Longoria & Will Myers

GoGoSox2k2

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Can't wait for that 720 ops signed til he's 37.

Young LF please.

You keep pointing to his .720 OPS as if it's in any way likely to resemble his numbers going forward. It was by far the worst offensive performance of his career and it's not like he's 34, he's 29.

It's a completely unrealistic idea anyway, but stop misrepresenting the player.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
That's not what made those teams what they are - Those teams would trade every veteran they had with a pulse for prospects. Plenty of teams who win don't trade their top prospects. See the Cardinals in St Louis, e.g.

It also helps that teams that do trade them - Boston e.g. - produces a heck of a lot of them. The Sox don't.

How many top prospects have been traded aroud MLB in the last year? Darn few. The As didn't get a single one for Donaldson or Shark or Moss.

I'm all for trading prospects- for young talent. Not for decliners who are signed until they are 37. Nor for stodgy, unathletic low OBP sluggers that are popular in these parts.

People also seem to analyze reputation, and not look at actual numbers....like OPS in the low 600s.

Trading Rodon for Will Myers (if it could be done) would be laughably awful.

As for Rodon, he's a college pitcher that dominated the lower minors and is good enough for the pen today. He is RAdinsky if EVERYTHING goes wrong.

I remember the Sox trading their best prospects for luminaries such as Swisher and Edwin Jackson and Vasquez. That didn't get us anywhere.

I would disagree. I would always trade for the proven veteran over the prospect, most of which will fail. It's a different philosophy but I prefer the known to the unknown.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Can't wait for that 720 ops signed til he's 37.

Young LF please.

Young dooens't mean better and young really talented players cost more in money and talent if there is a trade. If longoria was 5 years younger he would cost a lot more. so this young player will cost alot to obtain.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Young dooens't mean better and young really talented players cost more in money and talent if there is a trade. If longoria was 5 years younger he would cost a lot more. so this young player will cost alot to obtain.

And that .720 screams outlier to me. He hadn't been below .845 ever.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
Wonderful. Trade our next Sale for a .614 OPS. Or is it a .724 OPS.

And it doesn't even touch on the key need of LF.

The "grass is always greener" is growing like mad.

I'm not saying they would or should trade Rodon, but a prospect with the ceiling he has, and club control, etc., that's the type of prospect that can probably land (or at least make another team think hard) a premier player.

Where did this Longoria thing come from? If it's only Mully & Hanley, that's not good enough.

After losing their GM and Manager, moving Longoria would be pretty dumb. Might as well get the Baltimore Colts Mayflower trucks packed up and move to Montreal.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
I'd be ecstatic if the Sox got either. I wonder if a bigger trade with Quintana involved would get it done. I don't know why the Rays are looking to make these trades though. Their rotation is still awesome with Moore, Cobb, Smyly, Archer, Ordrizzi and Nate Karns, who I think has a great arm, as insurance.

Something huge like Quintana, Anderson, Gillaspie, Viciedo, Beck and Hawkins for Longo, DeJesus and Odorizzi. We can dream right?

CF Eaton

LF DeJesus

1B Abreu

3B Longoria

DH LaRoche

RF Garcia

SS Alexei

C Flowers

2B Sanchez/Johnson

Thats a good lookin lineup, but swap Myers for DeJesus and we got a deal.

You're not going to convince the Rays to trade Longoria if they don't already want to. If, if for some reason they are considering dealing him (forget adding Myers) for strategic reasons, would a package of Anderson, Danish, Montas and Hawkins get you in the door at least? It would be a starter, but would probably need some sweetening. It would also wipe out the Sox farm system...

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
You're not going to convince the Rays to trade Longoria if they don't already want to. If, if for some reason they are considering dealing him (forget adding Myers) for strategic reasons, would a package of Anderson, Danish, Montas and Hawkins get you in the door at least? It would be a starter, but would probably need some sweetening. It would also wipe out the Sox farm system...

Maybe? I would think Q would have to be included for them to do it. We know that a Q-Bruce swap was discussed earlier in the off-season so you know Hahn is at least open to that.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
Maybe? I would think Q would have to be included for them to do it. We know that a Q-Bruce swap was discussed earlier in the off-season so you know Hahn is at least open to that.

I understand that value-wise, but I don't see why the Rays would want Quintana is they're trading Longoria. I would rather use minor leaguers, but if Quintana were the centerpiece I would think it would have to be a three-way somehow.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
I understand that value-wise, but I don't see why the Rays would want Quintana is they're trading Longoria. I would rather use minor leaguers, but if Quintana were the centerpiece I would think it would have to be a three-way somehow.

Same reason they acquired Smyly for Price, less risk of busting, multiple years of control.