his lesson and isn't willing to waste any more seasons trying to patch together a cheap bullpen. Hooray for that!