2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
Sub-2 era. Playoff team. We've seen multiple pitchers win mvp recently. get off your cubs-hating high horses.

If that were the case, then why would he even beat out Grienke in voting? Grienke has a lower ERA, WHIP, and better win percentage. Like I said before, ZERO chance Arrieta beats out Harper. That has nothing to do with Cubs hating.

http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/465...w.google.com%2F

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)
If that were the case, then why would he even beat out Grienke in voting? Grienke has a lower ERA, WHIP, and better win percentage. Like I said before, ZERO chance Arrieta beats out Harper. That has nothing to do with Cubs hating.

http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/465...w.google.com%2F

The Dodgers are stacked. Nobody had the Cubs being this good this year. Arrieta is the main reason. I said could. He probably won't win it. But it's not ridiculous and if he keeps this up through Sept?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 08:36 PM)
The Dodgers are stacked. Nobody had the Cubs being this good this year. Arrieta is the main reason. I said could. He probably won't win it. But it's not ridiculous and if he keeps this up through Sept?

Take Rizzo out of the Cubs lineup and I bet that has just as big an impact on this years' team

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 03:31 AM)
Arrieta has been good but when is the last time he shut down a good offensive unit? The Dodgers, Giants, and D-Backs are not those teams. The last time he gave up runs was to the lowly White Sox.

Dbacks led the NL in offense last I checked. He's also destroyed the Cards this year

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 10:31 PM)
Arrieta has been good but when is the last time he shut down a good offensive unit? The Dodgers, Giants, and D-Backs are not those teams. The last time he gave up runs was to the lowly White Sox.

I love typing this so much that I'll type it again: Junk team playing in a junk division in a junk league that plays the game in a junk way which allows junk pitchers and junk batters to have long careers. A bunch of high-strikeout rookies are 20 games over .500 with no #3-#5 starters and a junkfire bullpen? GMAFB. Buncha junk and the media never reports that aspect of it.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 03:48 AM)
Lol what?

Your biased is showing pretty pathetically I might say. The Dbacks are a 6 under team.

They came into today leading NL in runs scored. To me, that makes them a good offense, especially with the wind howling out today.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 10:54 PM)
They came into today leading NL in runs scored. To me, that makes them a good offense, especially with the wind howling out today.

Just stop. f***ing stop. My god man.

Guess Colorado has the best offense in the NL then.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 04:04 AM)
Just stop. f***ing stop. My god man.

Guess Colorado has the best offense in the NL then.

I'm confused, what other measure of how good of an offense is besides runs scored? Obviously there's the home/road factor, and prior to the injuries I thought the Giants had the best offense in the NL

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 11:09 PM)
I'm confused, what other measure of how good of an offense is besides runs scored? Obviously there's the home/road factor, and prior to the injuries I thought the Giants had the best offense in the NL

Find out how many times they did that against good pitching instead of s*** pitching. The N.L West has a lot of bottom feeding teams with bad pitching. The D-Backs are a mediocre to bad team. The cubs should punch them in the mouth.

Arietta is good but his competition this years has been utter s***.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 05:13 AM)
Find out how many times they did that against good pitching instead of s*** pitching. The N.L West has a lot of bottom feeding teams with bad pitching. The D-Backs are a mediocre to bad team. The cubs should punch them in the mouth.

Arietta is good but his competition this years has been utter s***.

Something I know you will agree with me on is that so many NL teams to 2-3 deep in their rotation and have a bunch of crap filling out the other starts. Reason Cards have been so good is they go 5 deep.

Ok c'mon going by overall record to judge an offense doesn't make sense. Arrieta has faced a lot of s*** offenses in the NL but the D'Backs have a pretty good offense.

Edit: For the record, the Cardinals don't have a great offense.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 07:25 PM)
With regards to the weak contact stuff, how about the fact that the reason his ERA is so high is because the Twins have destroyed him this year? In those games, it definitely wasn't weak contact. There's no doubt that a majority of his games, Sale just dominates.

I don't know, I still think the Minnesota thing is mostly a fluke. Look at Randy Johnson. In his most dominant season (2001), he had a BABIP of .315, well above his career average. I don't think that in a season where Johnson struck out around 40% of the batters he faced that the rest were squaring him up well. Seems more like the randomness that is baseball.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)
I love typing this so much that I'll type it again: Junk team playing in a junk division in a junk league that plays the game in a junk way which allows junk pitchers and junk batters to have long careers. A bunch of high-strikeout rookies are 20 games over .500 with no #3-#5 starters and a junkfire bullpen? GMAFB. Buncha junk and the media never reports that aspect of it.

This couldn't be more RIGHT ON. Perfect description of the situation. Junk, Junk, Junk. I really can't wait to watch them face a solid team in a playoff series and watch this all end. Hopefully, Pittsburgh will put an end to it quickly before it even gets to that point. The fact of the matter is, the NL sucks. And especially in the second half, the Cubs have gotten fat on bottom feeders. Whenever they face any decent pitcher, they usually lose. Or, face a decent hitting team without Arrieta pitching, they most likely lose. This is not Cubs hate, it is a fact. It has been pure junk. Tell me, during that huge run that has put them in playoff contention, how many freaking times did they beat the Brewers in that span? 11 or something? What a joke.

And having to hear David Kaplan and his goons compare this team to the 2004 Red Sox? Are you freaking kidding me? It is statements like that one that make me sick and actually make me hate my hometown city in general sometimes (when it relates to sports). Give me a break. The 2004 Red Sox would wipe the field with the 2015 Cubs. C'mon now...

Edited by soxfan85

It's pretty sad how some people can't give a pitcher credit pretty much because of what team he plays for. Has given up zero runs in 6 of his last 7 starts. Doesn't matter who he is pitching against, that is incredible. No cheap solo homers, nothing.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
It's pretty sad how some people can't give a pitcher credit pretty much because of what team he plays for. Has given up zero runs in 6 of his last 7 starts. Doesn't matter who he is pitching against, that is incredible. No cheap solo homers, nothing.

I kinda want the Cubs to get to the WS just to see the board implode. lol. I can't believe how many people here have the Cubs living rent free in their heads.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
I kinda want the Cubs to get to the WS just to see the board implode. lol. I can't believe how many people here have the Cubs living rent free in their heads.

I won't go that far. Ha

I'll just give credit where it's due.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)

When Chris Sale puts up the same numbers in interleague play , it's because he's the best pitcher in baseball. Arrieta does it and he's just lucky to be in the NL. Got it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
When Chris Sale puts up the same numbers in interleague play , it's because he's the best pitcher in baseball. Arrieta does it and he's just lucky to be in the NL. Got it.

I certainly didn't say Arrieta is not good, he has been fantastic. But in general, that team fed off of bottom feeders in the second half. Sorry, they did.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)

"living rent free in their head?" Very clever, you love to say that.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
I believe most people are giving Arrieta credit. Most people are just refuting that he's better than Chris Sale.

There lies the difference.

Arietta is good but I rather have Chris Sale.

Just my opinion.

Exactly. And the fact that someone thinks Arrieta "could" beat out Harper for MVP is comical. Ask ANY non-Cubs fan and they would agree.