Anybody else having trouble supporting this team?

ron883

Melky did the crime and then he did the time. If you think he was the genius behind a fake website, then that's a laugh. That has a third-world moronic agent/manager written all over it. You probably wouldn't mind if we had Miguel Cabrera instead, right? You could probably overlook the fact that he got wasted and knocked his wife around. Which is worse? No one's perfect.

A lot of players used to bet on baseball games and teams were known to throw games for such purposes. Then they used the White Sox to make an example to the league. You used to be able to scuff and spit on the baseball, then they made it illegal. You used to be able to take greenies before a game for a bit more pep. They had them out in bowls in the clubhouse like M&M's. Then they made it illegal. You used to be able to use steroids with no consequence, then they made that illegal.

Baseball players and teams are always looking for an edge. I still believe Roger Clemens is one of the best pitchers to ever play the game, I think Bonds was one of the game's best hitters. I think A-Rod is a rare talent. I think Q made a mistake as a teenager, and paid the price. Flowers was suspended. Bonds lied and lied and made a mockery of the game and its rules, as did A-Rod and Clemens. For that I have a tough time forgiving them. Same with Braun.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
Because this set of morals is fickle and applied mostly arbitrarily. Hating on the guys who got caught while signing the praises of those who didn't just doesn't make any sense.

Does nobody have serious suspicions about Konerko? I love the guy, loved what he did and enjoyed the send off he got, but if there ever was a roider on the Sox in the past 15 years he'd be it. The symptoms are all there (the body breaking down all at once, late career surge). Since its the White Sox he never got the national magnifying glass the Ortiz does, but come on... you cannot just pretend everyone who's done roids got caught and hate those guys while ignoring the rest.

You've completely lost the plot, if you ever had it. Now konerko is a roider because he aged too quickly in your opinion? I haven't spoken about anyone "who hasn't got caught yet", or sung their praises in this thread.

Just like any other "drug" there are many ways to mask them during tests. It's like talking down on someone who got a ticket for speeding. Even if you haven't received a ticket for it, we are all guilty of doing it.

Just because players don't get caught, doesn't mean they haven't done something like this.

It's best to simply leave your personal feelings out of it or not watch professional sports, period.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
Just like any other "drug" there are many ways to mask them during tests. It's like talking down on someone who got a ticket for speeding. Even if you haven't received a ticket for it, we are all guilty of doing it.

Just because players don't get caught, doesn't mean they haven't done something like this.

It's best to simply leave your personal feelings out of it or not watch professional sports, period.

Isn't the entire point of watching professional sports that you have a personal connection to it? I watch because I happen to have a favorite team determined almost entirely by the random location in the country where I was born. It's certainly not logical in the least, I could absolutely find more rational and productive things to do with my time. It's almost entirely a silly, emotion-driven choice and I'm ok with that.

My personal reactions and feelings are pretty much the only thing I care about with sports and the only motivation I'd have to watch them. So if my gut reaction is negative...that's a hard thing to deal with.

Right before Paulie hit his WS grand slam, Jermaine Dye was HBP. The problem was, the ball hit his bat ,not him. He took first base. Later, he was named MVP of the WS. Was anyone here sickened when this cheater was applauded through the streets of Chicago?

But to each his own. Everyone has a reason to like or dislike a player. As Rock said, cheer for the name on the front. As long as wife beaters ,child molestors etc. aren't on the team, it's pretty easy to separate the two.

Edited by Dick Allen

I know the testing process gets mocked a lot, but I for one like to believe that MLB is truly doing whatever it can to make it as hard to cheat as possible. I'd like to think that Melky is clean now, and was last year when he had a good year, so in my mind I'm rooting for a good clean baseball player...Living in the past is no fun.

You've completely lost the plot, if you ever had it. Now konerko is a roider because he aged too quickly in your opinion? I haven't spoken about anyone "who hasn't got caught yet", or sung their praises in this thread.

I'm saying he could be. So could anyone. Frank could've been lying the whole time about his stand against steroids. Jermaine Dye, Contreras, Jon Garland... it's all possible. You can no easier disprove it than someone else could prove it. Plenty of guys who roided are pretty good guys, does anyone really have anything that bad to say about Mike Cameron (maybe there's something I don't know he did off the field) or even Manny Ramirez (who was a little goofy and a bit childlike but not a bad person)?

