2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 11:20 PM)
I still think Lester is going to be an absolutely dreadful contract sooner rather than later.

All the Cub fans, radio guys, and announcers keep saying his inability to hold runners hasn't really cost him because a great deal of the stolen bases he's given up haven't scored, but he's been pretty lucky in that regard and it's going to be hard to keep that up (as constantly turning singles into doubles and triples is never a good thing), and it also ignores all the extra stuff that happens because of it that doesn't show up in the box score, like potential double plays being taken away. For example, in the first Sox-Cubs series Melky was on first and Avi hit a probable double-play ball to Bryant. However, because of the huge lead that Melky had, there was no way Bryant was going to get him at 2nd, and that brief hesitation caused him to throw the ball away. Little stuff like that can easily turn a game, and it has cost him a lot already.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 11:20 PM)
I still think Lester is going to be an absolutely dreadful contract sooner rather than later.

It is already a dreadful contract. He has had flashes of being an ace, but he has had a lot more flashes of being mediocre to bad than we ever saw from him. And now that the first base thing has been exposed, it has become even worse.

If they play Pittsburgh in a wildcard playoff, they are going to steal 50 bags against him

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)
It is already a dreadful contract. He has had flashes of being an ace, but he has had a lot more flashes of being mediocre to bad than we ever saw from him. And now that the first base thing has been exposed, it has become even worse.

If they play Pittsburgh in a wildcard playoff, they are going to steal 50 bags against him

If they make the playoffs this year, frankly ahead of what seemed to be their expected schedule, that quick playoff appearance will probably be worth so much good press that it'll pay for Lester's contract on its own.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)
If they make the playoffs this year, frankly ahead of what seemed to be their expected schedule, that quick playoff appearance will probably be worth so much good press that it'll pay for Lester's contract on its own.

So making a 1 game WC is worth at least $155 million now? LMAO, that isn't anywhere near what you post in every White Sox related post.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)

The Cubs may have money, but that doesnt mean that they can afford to throw around 150 million dollar contracts willy nilly and shrug and walk away if it didnt work out. The last contract that they had like that ended horribly for them(Soriano), even with the immediate playoff return. And it ushered in a new front office because of how badly the money was handled throughout that regime.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
So making a 1 game WC is worth at least $155 million now? LMAO, that isn't anywhere near what you post in every White Sox related post.

For the Cubs, with their ballpark situation? Taking them back to filling that place plus the ticket brokers plus their new ad space plus yearly ticket price increases?

Yeah, I think getting a wild card birth for them would be monstrous. Especially if they win and get the extra 3 game series. They're up about 3000 ticket sales over last year but unless they shrank their park in the renovations they have room for another 5000/game. Compile that over multiple years and that's Lester-level money just off the ticket sales...

And that's without mentioning the fact that people are going to be tuning into their games on TV in couple years before their TV deal renews.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 08:56 AM)
The Cubs may have money, but that doesnt mean that they can afford to throw around 150 million dollar contracts willy nilly and shrug and walk away if it didnt work out. The last contract that they had like that ended horribly for them(Soriano), even with the immediate playoff return. And it ushered in a new front office because of how badly the money was handled throughout that regime.

I generally disagree with the statement that the soriano contract did not work out for them despite the way it ended. The Soriano contract worked out perfectly for the management regime, as did their other big deals.

Those big deals were signed by the Tribune Company at a time when they wanted to sell the team. Those big deals got them into the playoffs and maximized the revenue coming in by selling out the ballpark. Those high revenue numbers helped produce buyers who bought into that ongoing revenue stream and made the Tribune Company a lot of money.

The previous management regime was under instructions to get them into the playoffs at all cost so that the team could be easily sold. It damaged the franchise in the near-term after the sale was complete, no quesiton about it, but they've been able to pull off a fairly rapid reconstruction all things considered.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
I was thinking today of how its going to be kind of exciting and fun to cheer against the Cubs down the stretch and possibly in the playoffs. I know I dont have the disdain for them as I once did but enough to cheer for their opposing team and enjoy the games.

For me, I find their players an interesting watch; especially the young guys.

