Should The Sox Buy the Old Post Office For A New Stadium?

nitetrain8601

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
I just want to say THANK YOU to Jerry for that. If his kids can pull together the money to buy it from him, great, but I hate when sports fans are held hostage by the 2nd and 3rd generation kids whose entire identity is the team and if they fail there is no way out.

DA BEARS!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to say THANK YOU to Jerry for that. If his kids can pull together the money to buy it from him, great, but I hate when sports fans are held hostage by the 2nd and 3rd generation kids whose entire identity is the team and if they fail there is no way out.

His son is running the Bulls, and really would love to run the Sox. Whether that happens or not, who knows.

I do think Michael Reinsdorf would be far more competent than the McCaskeys.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
His son is running the Bulls, and really would love to run the Sox. Whether that happens or not, who knows.

I do think Michael Reinsdorf would be far more competent than the McCaskeys.

Well it's not like Rocky Wirtz has run the Blackhawks into the ground either. I really don't think ownership being passed down is a bad thing, because a parent was good enough to own the team until they died, they were doing something right in regards to running their franchise, or did at one point in their lives. Passing it down to the next of kin is not always the worst thing in the world.

Dollar Bill Worst is an example of it being better with the kids taking over.

As for the next stadium, I still believe it will be out in the suburbs. Pluck it down in Arlington Heights somewhere near Arlington Park. Basically anywhere along 53.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 08:40 PM)

As for the next stadium, I still believe it will be out in the suburbs. Pluck it down in Arlington Heights somewhere near Arlington Park. Basically anywhere along 53.

But it wasn't better because his KIDS took over, it was better because it was better. That they were his children and hired a competent president to take over is remarkable. BUt the problem is with kids who have not made their wealth elsewhere is the team is their entire identity. Sell the team? It would be unfathomable.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
But it wasn't better because his KIDS took over, it was better because it was better. That they were his children and hired a competent president to take over is remarkable. BUt the problem is with kids who have not made their wealth elsewhere is the team is their entire identity. Sell the team? It would be unfathomable.

The kids made moves that the old man would never have allowed. His allegiance to Bob Pulford was mind blowing, plus is love for the Sutter family smh. The old man couldn't figure out the media, etc. He has to go down as one of the wirtz owners in all sports.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
The kids made moves that the old man would never have allowed. His allegiance to Bob Pulford was mind blowing, plus is love for the Sutter family smh. The old man couldn't figure out the media, etc. He has to go down as one of the wirtz owners in all sports.

You mean rocky. Peter wirtz has bills right hand man and no longer has anything to do with the hawks.

As for bill, he more or less continued his father's policies. But on the plus side, he did fire bobby hull because he was an anti-Semitic wife beater.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)

You think the suburbs are the way forward? I know the Braves are moving to the suburbs, but they're the first since...?

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Most of the comments in this thread seem to be made under the influence of crack.

Sox are going NOWHERE UNTIL 2029 and will likely build on the old comiskey site. It is the best spot when you factor in rail service, traffic patterns, and parking.

The only "crack" going on here is you cracking me up by continuing to suggest the location at 35th and Shields is the "best spot" for this franchise. I don't know why you keep saying this. It. Is. Not. The decades of poor attendance records proves that beyond a doubt. Not to mention, but the current location wasn't even in the current ownership's top three choices back in the 80s when they were looking for a place to build the new park.

As has been mentioned ad nauseum, the area lacks the surrounding nightlife options that so many other ballparks have, and there remains a carryover stigma from many years ago that the area around the ballpark isn't the safest. You combine those two considerable factors, and you can have the best rail service, the most amazing traffic patterns, and all the parking in the world, and it won't matter. As long as the destination itself remains as it is today - uninspiring with no attractions - no one is going to go there unless there is a bona fide winner on the field. That hardly defines the current location as the "best spot" for the Sox.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
The only "crack" going on here is you cracking me up by continuing to suggest the location at 35th and Shields is the "best spot" for this franchise. I don't know why you keep saying this. It. Is. Not. The decades of poor attendance records proves that beyond a doubt. Not to mention, but the current location wasn't even in the current ownership's top three choices back in the 80s when they were looking for a place to build the new park.

As has been mentioned ad nauseum, the area lacks the surrounding nightlife options that so many other ballparks have, and there remains a carryover stigma from many years ago that the area around the ballpark isn't the safest. You combine those two considerable factors, and you can have the best rail service, the most amazing traffic patterns, and all the parking in the world, and it won't matter. As long as the destination itself remains as it is today - uninspiring with no attractions - no one is going to go there unless there is a bona fide winner on the field. That hardly defines the current location as the "best spot" for the Sox.

