2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 08:39 PM)
ESPN Chicago poll of best pitcher in Chicago (as of 2 minutes ago):

Jake Arrietta - 62%

Chris Sale - 38%

Not sure I agree with that.

yet another pitcher that couldn't hack it in the AL and is now dominating the minor leagues, I mean National League

The M's weren't planning to keep Jackson after this season, despite the fact that they don't have a ready replacement for him in their system.

Basically, the Cubs should be the subject of Moneyball 2, with the "niche" being the ability to bring in youngish veterans like Arrieta, Montero, Coghlan, Strop, Grimm, Edwards, Ramirez, etc.

For all the hype around Bryant, Schwarber, Soler, Russell, Baez, Almora, etc., none of them have quite lived up to the expectations 100%. We've seen a very solid season out of Bryant, but the White Sox have had hitters like Quentin, Beckham and Viciedo never reach their full potential. There's no guarantee Schwarber will be a superstar, look at what Soler did last year and compare it to his Avi Garcia impression (albeit better defense) this year.

They've had misfires with players like Olt, Edwin Jackson, Baez, Almora, Soler, Alcantara, Lake, etc.

Just like with Mulder/Zito/Hudson, their starting pitching and bullpen have carried them more than the offense. They've also won more one run games (I think) than any team in baseball.

For now, with Arrieta on a Jose Contreras/Bumgarner-like run, anything is possible, but for all that strength up front, there's questions about Lester holding runners, the back end of the rotation, how the bullpen will hold up under playoff pressure, etc.

The Pirates are a playoff experienced-team, they'll undoubtedly be starting Cole at home, where they have a huge homefield advantage. It should be a good game, but all those Cubs' future "superstar" hitters like Bryant, Schwarber and Russell will look increasingly human in the playoffs. Remember how good the White Sox offense was in 2000? This Cubs' team isn't even close, and they were absolutely shut down by the Mariners that post-season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
More Cubs brilliance. They add solid pieces without dipping into their farm system cache.

I'm pretty sure you're incapable of posting without talking about how something is "genius", "brilliant", or "the greatest thing ever". :P

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 08:39 PM)
ESPN Chicago poll of best pitcher in Chicago (as of 2 minutes ago):

Jake Arrietta - 62%

Chris Sale - 38%

Not sure I agree with that.

Arrieta has certainly made this race a lot closer than it was at the beginning of the year, but Sale is still the clear winner right now. Those same voters would probably (incorrectly) vote Greinke over Kershaw too.

Edited by OmarComing25

Cubs have now lost 5 of 6 and starting next Monday begin a brutal stretch in which they play the Cards, Pirates, and Royals 14 of 21 games. They better hope Arrieta doesn't lose his mojo in September otherwise things could get very interesting. Outside of 6 games with the Dodgers, Giants schedule the rest of the way is extremely soft. I could see them putting together a run of something like 20-11 over their last 31 games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 08:51 PM)
The M's weren't planning to keep Jackson after this season, despite the fact that they don't have a ready replacement for him in their system.

Basically, the Cubs should be the subject of Moneyball 2, with the "niche" being the ability to bring in youngish veterans like Arrieta, Montero, Coghlan, Strop, Grimm, Edwards, Ramirez, etc.

For all the hype around Bryant, Schwarber, Soler, Russell, Baez, Almora, etc., none of them have quite lived up to the expectations 100%. We've seen a very solid season out of Bryant, but the White Sox have had hitters like Quentin, Beckham and Viciedo never reach their full potential. There's no guarantee Schwarber will be a superstar, look at what Soler did last year and compare it to his Avi Garcia impression (albeit better defense) this year.

They've had misfires with players like Olt, Edwin Jackson, Baez, Almora, Soler, Alcantara, Lake, etc.

Just like with Mulder/Zito/Hudson, their starting pitching and bullpen have carried them more than the offense. They've also won more one run games (I think) than any team in baseball.

For now, with Arrieta on a Jose Contreras/Bumgarner-like run, anything is possible, but for all that strength up front, there's questions about Lester holding runners, the back end of the rotation, how the bullpen will hold up under playoff pressure, etc.

The Pirates are a playoff experienced-team, they'll undoubtedly be starting Cole at home, where they have a huge homefield advantage. It should be a good game, but all those Cubs' future "superstar" hitters like Bryant, Schwarber and Russell will look increasingly human in the playoffs. Remember how good the White Sox offense was in 2000? This Cubs' team isn't even close, and they were absolutely shut down by the Mariners that post-season.

Bryant is putting up a 5+ WAR season in his rookie year. What are you talking about?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
Bryant is putting up a 5+ WAR season in his rookie year. What are you talking about?

People look at his batting average, but fail to recognize he's a plus fielder, baserunner, and hitter. I'm pretty sure he has completely lived up to the hype.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
People look at his batting average, but fail to recognize he's a plus fielder, baserunner, and hitter. I'm pretty sure he has completely lived up to the hype.

The hype was near Ruthian.

Despite that, he's been great. We'll see if he gets hit by a sophomore slump like Abreu.

Plus defender? No, no he's not. No metric says he is.

Edited by Dunt

I wouldn't call him a plus fielder. And I think it's his strikeouts that turn people off more than his average.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
I suppose you could call it a slump since he, statistically, is having a worse season than 2014, but he is still having a very strong season

He had a rough stretch when the Sox weren't hitting, but he's still having a strong season.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 08:15 AM)
The hype was near Ruthian.

Despite that, he's been great. We'll see if he gets hit by a sophomore slump like Abreu.

If Abreu is in a slump now, that would be awesome. I think he leveled out after the league had more experience with him, but we will see. It's the difference between potentially being a top 5 hitter in baseball or just a top 5 hitter in the divsion.