2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 07:09 AM)
Ok, how about an example within the last 3 years when the disparity between the leagues has appeared to have grown

I'd have to think about it but wonder if it's really worth it because I'm sure people will keep changing the criteria to fit their side of the argument.

Konerko count? Vlad won an MVP in Anaheim.

Edited by Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
I'd have to think about it but wonder if it's really worth it because I'm sure people will keep changing the criteria to fit their side of the argument.

Konerko count? Vlad won an MVP in Anaheim.

Honestly I struggled to find a hitter that's gone from NL to AL in the last few years that's drastically improved. Meanwhile there have been a number of AL players moving to the NL with much greater success.

Not many examples. Cain and Escobar came out of an NL system.

Choo has done fairly well with the Rangers, although not worth his contract.

Altuve in the AL has held his own. Russell Martin has been pretty good but not like with Pitt.

Adam Eaton?

It does seem 90% of the improvements come from players going AL to NL.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 07:58 AM)

Altuve in the AL has held his own. Russell Martin has been pretty good but not like with Pitt.

Adam Eaton?

Cain and Escobar have been with the royals for more than a few years now. Choo had a much better offensive season with the Reds in 2013 than the last two years with the Rangers. The Astros are now in their third season in the AL - last time they played in the NL was 2012. Martin has had a worse offensive this year than last year with the Pirates. Eaton never played a full season in the NL before joining the Sox (88 games over two seasons with Arizona).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 07:58 AM)

Adam Eaton?

Choo started with the Indians, so that really doesnt count

Let's look at the top hitters to change leagues in the 2014-2015 off season and how they have fared this season after spending the entire season in the other league during the prior season:

Hanley Ramirez (NL to AL): D significantly

Pablo Sandoval (NL to AL): D significantly

Russell Martin (NL to AL): D significantly

Nori Aoki (AL to NL): NC - shortened season due to injury

Nick Markakis (AL to NL): I slightly

Adam Laroche (NL to AL): D significantly

Legend:

I = increased offensive production

D = decreased offensive production

NC = relatively no change in offensive production

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
If you rank the top 10 AL hitters by OPS this season, 5 of them switched from the NL to the AL. (Miggy, Tex, Bautista, E5, JD Martinez)

again, how many within the last 3 years where I believe there has been a significant shift in pitching (and hitting) talent between the leagues?

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
Let's look at the top hitters to change leagues in the 2014-2015 off season and how they have fared this season after spending the entire season in the other league during the prior season:

Legend:

All those guys are old and/or fat and/or lazy. They were expected to decrease. I'm not arguing against the NL being a weaker league, but you need better examples than 30+ old free agents.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)

Legend:

Not gonna bother disputing your general point, but I have a problem with a couple of those names. You can blame a lot of Hanley's season on age/injury/his general inconsistency, and Russell Martin is just kind of returning to normal after a career year. Assigning their declines to the league change just seems like shoehorning in a theory.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
Not gonna bother disputing your general point, but I have a problem with a couple of those names. You can blame a lot of Hanley's season on age/injury/his general inconsistency, and Russell Martin is just kind of returning to normal after a career year. Assigning their declines to the league change just seems like shoehorning in a theory.

I am open to other examples that refute the theory

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
All those guys are old and/or fat and/or lazy. They were expected to decrease. I'm not arguing against the NL being a weaker league, but you need better examples than 30+ old free agents.

I haven't looked at the 2013-2014 free agents that made the same move but I imagine you'd find similar results

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
Brian McCann is having his best hitting season since 2011, including two years in Atlanta. The weakness of the AL East is the only possible explanation, right?

His numbers are nearly identical to his last season in the NL (2013) and he was awful last season.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
I am open to other examples that refute the theory

Which I told you I'm not interested in finding.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
if it was that simple why wouldn't the NL batting champ every season reside in Colorado?

He wasn't saying it was that simple, but Coors field provides an undeniable increase to hitters' numbers.

Your example of Cuddyer makes no sense anyway. His first year in the NL was worse than his last in the AL. The NL is so bad, but it took him a year to realize that?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
Which I told you I'm not interested in finding.

He wasn't saying it was that simple, but Coors field provides an undeniable increase to hitters' numbers.

Your example of Cuddyer makes no sense anyway. His first year in the NL was worse than his last in the AL. The NL is so bad, but it took him a year to realize that?

Agreed Coors provides an advantage but enough that a 34 year old wins his first batting title after never hitting over 284 in the AL? I thought it was stated previously that the free agents I pointed out were bad examples because they were over 30 years old?

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
Agreed Coors provides an advantage but enough that a 34 year old wins his first batting title after never hitting over 284 in the AL? I thought it was stated previously that the free agents I pointed out were bad examples because they were over 30 years old?

What? I didn't even say anything about the other guys. I said Cuddyer doesn't support your point. He hit .260 his first year in Coors and then hit .331 the next one. How can you possibly attribute that to changing leagues?

And for the record, the Rockies are hitting .301 at Coors this season and .233 elsewhere. In the last five years they've hit no lower than .274 at home and no higher than .246 away. So yes, it is possibly enough for a 34-year-old to win his first batting title after never hitting over .284 in the AL.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
What? I didn't even say anything about the other guys. I said Cuddyer doesn't support your point. He hit .260 his first year in Coors and then hit .331 the next one. How can you possibly attribute that to changing leagues?

And for the record, the Rockies are hitting .301 at Coors this season and .233 elsewhere. In the last five years they've hit no lower than .274 at home and no higher than .246 away. So yes, it is possibly enough for a 34-year-old to win his first batting title after never hitting over .284 in the AL.

That's all good except for the fact that he also hit 311 on the road in 2013