2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 06:28 AM)
So who pitches the 1 game playoff for the Cubs? Lester or Arrieta? I assume cole will go for the Pirates.

Arrieta, easily.

I still think Washington has a say in this.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
People act like the Cubs have won a spot already.

80% shot right now, and then they have to win a road game to continue.

The way I see it...

The Cubs played the game the last 4 years. They took their lumps, they have smart people running their organization, they have a brilliant manager, and they're going to be a winning team for the next several years.

If you have animosity toward them and want them to lose, wait til October, because that's where they'll be most of the next 6 years.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
80% shot right now, and then they have to win a road game to continue.

The way I see it...

The Cubs played the game the last 4 years. They took their lumps, they have smart people running their organization, they have a brilliant manager, and they're going to be a winning team for the next several years.

If you have animosity toward them and want them to lose, wait til October, because that's where they'll be most of the next 6 years.

145363-Shia-LaBeouf-live-clapping-gif-Vg

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
I agree. Could you imagine a fan base enduring something as awful as 4 losing seasons in 5 years?

I can't imagine intensely following something I hate. Honestly it has more to say about the person, then anything else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
I can't imagine intensely following something I hate. Honestly it has more to say about the person, then anything else.

Ah, I misunderstood what the masochists was aimed at, thought it was referring to the multiple losing seasons they went through.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)

Than.

Personally, I'm in my 40's. When I was in my 20's and 30's, especially pre-2005, yeah, rooting against the Cubs was more of a thing. I think for the younger fan, it's something you do because you're hearing crap from friends and you want the Cubs to lose to shut other people up.

Then you get older, get tired of that sort of dialog, and you just root for your team, the White Sox.

So, while I don't give a crap if the Cubs win or lose, I can understand why a younger fan openly roots against them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)

Meh, hate watching is part of fun of sports. You are the one who says f*** Detroit any chance you get.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
Meh, hate watching is part of fun of sports. You are the one who says f*** Detroit any chance you get.

Hating Detroit is one thing. Watching all of Detroit's games as a part of that? Yeah, I can't get with that. Never have, never will.

Remember when the White Sox were one of the most dominant teams of the 21st century and were going to be a dynasty at least? When Beckham was MLB Networks FUTURE SECOND BASEMAN OF THE DECADE?

Sports are volatile. The Cubs could go on an extended run right now and be in the postseason every year.

Or their prospects could bust and they'll be back to the lab again.

For some reason, people like to forget that dynasties are hard to build when it comes to the Cubs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
Hating Detroit is one thing. Watching all of Detroit's games as a part of that? Yeah, I can't get with that. Never have, never will.

Now that I can understand. Actively watching games only to root against one team everyday is a waste of time.

Wait til the playoffs if that's your motive.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
Than.

Personally, I'm in my 40's. When I was in my 20's and 30's, especially pre-2005, yeah, rooting against the Cubs was more of a thing. I think for the younger fan, it's something you do because you're hearing crap from friends and you want the Cubs to lose to shut other people up.

Then you get older, get tired of that sort of dialog, and you just root for your team, the White Sox.

So, while I don't give a crap if the Cubs win or lose, I can understand why a younger fan openly roots against them.

This. I'm in my late 20s, live in Uptown because of work and my friends/girlfriend are Cubs fans. This season in particular has been tough to watch because the Sox have been so inconsistent and the Cubs have been so good. It's tiring to hate the Cubs but I am tired of hearing crap from Cub fans so I'd like to see them do what they always do to shut people up.

I have a feeling that their bullpen will be their Achilles heel and lead to an early exit in the playoffs, but I know they could win the WS in the coming years if they get stronger. Luckily I don't think they can beat someone after the one game playoff that I think they'll win. And I'd much rather see the Sox improve and start contending than see the Cubs lose or feel like I feel right now, which is seeing the Bears regular season nd ignoring baseball altogether (or watching the Sox randomly beat contenders).

Edited by MuckFinnesota

Teenage SnB would be hating life right now. Older, 30ish year old Snb is just envious that they did it the smart, right way.

I don't really "get" the cub hate anymore. I'm not rooting for them, but I'm not exactly rooting against them either. Hell, I'll probably make my way to wrigley sometime this month/september just to feel some pennant chase baseball buzz again.

The cubs fans in my office aren't obnoxious and I don't really hang out in bars anymore and have to deal w/ those type of fans. The people that know me know I'm not going to get into the cubs/sox thing so they don't either.

Now get off my lawn.

Edited by SnB

SnB nailed it for me as well.

In 2003, I was rolling in October with laughter. Today, I just don't care as much. I'll never pull for them but there's more important things in life.

My grandpa was a die hard Cubs fan and he died in 95 and never saw a World Series. I'm fortunate enough to have seen my team win one. If the Cubs do, I'll be happy for all the 60 plus year olds. F the townies though if that happens.

My attitude towards the NFL/Bears is somewhere between "ambivalence" and "f*** football," so I'm fine if the Cubs and baseball capture the city's imagination for a while longer. I'd rather sit down and have a conversation with a Cubs fan who knows his stuff than talk about the NFL or hockey.

Edited by 3GamesToLove