2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
What was Maddon ejected for?

Probably arguing balls and strikes. Myers took an 0-2 pitch that looked like it had the bottom of the zone right before hitting the go-ahead homer.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)
Len Kasper ‏@LenKasper 30m30 minutes ago

Theo said if not for inj's at 3B (Olt/La Stella), would have waited to bring up Bryant. Prefers to do it on road. MLB needs trumped all.

"MLB needs trumped all." Uh-huh, Len. If Theo says it, it must be true. Because Theo also said Bryant was sent to AAA, in the first place, for "baseball reasons." Yet here he is, just 2 weeks later, batting cleanup for the big league team in his FIRST GAME. Boy, those AAA coaches sure must be great.

Kasper's a complete Theo/Jed fanboy hack. Boring.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
For being slurped by the Chicago media because he "drinks wine" and "rides his bicycle" and "wears fun glasses" and "has never won a World Series."

I only made up one of those.

He also has a camper and likes movies.

Oh and he is positive. Veeeeeeery positive so that is the cure for all bad managing.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
"MLB needs trumped all." Uh-huh, Len. If Theo says it, it must be true. Because Theo also said Bryant was sent to AAA, in the first place, for "baseball reasons." Yet here he is, just 2 weeks later, batting cleanup for the big league team in his FIRST GAME. Boy, those AAA coaches sure must be great.

Kasper's a complete Theo/Jed fanboy hack. Boring.

I can't get mad at cubs fans for being excited. Bryant's a rare talent, but the pass Theo gets for sending him down is ridiculous. I don't disagree with Theo's decision at all, but the idea that Theo doesn't bring rookies north for opening day (or hasn't historically) for developmental reasons is a joke. He did it to buy an extra year of control. Again, I don't think Theo should be criticized for sending Bryant down, but let's not act like it was for developmental reasons.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
I can't get mad at cubs fans for being excited. Bryant's a rare talent, but the pass Theo gets for sending him down is ridiculous. I don't disagree with Theo's decision at all, but the idea that Theo doesn't bring rookies north for opening day (or hasn't historically) for developmental reasons is a joke. He did it to buy an extra year of control. Again, I don't think Theo should be criticized for sending Bryant down, but let's not act like it was for developmental reasons.

Is there any history of GMs coming out and saying something like "of course we're sending his ass down for 12 days. It gets us another year of control." What happens PR-wise in that case?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
Is there any history of GMs coming out and saying something like "of course we're sending his ass down for 12 days. It gets us another year of control." What happens PR-wise in that case?

I don't think what Theo did was wrong. I don't Theo needs to come out and say why he did it.

The non-Cubs media should be more skeptical, and they haven't been. They have accepted that Theo doesn't bring rookies up for opening day for developmental reasons.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)

Certain members of the media were all over the Cubs for it. Phil Rodgers, Jon Morosi, everyone at the Sun-Times. They all said garbage like "oh he's one of your best 25, he should be on the team". Every intelligent person knows why Kris Bryant started in the minors and why it was a good decision. Epstein has to say that it was for development. Theo doesn't usually bring up rookies for Opening Day or start them at home. How is that not a fact? I do truly believe that Bryant was going to come up and debut on Monday in Pittsburgh. That would have made the most sense. He wasn't truly in the minors for developmental purposes but I do believe that he was promoted 3 games earlier than they wanted to.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 10:55 PM)

It's not about the PR, it has something to do with the players' union having cause for legal action. A GM will never be honest about that.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
This covers the situation for me.

But how hilarious of a spectacle was yesterday? My god. Bryant strikes out in three pitches. Strikes out a couple more times. Gets a chance late, fails. Cubs get an early lead on a beautiful day, blow it. That was the most Cubby scenario possible. They are the MLB's Cleveland Browns times two.

He'll be a great hitter, but it's funny how he made one good catch and they made it seem like he had the greatest defensive game in history.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
Standing ovation for Bryant after he draws a walk

Broken bat flare single to center and Wrigley looks like USCF after the Konerko grand slam in the 2005 WS.

I think Bryant is going to be great offensively, but it os already beyond annoying.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 07:45 PM)
Broken bat flare single to center and Wrigley looks like USCF after the Konerko grand slam in the 2005 WS.

I think Bryant is going to be great offensively, but it os already beyond annoying.

Couldn't agree more. Maybe we should remind them that Beckham's first career hit was a blooper as well :)

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
It's not about the PR, it has something to do with the players' union having cause for legal action. A GM will never be honest about that.

How can the players' union have legal recourse against application of a rule they agreed to? Epstein has no obligation to state his reasons for public consumption.