2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 12:15 AM)
Differences:

1) All the attendant media hype surrounding one year of eye-popping numbers in the minors

2) 107 years and counting without a World Series title

3) Gary Scott/Kevin Orie/Bobby Hill/Brooks Kieschnick/Hee Sop Choi, etc. Long string of busts in the infield for the Cubs. Shawon Dunston never even quite lived up to the hype back in the mid 80's.

4) Kyle Schwarber=Babe Ruth (enough said)

You seem really jealous man. Lets be honest, I think you would be just as excited if the White Sox had Kris Bryant...

And I really dislike the argument stating past busts as evidence for why their current prospects will be busts in the future. How does that have ANYTHING to do with their prospects now?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ron883 @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
You seem really jealous man. Lets be honest, I think you would be just as excited if the White Sox had Kris Bryant...

And I really dislike the argument stating past busts as evidence for why their current prospects will be busts in the future. How does that have ANYTHING to do with their prospects now?

LOL.

It really comes down to pitching.

If the Cubs have success with Bryant, Soler and Russell, then they will be well on their way. If, for example, Schwarber, Baez and Russell all fail, almost nothing Epstein has planned can overcome that...at least until they have more money coming in from the new tv contract in 2019.

In the end, if Rodon's as good as predicted, he will be just as valuable, if not more. Bryant's not exactly known for playing "plus" defense at the hot corner, they still might have to convert him to the outfield as there's the possibility of defensive struggles bleeding over into his offensive game.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
LOL.

It really comes down to pitching.

If the Cubs have success with Bryant, Soler and Russell, then they will be well on their way. If, for example, Schwarber, Baez and Russell all fail, almost nothing Epstein has planned can overcome that...at least until they have more money coming in from the new tv contract in 2019.

In the end, if Rodon's as good as predicted, he will be just as valuable, if not more. Bryant's not exactly known for playing "plus" defense at the hot corner, they still might have to convert him to the outfield as there's the possibility of defensive struggles bleeding over into his offensive game.

If Bryant, Soler, and Russell have success, the Cubs have 3 perennial allstars. Soler and Bryant are almost guarantees IMO. Their corner outfield will be scary good. If Bryant and Rodon are as good as predicted, you take Rodon over Bryant? Can't say I agree with that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
What? It has everything to do with Boras and how soon the extra zeros on his commission check increase.

i really hope he catches a real bad case of STD.

you know who the real culprit is that neighbor hood squirrel swishing its fluffy tail around. yup.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (ron883 @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
If Bryant, Soler, and Russell have success, the Cubs have 3 perennial allstars. Soler and Bryant are almost guarantees IMO. Their corner outfield will be scary good. If Bryant and Rodon are as good as predicted, you take Rodon over Bryant? Can't say I agree with that.

top of the line starting pitchers are MUCH harder to find. a lefty for that matter is even harder to find, we have the luxury of possibly having 3.

Bryant is gonna be good, as will Soler likely. Calling them guarantees of being perennial allstars is a bit immature however.

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
top of the line starting pitchers are MUCH harder to find. a lefty for that matter is even harder to find, we have the luxury of possibly having 3.

Bryant is gonna be good, as will Soler likely. Calling them guarantees of being perennial allstars is a bit immature however.

Of course, it also comes down to Rizzo/Castro, catching and the pitching staff after Lester.

Baez has the potential to be an epic disaster/bust by the end of MAY.

Next, will Arrieta repeat? Kendricks? How will they respond to the pressure of increased expectations?

Hammel can repeat? I don't think so, not based on his entire career before 2014. Then you have that mess of Wood/J.Turner/Edwin Jackson at the back end, Wada, etc.

I wouldn't feel VERY confident in any pitcher other than Lester as a Cub fan.

To conclude, Soler needs to stay healthy, Bryant needs a "comfortable" position and Russell's still unproven. We'll see.

Edited by caulfield12

Cubs reassigned 3B Kris Bryant and SS Addison Russell to minor league camp.

Bryant was the best hitter in the Cactus League this spring, but the Cubs can get an extra year of control on him if they leave him off their roster for another two weeks. The 23-year-old top third base prospect should be mashing in the majors by the middle of April.

Per Rotoworld

Cry Boras cry

Edited by Soxfest

I wonder what the Cubs knew before getting a decent hitter in exchange for him?

Jeff PassanVerified account

‏@JeffPassan

Sources: Braves RHP Arodys Vizcaino suspended for 80 games for PEDs. Announcement expected sometime soon.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
Cubs reassigned 3B Kris Bryant and SS Addison Russell to minor league camp.

Bryant was the best hitter in the Cactus League this spring, but the Cubs can get an extra year of control on him if they leave him off their roster for another two weeks. The 23-year-old top third base prospect should be mashing in the majors by the middle of April.

Per Rotoworld

Cry Boras cry

I really wish Boras would force a swap for Rodon. Mutually beneficial.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 01:13 AM)
Bryant's interview on ESPN sounds like a completely entitled prick vs. Rodon.

He knows why he is in AAA. But the cases, even though they are in the same boat, apples and oranges. One guy has 24 total innings pitched in the minors, the other guy, an 1.100 OPS in about 750 plate appearances. I would imagine if Rodon stayed in AAA all this season and totally dominated, didn't get called up in September, and next spring was sent back to Charlotte after leading the Cactus League in several categories (on CSN yesterday they claimed Bryants spring was the second best of all time) he would probably be at least as upset as Bryant, although I do think Bryant should have just kept his mouth shut. It isn't like he will change Theo's mind.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 10:51 PM)
Lol. Rodon seems legit but I would take Bryant without a second thought.

Always take the pitching over hitting. Pitching wins the post season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
The only thing I think Bryant shouldnt have said was that shot about being better than players on the the team last fall. Its absolutely true, but thats just something you dont say

Shots fired Mike Olt!

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
Kaplan just said he would take Hendricks over Rodon for the next 2 years lmao.

Also, said yesterday morning that the Cubs top 3 starters are better than the Sox, before Haugh knocked him down a notch.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
The only thing I think Bryant shouldnt have said was that shot about being better than players on the the team last fall. Its absolutely true, but thats just something you dont say

i guess he has no problems with being humble.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
True but the Giants showed us you only need one starting pitcher to succeed. The Royals almost won with two.

That's why you get as many as you can. I'm sure the Giants thought it would be Lincecum for awhile. Pitcher's success is fickle. They still won due to the pitching.