I haven't heard of Melky Cabrera engaging in anything that actually harmed another person. Brett Myers name has already been brought up, did anyone ignore the Sox after they got him while they chased the division?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
Isn't the entire point of watching professional sports that you have a personal connection to it? I watch because I happen to have a favorite team determined almost entirely by the random location in the country where I was born. It's certainly not logical in the least, I could absolutely find more rational and productive things to do with my time. It's almost entirely a silly, emotion-driven choice and I'm ok with that.

My personal reactions and feelings are pretty much the only thing I care about with sports and the only motivation I'd have to watch them. So if my gut reaction is negative...that's a hard thing to deal with.

My connection is the name on the front of the Jersey, not on the back. Don't get my wrong, I prefer certain players but don't follow them when they leave my favorite team or care what they did before they go here.

If they help the Sox or Bears win, I don't care about anything else.

There's a lot of hyperbole in this thread. If you're upset about Melky joining the Sox, then I commend you and also am sorry for you because it must be tough to watch any entertainment in today's world. It is very hard to find actors, actresses, athletes, that haven't cheated in some way. Drugs, plastic surgery, infidelity, etc. must quickly narrow the options you have in the world. This isn't to say that you are wrong.

As for me, I love the Sox. They are a great form of entertainment for me. So now I root for Melky because he wears a Sox uniform. It's really that simple.

My connection is the name on the front of the Jersey, not on the back. Don't get my wrong, I prefer certain players but don't follow them when they leave my favorite team or care what they did before they go here.

If they help the Sox or Bears win, I don't care about anything else.

I won't go that far. If Jetty Sandusky was a pitching coach for the White Sox and all that went into protecting him at Penn St similarly had happened in the Sox hypothetical I would have a lot of trouble supporting the team until everyone involved (ownership on down) was gone.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
I won'ot go that far. If Jetty Sandusky was a pitching coach for the White Sox and all that went into protecting him at Penn St similarly had happened in the Sox hypothetical I would have a lot of trouble supporting the team until everyone involved (ownership on down) was gone.

Brett Myers acquisition really chapped my ass. I used to try to rationalize the busted vs the not busted by thinking the guys not busted may be clean. But it is pretty obvious there were plenty using not caught, so really what is the difference between thm and a guy who did his time? If Melky gets caught again, the Sox won't have to pay him for that time.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
Two things:

- Giants players were willing to endorse the idea of Sabean going after Melky this offseason, which shows you he's not a bad teammate

- I hate Notre Dame and the Cubs the most....but you better believe I'll cheer for Samardzija

Add the Valpo Vikings to that list for me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
Shipps, it took me a while to figure out why your post was bothering me, but this post cleared it up.

You're right, everyone is free to support who they want, but I see your post replying to me saying why I take into account both the front and back of the jersey...and then I see this kind of post calling everyone who has a negative response to signing a guy like this "Stupid petulant little whiners' and I wonder why the people who don't like a player like Cabrera are the ones who get the "everyone should support who they want" response.

Getting called "stupid" "Petulant little whiners" cleared that up for me, and that's not the only post in this thread espousing that.

I'm not saying that your way of approaching fandom is a wrong way. I do however know that saying your way of support is stupid and whiney IS the wrong way. As I said every one should be free to cheer and support whoever and however they want but when it gets to the point that they force their way upon others then it is wrong.

MAX/Balta, do you guys not believe in second chances in life? Should we not let convicts back into the workforce once they have served their time? Seems like you guys apply a double standard when it comes to athletes. Melky cheated, got caught, did his time and has a right to continue his career in the majors. You don't have to like him or even cheer for him, but to say it's hard to support your favorite team because of his addition is ridiculous IMO unless you consider PED use an unforgivable offense.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
MAX/Balta, do you guys not believe in second chances in life? Should we not let convicts back into the workforce once they have served their time? Seems like you guys apply a double standard when it comes to athletes. Melky cheated, got caught, did his time and has a right to continue his career in the majors. You don't have to like him or even cheer for him, but to say it's hard to support your favorite team because of his addition is ridiculous IMO unless you consider PED use an unforgivable offense.

It's just slimy of my favorite team to acquire him, if that's the right word. I'll learn to deal with it I'm sure.