Sox Sign David Robertson - 4 yr, $46 mil

Boopa1219

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
We could probably sign both Gregerson and Phil Coke for less than Robertson over 4 years and not have to give up the draft pick either. This team has too many holes to fill to be spending top dollar on a closer.

Why on earth would anyone want Phil Coke in their bullpen? That's the equivalent of wanting Belisario back.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
Why on earth would anyone want Phil Coke in their bullpen? That's the equivalent of wanting Belisario back.

The Tigers had Phil Coke and now they want Belisario. I can only imagine how tough that is on Detroit fans, but they deserve it.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
If they are pursuing both Robertson and Gregerson, I could see them offering Webb or even Petricka in a trade.

I don't think so. The bullpen was just bad last year and we have a lot of meaningful innings to fill.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
I have a lot of family who are Tigers fans and every single one of them hates Coke with a passion.

I think every bullpen needs at least one guy to irrationally hate all year long. Even relievers that have excellent ERA's can seemingly give up tons of runs if they allow inherited runners to score and any failure is magnified by the situation.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
You say "closer by committee" like that was actually the plan, but it never is. That's a term that gets thrown around when the bullpen sucks and the manager can't consistently go to anyone to hold a lead at the end of the game. If there's ever a "committee," it means something has already gone horribly wrong.

Just because we don't have a $50m commitment to a reliever doesn't mean we can't have a closer.

"closer by committee" is code for "my bullpen sucks".

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)

Ok bad example. I knew he was a LH free agent and thought he had a pretty good year last year for some reason. Obviously wrong on that.....either way I still think 2 quality arms > 1 expensive closer.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 06:30 AM)
Okay so be ready to call me out. I have long been a draft pick defender and advocate of not signing players with QO's attached. I'm still not advocating doing so but pondering a strategy. If the Sox sign David Robertson and give up their 2nd round pick, would it benefit to dip back into free agency this year for another QO free agent? If they were to sign two players with QO's, they would be giving up their 2nd and 3rd round picks. While just writing that statement makes me cringe a little bit, does it make sense to do it at this point?

I was saying that weeks ago in the VMart thread. With the salary room and protected 1st rounder I was pretty sure this was the year the Sox would sign some free agents more than they would make trades . The fact they have very little talent to actually trade also played a big role in my thinking.

But if you look through that thread again I was told many times the Sox weren't close enough to contention yet. I have followed the Sox and baseball for many years and have learned a few things along the way. When everything is telling you the time is now, it usually is.

At first I thought, "That's a lot of money and years for a closer that throws 91." And then I looked at the rest of his stats beyond ERA and saves. 13 k/9?? Jeesh.

The Sox have had a revolving door at closer since Jenks fell off a cliff. It'd be nice to have some stability for the 9th inning. Even it it does cost 12m a year.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
At first I thought, "That's a lot of money and years for a closer that throws 91." And then I looked at the rest of his stats beyond ERA and saves. 13 k/9?? Jeesh.

The Sox have had a revolving door at closer since Jenks fell off a cliff. It'd be nice to have some stability for the 9th inning. Even it it does cost 12m a year.

They've had a "revolving door" because they traded 2 closers away expecting that they'd have internal replacement options.

Shark doesn't exactly fill our closer need, if anything, it makes the need to add other talent far more significant. If you sign Shark to an extension, you can be less aggressive with other roster holes cause you have a longer opportunity. If you don't, then you can't make a trade like the Shark trade without addressing spending money / making other moves to address other concerns (e.g., outfield + closer).

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
I thought Hahn has said he wouldn't be interested in guys like this. He might just be checking things out or maybe just blowing smoke. On the other hand he might be looking to trade a couple guys (Montas???)for someone else an would then be short bp arms. In any case I'd like to have Robertson closing for us.

If the Sox wanted to use Montas in the pen, they could use him this year. i.e. don't trade top 100 prospects for bullpen arms.