The problem is, I really despise the attitudes of their fans.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 07:56 AM)
For the Cubs, with their ballpark situation? Taking them back to filling that place plus the ticket brokers plus their new ad space plus yearly ticket price increases?

Yeah, I think getting a wild card birth for them would be monstrous. Especially if they win and get the extra 3 game series. They're up about 3000 ticket sales over last year but unless they shrank their park in the renovations they have room for another 5000/game. Compile that over multiple years and that's Lester-level money just off the ticket sales...

And that's without mentioning the fact that people are going to be tuning into their games on TV in couple years before their TV deal renews.

They already fill the place. If anything, your theory should work better for the White Sox since they have more available seats. The White Sox are in the same boat with TV renewals. Why is spending money to try to win wrong for them if making a WC is worth $155 million? Everything you claimed how the Cubs would benefit applies to the other side of town, yet doom and gloom, doom and gloom, don't spend any money ever.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
They already fill the place. If anything, your theory should work better for the White Sox since they have more available seats. The White Sox are in the same boat with TV renewals. Why is spending money to try to win wrong for them if making a WC is worth $155 million? Everything you claimed how the Cubs would benefit applies to the other side of town, yet doom and gloom, doom and gloom, don't spend any money ever.

?

Their attendance last year was 32,000/game, this year it's ~35,000, their playoff years it was >40,000.

For the White Sox, spending money to get into the playoffs would be a fine and successful plan and one I'd support. There is one small problem with the spending of money the White Sox did this year in execution of that plan.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
?

Their attendance last year was 32,000/game, this year it's ~35,000, their playoff years it was >40,000.

For the White Sox, spending money to get into the playoffs would be a fine and successful plan and one I'd support. There is one small problem with the spending of money the White Sox did this year in execution of that plan.

If Jon Lester isn't leading them into the playoffs regularly, then the $155 million they committed to him will never be paid for by making a WC this year. How does making a WC this year put an addition 5k in the seats 5 years from now? Lester has to perform. If the Cubs are worthy of selling out every game, and getting hundreds of millions for their TV rights, it is going to have to be more than Jon Lester. They are going to have to be paying these other guys huge money eventually, making Lester's contract an albatross. Ricketts did sell a portion of the team to help pay down the rehab costs.

I do hope when you are complaining this winter when the Sox pay a lot of money to a hitter than you will note if they make the WC the contract should pay for itself.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 06:25 AM)

If they play Pittsburgh in a wildcard playoff, Arrieta should be the one starting the game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
?

They were also missing 5000ish seats for half the season.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 08:06 AM)
For me, I find their players an interesting watch; especially the young guys.

The problem is, I really despise the attitudes of their fans.

Agreed, the only player I really dislike on their team is Fowler, but that's just because he's a huge baby. However, while they're certainly more interesting to watch than the White Sox, I don't like watching their offense that much because they're kind of a three-outcome team - walk, strikeout, homerun (the Astros this year are even more of an extreme in this regard). All they do is take pitch after pitch after pitch and rarely swing the bat. That's not that exciting to watch IMO. It's why Yankees-Red Sox games the past decade have been such a bore to watch, it's like a game of chicken of who can swing the bat less. The extreme patience might work a lot of the time (though it does lead to a lot of strikeouts too), but it's far from exciting.

I dont listen to too much of ESPN radio but the past few days I have listened to it and my god Ben Finfer is one confident dude for the Cubs. LOL This guy talks about them like they are a dynasty already.

I really dont want to get into the Cubs/Sox hate that goes on but I would laugh at anyone that would have so much confidence in a team that hasnt won a world series in over 100 years like he has. They are a good team but cmon now.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
I dont listen to too much of ESPN radio but the past few days I have listened to it and my god Ben Finfer is one confident dude for the Cubs. LOL This guy talks about them like they are a dynasty already.

I really dont want to get into the Cubs/Sox hate that goes on but I would laugh at anyone that would have so much confidence in a team that hasnt won a world series in over 100 years like he has. They are a good team but cmon now.

Are we sure Finfer and J4L aren't the same person?

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)

Jay Zawaski on the score is being a major Cubs cheerleader lately as well