Rodon *NOT* to "probably" begin Sox career in pen

Andy the Clown

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
So much can happen over the next 4-5 months. I'd be surprised if he's in the opening day bullpen. He needs innings.

He needs innings but only a limited number based on his previous workloads. I understand the logic behind the moves and there are positives. Personally, I would start him in the minors on an innings limit early in the season and then bring him up about half way.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
He needs innings but only a limited number based on his previous workloads. I understand the logic behind the moves and there are positives. Personally, I would start him in the minors on an innings limit early in the season and then bring him up about half way.

I'd be totally ok with that, but that's not how I hear those statements. I hear them as "like Sale did in 2011" meaning "full season wasted in the bullpen throwing 60 innings like Sale did in 2011".

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
Not really set in stone and I would take what KW says in December with a grain of salt. Anything can happen. Also we already have a Rodon thread

Potentially saves innings, so that when he transitions to starting around midseason, he'll have the innings left in the tank to pitch in the postseason, and not have to shut him down in Sept. (ala Shelby Miller) as he loses effectiveness near his physical limits. Wouldn't shock me if this thought is somewhere in their minds.

I think this is KW's attempt at clever Danks leverage, and that Plan B is the scenario I described, hopefully coinciding with moving Danks, if value building for him in April-May is needed.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
I'd be totally ok with that, but that's not how I hear those statements. I hear them as "like Sale did in 2011" meaning "full season wasted in the bullpen throwing 60 innings like Sale did in 2011".

Yeah, this is why I wouldn't do it this way. He just won't get the work he needs.

If he is there the whole season, then next season would need to be the innings building season and you wouldn't have him for the whole season or the Sox will need to live with a pitcher being gassed at the end of a season.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
Bottom line--I don't care what they do with Rodon next year as long as he's ready to go 200 innings in 2016.

If he is in the pen for the whole year, that won't happen, at least not effective innings.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
That's my point.

It's philosophical difference. What's more important, the knowledge and skills he gains this year by pitching to MLB players and Coop putting him in advantagious situations, while postponing his full time starting assignment a year. Or starting him the minor to buld up his innings to start his start assignment earlier but have to learn the MLB pitching in all situations where he could get his brains beat in while learning.

The other variable would be the Sox wnning, the team is much better if he is in the pen as opposed to the minors. If they don't extend JS and next year is the year, it may be the only option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Sigh.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
Him spending a full season in our bullpen is f***ing stupid. Dude needs to be building up innings, whether that's in AAA or the majors.

Hopefully this is just some posturing as we attempt to move Danks.

I'll never understand this sort of blanket philosophy when it comes to pitchers, rather than treating each as individuals. The guy hasn't even been to a ST camp. Let's see what the coaches find out. He could start in the minors, come out of the pen in the bigs or even start. What a quality problem. But to treat every pitcher like they're cut from the same cloth is a mistake, IMO, and I'm glad the Sox don't.

If you want the Sox to be competitive in 2015 (and you better want that after the deals last night) you're gonna have to grin and bear it while guys like Montas and Rodon are rushed to the majors to fill bullpen needs and others like Micah Johnson contribute off the bench as a pinch runner.

Even with Duke and Robertson the bullpen is still overall pretty bad. I don't trust Petricka, Surkamp, Putnam, Webb or Guerra to be anything. If all of them flopped (again) I would not be surprised. What then? Do the Sox just punt 2015, let Shark walk and "aw shucks" the whole season because it's more important to be delicate with a few prospects than win at the MLB level? That's stupid. I hate that line of thinking.

Right now, as constructed, the Sox are on the lower end of the playoff bubble. Barring a big move that standing won't improve all that much. If it's all hands on deck to get that win here or win there that eeks them into the WC or even division then so be it. You whine and moan about not getting maximum value by handling the guys withe kid gloves in the minors, but really (especially with pitchers) you occasionally have to get whatever you can out of them right now.