Sox Actively Shopping Viciedo

Heads22

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
Mark Reynolds hit 30+ three times in his career though, and 40+ once. The best thing we have to say about DV is that he managed to scratch 20.

Yes, but that was in the past. I know you hate Viciedo so you can't be objective , but he's not yet 26 years old, has power, and his babip last year WAS 30 points below his career average when it was .261. Brandon Moss, a guy you made a thread about, had 23 career homers through his age 27 season, is coming off hip surgery and is just as bad a defender.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Is it better or worse for your replacement to make a lot of money? I think it would be worse if your replacement was a guy who was low paid.

If you have a compete nt 2B, and have $240 million floating around, and a bunch of holes, you don't blow $240 million on a 2B.

Gordon Beckham---garbage .244/.306/.374

Dustin Ackley---perfect fit .245/.309/.366

LMAO

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
If you have a compete nt 2B, and have $240 million floating around, and a bunch of holes, you don't blow $240 million on a 2B.

LMAO

If Gordon Beckham could catch the ball, he'd be an upgrade over Viciedo in the OF.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
Let's completely leave out all context and look at things in a vacuum.

Beckham as starting 2B

Beckham did that at USCF. Ackley did that at Saefco.

Beckham's career wRC+ is 83. Ackley's career is wRC+ 92.

The numbers are the same. Beckham actually hit worse at USCF than on the road. Ackley sucks. I know he is from another team, so his sucking isn't as bad as a White Sox sucking, but he sucks, and he can't hang with Beckham turning DPs.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
If he was a nice option, someone they would actually want playing 2B, they could spend that money elsewhere. They had to overpay to get him out of NY.

Dick, I like most of your posts, but this is kind of crazy. The M's needed to make a major splash one way or another. Ackley can play multiple positions, they signed Cano cause he was by far the biggest impact bat available. Is Ackley on the same planet as Cano, absolutely not. Ackley, in my opinion, is a better fit for this club than DV. It is kind of that classic change of scenery for both guy strategy. Also a great clubhouse guy as well. Ackley is not an all star though and I don't think anyone is claiming he is.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
maybe it is me and my stubbornness, but i still see him as a

starter. granted lets see how he does.

Ackley is a starter, the guy ended the season on a surge. All of his skills are starting to come together. Put him in a room with Severson and you have a greatly improved player, and he'll be playing in the Cell not Safeco.

I would take Ackley at LF over, Cargo, Rasmus and Melky.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)

LMAO

Ackley is a nice fit cause he can play multiple positions in the IF / OF and can leverage his match-ups. Beckham was more limited in the positions he could currently play. Ackley has also been showing some upside. I still don't know if the M's would make this deal.

Ackley and Beckham is a pointless comparison. What's relevant is Ackley vs. Viciedo for 2015.

They put up almost identical wRC+, but Ackley si a better defender, better baserunner, and left-handed. If Seattle wants to trade that for whatever semblance of upside Viciedo has left, I'd do it. At the worst, we'll have improved our OF defense without sacrificing anything offensively.

That said, I wouldn't stop looking hard for a better option in LF.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Ackley and Beckham is a pointless comparison. What's relevant is Ackley vs. Viciedo for 2015.

They put up almost identical wRC+, but Ackley si a better defender, better baserunner, and left-handed. If Seattle wants to trade that for whatever semblance of upside Viciedo has left, I'd do it. At the worst, we'll have improved our OF defense without sacrificing anything offensively.

That said, I wouldn't stop looking hard for a better option in LF.

Why is it pointless when it was directed at a post that specifically said Ackley was the perfect fit at 2B for the White Sox? He was compared to the 2B this board wanted out of town for 3 or 4 years.

If the White Sox trade for Ackley to be anything more than a utility man/ platoon guy, they really are going after trying to win in 2015 at most, half assed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
Why is it pointless when it was directed at a post that specifically said Ackley was the perfect fit at 2B for the White Sox?

If the White Sox trade for Ackley to be anything more than a utility man/ platoon guy, they really are going after trying to win in 2015 at most, half assed.

Because we're not really talking about "targeting him," we're talking about trying to get ANYTHING for Viciedo.

He is so great, the Mariners only spent $240 million to replace him.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
Ackley would be a terrific starting 2B for the White Sox.

You actually went there?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
You actually went there?

Things your post missed:

1. Gordon Beckham's career OPS is higher than Ackley's, however Beckham's is trending the wrong way. His OPS not counting his rookie year is .660, worse than Ackley's career mark by a good amount.

2. Gordon Beckham's 2014 was terrible. .618 OPS overall, .598 with the White Sox. Ackleys was .692 last year. That alone would be a huge upgrade, even if you didn't consider:

3. Seattle is one of the worst hitting parks in the majors, thus "Beckham and Ackely put up similar OPS numbers" means Ackley was doing a much, much better job, and if you put him in a non-non-seattle ballpark he'd be putting up much better numbers than Beckham.

I'm not sure I'd put him at 2b and call him an excellent fit either, but that's how deeply flawed your post was.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
Things your post missed:

1. Gordon Beckham's career OPS is higher than Ackley's, however Beckham's is trending the wrong way. His OPS not counting his rookie year is .660, worse than Ackley's career mark by a good amount.

2. Gordon Beckham's 2014 was terrible. .618 OPS overall, .598 with the White Sox. Ackleys was .692 last year. That alone would be a huge upgrade, even if you didn't consider:

3. Seattle is one of the worst hitting parks in the majors, thus "Beckham and Ackely put up similar OPS numbers" means Ackley was doing a much, much better job, and if you put him in a non-non-seattle ballpark he'd be putting up much better numbers than Beckham.

I'm not sure I'd put him at 2b and call him an excellent fit either, but that's how deeply flawed your post was.

Beckham actually hit better on the road than at home during his career, and this board for the most part, pretty much wanted Beckham gone for the past 3 or 4 seasons.