2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
How they decide who plays in that game is bulls***.

Divisional play and the unbalanced schedule are a pox on the game.

Agreed on this. The least invasive way to fix this is to let division winners in, pick two Wild Card, and then seed them 1-5 by League Record. This way, an 83 win division winner does not reap the rewards of winning a bad division.

The more extreme way is to remove all divisions and rank them 1-15 at the end of the season. At that point, it gets a little strange. Do you rank them by League Record or overall record? That's the big question. Because if you rank by League record, the interleague games all become exhibition games.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Agreed on this. The least invasive way to fix this is to let division winners in, pick two Wild Card, and then seed them 1-5 by League Record. This way, an 83 win division winner does not reap the rewards of winning a bad division.

The more extreme way is to remove all divisions and rank them 1-15 at the end of the season. At that point, it gets a little strange. Do you rank them by League Record or overall record? That's the big question. Because if you rank by League record, the interleague games all become exhibition games.

There's no perfectly balanced schedule available. Some good fortune/bad luck will always exist. I'd eliminate divisions and play a schedule that's as close to balanced as possible. Top 3 get in, and the 4th and 5th best teams play one game to get in. I like the one-game thing. It keeps teams in it longer. But when things get overly unfair, I can't stand it. Teams shouldn't make the playoffs because of their location---especially when it's 5 of 15.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
There's no perfectly balanced schedule available. Some good fortune/bad luck will always exist. I'd eliminate divisions and play a schedule that's as close to balanced as possible. Top 3 get in, and the 4th and 5th best teams play one game to get in. I like the one-game thing. It keeps teams in it longer. But when things get overly unfair, I can't stand it. Teams shouldn't make the playoffs because of their location---especially when it's 5 of 15.

Agreed. This, of course, will be a lot easier when the NL gives up and adopts the DH, which may be sooner than we think. After that, you just schedule the season with the 29 other teams instead of making league, division considerations.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
Agreed. This, of course, will be a lot easier when the NL gives up and adopts the DH, which may be sooner than we think. After that, you just schedule the season with the 29 other teams instead of making league, division considerations.

I don't think that will ever happen. There's always going to be sides...either with the leagues the way they are, or more of an east/west thing.

Personally, if the Sox and Cubs ever have to play each other 18-19 games a year, I'm done with baseball.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
I don't think that will ever happen. There's always going to be sides...either with the leagues the way they are, or more of an east/west thing.

Personally, if the Sox and Cubs ever have to play each other 18-19 games a year, I'm done with baseball.

That would never happen. If you just even out the schedule, you would 12 teams 6 times and 17 teams 7 times. There is no viable solution where the White Sox would play the Cubs 16-18 times. In fact, you can almost delineate the leagues that way if you want, where all he teams you play 7 times are in you own league.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
That would never happen. If you just even out the schedule, you would 12 teams 6 times and 17 teams 7 times. There is no viable solution where the White Sox would play the Cubs 16-18 times. In fact, you can almost delineate the leagues that way if you want, where all he teams you play 7 times are in you own league.

I'm just talking about if/when they have the DH in the NL. Once that happens, I think the temptation to go to radical realignment will be there where the Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers, and Twins are in the same division---and they still have the unbalanced schedule where the Sox would play them 19 games a year.

That's why I'm ok with how the leagues are different rules now. It's never really bothered me.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)

This is the best way to do it. Also, I like the 1-game playoff for the Wildcard instead of a 3-game series. A 3-game series means the 1-seed is waiting almost a week to play their first playoff series, at that point it almost becomes a disadvantage. Also, I like that the 1-game playoff forces the Wildcard teams to burn through their ace. With a 3-game series they could potentially line up their ace for Game 1 of the next series, and I like that the 1-seed gets that advantage.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
The next two weeks will be filled with how the match up orientated Joe Maddon is perfect for the one game playoff where he can bring two starters, ten relievers and how his brilliance will shine.

Arrieta will make him look like a genius.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
The next two weeks will be filled with how the match up orientated Joe Maddon is perfect for the one game playoff where he can bring two starters, ten relievers and how his brilliance will shine.

Honestly, the next two weeks are relatively unimportant, IMHO as the Cubs are going to be in the WC game. Would it be nice to catch the Pirates? Sure, but reality is, once they're in, the pressure is mostly off for the time being.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 10:29 PM)

OMG, zoo day...the greatest thing ever. I'm sure we'll hear that the rest of the week on the radio.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
I honestly have no idea who wins the Cy Young at this point. I could see any of Greinke, Arrieta, and Kershaw winning it. Greinke's got the ERA, Kershaw dominates them both in advanced metrics, and Arrieta has the best combination of both.

Considering Arrieta has arbitration coming up, does winning the Cy Young affect his salary for the next season?

I'm not sure, but I'm sure he's a Cub next year. I think the length of the contract will be the point of contention between teams.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 09:26 PM)
I'm not sure, but I'm sure he's a Cub next year. I think the length of the contract will be the point of contention between teams.

There's no danger of him not being a Cub next year, I'm just wondering how that might affect things. I'm still not entirely sure how arbitration works.

I hope Arrieta dominates and Cole struggles in the one game playoff. I want to see the Cubs go far, maybe win the World Series this year. I have a lot of family that are Cubs fans and it will be pretty cool to see them be happy. They have seen too much heartbreak when it comes to the Cubs.

Edited by Soxfan90