2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
Maddon says Castro not just getting a day off today. This is the Cubs lineup. Another bust of a prospect having his Cubs career coming to an end.

He isnt a Theo guy though, or is he?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
Unfortunately this move makes them better, assuming Coghlan isn't Micah Johnson-esque defensively at 2nd.

Once Baez comes up and plays second and move Russell over to short that may become their best case scenario.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
He isnt a Theo guy though, or is he?

Once Baez comes up and plays second and move Russell over to short that may become their best case scenario.

Baez's plate discipline and swing are so bad though.

At least they were last season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
Unfortunately this move makes them better, assuming Coghlan isn't Micah Johnson-esque defensively at 2nd.

Coghlan is batting .240 as a part time player. I see why the Cubs are doing this but only reason it makes the,meter is it gets Schwarber in everyday.

Has Coghlan played 2B in the past?

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 12:56 AM)
grantland did a nice piece a while ago about their core here they've got 57M coming off the books going into next year so it'll be intresting to see where all that money gets alocated.

As someone rooting against the Cubs, there's nothing better than giving Theo Epstein money with the expectation that he spends it in large chunks on free agents

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 08:59 PM)
As someone rooting against the Cubs, there's nothing better than giving Theo Epstein money with the expectation that he spends it in large chunks on free agents

With the foundation of Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Russell and Soler....it would be hard for anyone to mess that up. Hawk as GM could probably keep them competitive.

Another rocket for Schwarber, this time a double. He's completely turned around that offense, which had been struggling. They're going to sweep the Giants in my opinion, as they couldn't have gotten luckier with these pitching match-ups.

On Draft Day 2014, I never heard of Kyle Schwarber, so I'm not pointing fingers...

That said, if they did a re-draft now and the Astros and Marlins still took Aiken and Kolek, would the Sox be dumb not to take Schwarber, or are we still happy with Rodon?

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 08:22 PM)
On Draft Day 2014, I never heard of Kyle Schwarber, so I'm not pointing fingers...

That said, if they did a re-draft now and the Astros and Marlins still took Aiken and Kolek, would the Sox be dumb not to take Schwarber, or are we still happy with Rodon?

I've been thinking the same thing, and I would still go with Rodon. He has the chance to be an ace. However, Schwarber has a much higher floor than Rodon does. You put Schwarber in our lineup right now, and he's either our best/2nd best hitter with Abreu.

The Giants are very resilient.

They'll tinker with some August small moves. Still would be shocked if they're not right there til the end.

The only surprise is the reason for falling short will be pitching and not hitting.

As far as Schwarber goes, that would have been an excellent question for Hostetler...he might not have pinned it down to one, but who were the top 2-3 (we know Hoffman early) that the Sox were considering if Rodon was off the board?

I have been throwing Schwarber love since the start but just like Bryant the most important part is how he adjusts when the league adjusts to him. Who knows, he might adjust like Beckham did...which was never.

Panik's replacement has been a disaster defensively for the Giants today. With that said, Schwarber continues to be amazing.

Vogelsong, Cain and Peavy would have been a dangerous rotation 5 years ago. Now, they're going to be responsible for the Giants not making the postseason this year. Hard to see this team outlasting the Cubs and Nationals.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)

I certainly am content with a pitcher with dominant stuff. Talk to me in a couple years, but I can't complain about that move.

Looks like it was THIS close to being Hamels pitching for the Giants...surely they'll add to their starting staff in the offseason with all the money coming free in terms of dead weight contracts, but it would have given them a real shot this year.

So the odd/even year jinx continues, it would seem.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
Where can we get an Addison Russell? I want one of those.

I really want a Carlos Correa.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
We could have had Iglesias. Not the pop/overall upside, but a better defender.

I was thinking about that yesterday. Was kind of stoked to get Avi in the end but now, I'd take Jose all day.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
Season from hell, highlighted perfectly by this weekend. Arrieta has become the best pitcher in the city.

I picture you having a Jim Carrey like breakdown in Liar Liar watching the Cubs.