Sox claim Rob Brantly

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
Smith was JUST added to the 40 man roster.

This is true, but Brantley is likely an upgrade on either of those two guys, and the FO had no way of knowing they would get him.

I don't see Flowers getting moved, the Sox pitchers seem to really like him.

Edited by daggins

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
This is true, but Brantley is likely an upgrade on either of those two guys, and the FO had no way of knowing they would get him.

I don't see Flowers getting moved, the Sox pitchers seem to really like him.

We added him to protect against his getting picked in the Rule 5. He isn't getting waived now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
Probably means Phegley is about to go or maybe Nieto.

Betting Phegley. I was saying that before this claim even. I think he's had his shots, and the org has sent signals multiple times they didn't like his approach and attitude. My guess is he's gone.

Seems like a guy they brought in to compete with Phegley/Nieto for the backup spot with Smith likely gone. Wouldn't surprise me to see Brantley open up the year as the back up though. Nieto did the best he could last year, but it was pretty clear he didn't belong in the majors so he'll likely be Charlotte's catcher next year. No clue how Brantley's D compares to Phegley, but I imagine whoever is the better of the 2 will win the job.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
Betting Phegley. I was saying that before this claim even. I think he's had his shots, and the org has sent signals multiple times they didn't like his approach and attitude. My guess is he's gone.

I think so too, it just doesn't make sense to stick with him given what they have. I'm guessing they trade him for an arm of some time, maybe just a low level guy, but there's enough there for a team to want to give him some sort of shot.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
Seems like a guy they brought in to compete with Phegley/Nieto for the backup spot with Smith likely gone. Wouldn't surprise me to see Brantley open up the year as the back up though. Nieto did the best he could last year, but it was pretty clear he didn't belong in the majors so he'll likely be Charlotte's catcher next year. No clue how Brantley's D compares to Phegley, but I imagine whoever is the better of the 2 will win the job.

It is possible someone comes in and makes an offer for Smith that seems worthwhile and they take it. But barring that, it is almost assuredly going to be Phegley.

First, look at the signals the team has sent. Phegley has been, multiple times now, sent to minor league camp early (spring training), benched for undisclosed behavioral reasons (twice during last season), and the team has multiple times had quotes out in articles talking about his shortcomings. On the other hand with Smith, they haven't said much of anything, but the did invite him to the special pre-spring hitter prospect camp last year, did send him to AFL, and did just add him to the 40. All the signals say they prefer Smith for value.

Second, they are actually similar as prospects in many ways. Both are bat-first guys with some power, both are seen as weaker defensively, but both have a strong arm. It's just the "other catching stuff" that is key here, and Smith gets better grades for pitcher handling.

Third, simply put, Phegley has had two shots. Smith none.

So unless a team offers a significant prospect for Smith, which isn't likely, I am quite confident Phegley is the one who will be gone.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
It is possible someone comes in and makes an offer for Smith that seems worthwhile and they take it. But barring that, it is almost assuredly going to be Phegley.

First, look at the signals the team has sent. Phegley has been, multiple times now, sent to minor league camp early (spring training), benched for undisclosed behavioral reasons (twice during last season), and the team has multiple times had quotes out in articles talking about his shortcomings. On the other hand with Smith, they haven't said much of anything, but the did invite him to the special pre-spring hitter prospect camp last year, did send him to AFL, and did just add him to the 40. All the signals say they prefer Smith for value.

Second, they are actually similar as prospects in many ways. Both are bat-first guys with some power, both are seen as weaker defensively, but both have a strong arm. It's just the "other catching stuff" that is key here, and Smith gets better grades for pitcher handling.

So unless a team offers a significant prospect for Smith, which isn't likely, I am quite confident Phegley is the one who will be gone.

Unless Smith is part of a trade, and the other team really likes him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)

In all likelihood, it is both Phegley and Smith. Given the Sox current roster composition, Smith will be repeating AA as a 27 year old while Nieto is starting at AAA, Phegley has no spot now that there is a platoon partner to back up Flowers.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
In all likelihood, it is both Phegley and Smith. Given the Sox current roster composition, Smith will be repeating AA as a 27 year old while Nieto is starting at AAA, Phegley has no spot now that there is a platoon partner to back up Flowers.

Smith will start next season at 26, turn 27 around all star break time. I think Nieto is in AA where he belongs (remember he hadn't been above A+ before last season when he barely played, whereas Smith proved he's past AA bat-wise) and Smith in AAA.

But both is certainly possible. Not the likely scenario in my view, but possible.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
Smith will start next season at 26, turn 27 around all star break time. I think Nieto is in AA where he belongs (remember he hadn't been above A+ before last season when he barely played, whereas Smith proved he's past AA bat-wise) and Smith in AAA.

But both is certainly possible. Not the likely scenario in my view, but possible.

I think Smith turns 27 next season and will be in AAA. I'll bet Nieto ends up in AA where he belongs (he hadn't been above A+ before last season).