Name me one spot where they have access to three train lines( one going as far as Joliet).", a super highway literally across the street from the stadium and enough space for 7000 parking spot?

Oh, and isn't going to cost over a hundred million JUST FOR THE

LAND!

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
Name me one spot where they have access to three train lines( one going as far as Joliet).", a super highway literally across the street from the stadium and enough space for 7000 parking spot?

LAND!

Don't the Cubs fans have access to the Yellow, Purple, Brown and Red Lines? On top of that, bus service almost non-stop, Lake Shore Drive and Kennedy(to the west) along with a bunch of nightlife or hang out after the game options.

The Sox could do worse than 35th and Shields, but they could also do much better.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)

LAND!

The problem is the amount of people living within a 2 mile radius of the park. If the White Sox did have a stadium at the old Post Office site, their attendance would be far greater, just from the after work crowd. Big enough to fight a sweetheart lease, and assume most of the expense of building a new park? No way. But unless more people start moving into Bridgeport, and/or that community embraces the Wrigleyville way of life, there is very little chance the next stadium, whenever that is, is where the old park was. But alot can change in 15-20 years when the rumbles for a new place begins.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)

Good post. It's time for suburbia, folks. Build a palace. We're talking Jerry Jones/Dallas Cowboys-like palace. Obviously will never happen, but I thought I'd throw that out there. Sox will never move out of the Cell cause it will take government money to build the new stadium and that will never be approved again. They'll let the Sox move next time.

All they have to do is go back to the original renovations plans and put a home run porch out in right field. It would fill out the stadium more so it doesn't feel so small inside. It was a great idea and they could always go back to it. If they do it, they wouldn't have to worry about building a new stadium for the next 50 yrs.

Boooyyaah

comiskey752.jpg

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 12:17 AM)
All they have to do is go back to the original renovations plans and put a home run porch out in right field. It would fill out the stadium more so it doesn't feel so small inside. It was a great idea and they could always go back to it. If they do it, they wouldn't have to worry about building a new stadium for the next 50 yrs.

Boooyyaah

comiskey752.jpg

Sadly this won't happen with the out of town scoreboard now in place.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 06:02 AM)
Sadly this won't happen with the out of town scoreboard now in place.

Moving the board is no big deal. Spending millions to add to capacity when the park is nowhere near full as it is, a big deal. Besides, with the Stadium Club, that upper deck would have to be set back a pretty good distance. Home run porch would be a bad name. It would take a bomb to get up there.

as much as i hate to admit it, the idea of getting a new park needs to be in

the downtown area, somewhere just north of the enterprise. built in fan

base.

what got me thinking as well, what ever happen to the propose idea of

building up the area around 35 and shields? there was this grand idea

of a navy pier like settings across the walk way over the expressway.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 06:54 AM)
Moving the board is no big deal. Spending millions to add to capacity when the park is nowhere near full as it is, a big deal. Besides, with the Stadium Club, that upper deck would have to be set back a pretty good distance. Home run porch would be a bad name. It would take a bomb to get up there.

you would have to think if something like that was implemented(and it wont be), it would have to hang over the lower deck. It still would take a bigtime bomb to get it up there though

For whenever we are due a new stadium, the Sox need to commit to either the suburbs or downtown. I'd prefer downtown, personally.

I think I was the one who originally brought up the post office site a few months back. Admittedly I was ignorant of the history a few months back, but if the price is ever right, I'd love to see it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
For whenever we are due a new stadium, the Sox need to commit to either the suburbs or downtown. I'd prefer downtown, personally.

I think I was the one who originally brought up the post office site a few months back. Admittedly I was ignorant of the history a few months back, but if the price is ever right, I'd love to see it.

with ref to the price, sox park, isn't it owned by the St of Ill. and the

sox leases it??? it was some kind of sweetheart deal with Daley and

JR.

with the St of Ill saying no to the sCrubs, the new park will need

to be finance by the owners. so i will doubt it with JR group./

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
People are driving less and less, clearly key to sox future is to ignore that trend and buy in the suburbs. Known by all for interesting nightlife and transportation convenience.

We'll actually be getting an experiment on this in the next couple years as the Braves open their new stadium.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
We'll actually be getting an experiment on this in the next couple years as the Braves open their new stadium.
well the braves have clearly made it known that the only brown people they want at the new braves stadium are the ones that work there on and off the field.

they chose the one county in the greater atlanta area that has steadfastly REFUSED extending MARTA rail access in it's borders.