2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 23, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
Do the Cubs hit 90% of their HRs at home? Feels like it.

Bryant is a superstar at home and a below-level replacement player on the road. Like I said yesterday, with the wind blowing out as hard as it is, this lineup is impossible to shut down.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
Bryant is a superstar at home and a below-level replacement player on the road. Like I said yesterday, with the wind blowing out as hard as it is, this lineup is impossible to shut down.

You gotta use the wind to out slug them which the Tigers did, but the Braves have no chance with this ugly lineup .

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 23, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
You gotta use the wind to out slug them which the Tigers did, but the Braves have no chance with this ugly lineup .

Getting Castro out of the lineup has really helped them as well. They basically replaced one of the worst hitters in all of baseball with one of the best so far in his early career.

Also, Schwarber would now be tied for 2nd most homers on the Sox in almost 300 less at bats than Avi

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
Another 2 homers in the first for the Cubs today. Seems like everyone in their lineup is currently on fire. Hopefully Cardinals remember how to score, as Cubs/Pirates are quickly closing on the NL Central lead.

The Pirates are on fire and have been IIRC the best team in baseball since May 1, and their lineup just got better. It'd actually be nice to see a race in the NL Central the next couple weeks.

Here's one that's bothering me and what inspired this post: right now, the #1, #2, and #4 records in baseball are all in the NL Central. If the season ended today, the #2 and #4 records in baseball would square off in a 1 game play-in for the wild card and then neither would have home field advantage in the next rounds. The Pirates would be leading any division in baseball other than the NL Central and they need a run to avoid a 1 game play in. The Cubs would be leading any divisions other than the AL and NL Centrals, they'd be winning 4 of the divisions in baseball with their record, and they're almost certainly on a path to a play-in game.

It's a little bit surprising that the 1 game playin has a chance to hit 2 of the top 4 teams so soon after it was implemented.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
Another 2 homers in the first for the Cubs today. Seems like everyone in their lineup is currently on fire. Hopefully Cardinals remember how to score, as Cubs/Pirates are quickly closing on the NL Central lead.

The Pirates are on fire and have been IIRC the best team in baseball since May 1, and their lineup just got better. It'd actually be nice to see a race in the NL Central the next couple weeks.

Here's one that's bothering me and what inspired this post: right now, the #1, #2, and #4 records in baseball are all in the NL Central. If the season ended today, the #2 and #4 records in baseball would square off in a 1 game play-in for the wild card and then neither would have home field advantage in the next rounds. The Pirates would be leading any division in baseball other than the NL Central and they need a run to avoid a 1 game play in. The Cubs would be leading any divisions other than the AL and NL Centrals, they'd be winning 4 of the divisions in baseball with their record, and they're almost certainly on a path to a play-in game.

It's a little bit surprising that the 1 game playin has a chance to hit 2 of the top 4 teams so soon after it was implemented.

If this were 23 years ago, the #2 and #4 records in baseball wouldn't be making the postseason at all, and if this were two years ago, the #4 team wouldn't be making it in. Let's not feel too sorry for them.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
If this were 23 years ago, the #2 and #4 records in baseball wouldn't be making the postseason at all, and if this were two years ago, the #4 team wouldn't be making it in. Let's not feel too sorry for them.

It's not a matter of feeling sorry for them, but yet another example of why there is no need for divisions in baseball when 5 of the 15 teams in each league qualify for postseason.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
This game going as predicted. Softest triple I've ever seen is going to probably get the Cubs a 1-0 win as Kluber was dominating.

Should it have been caught? With how much Kluber dominates righties, not sure why they even pitched to Rizzo with open base.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
Should it have been caught? With how much Kluber dominates righties, not sure why they even pitched to Rizzo with open base.

Diving attempt. He just closed his glove too soon. Would have been great but it was just a lofty fly that the wind carried away from right fielder.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 08:45 PM)
Watch them not hit any HRs on this road trip.

Should've been routine fly to right but wind carried it out.

Nice timing for them to face the Dodgers with LA playing their worst ball of the season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 06:34 PM)
How many times did the Sox potentially lose a playoff berth due to the inability to beat last place teams? Those 116 loss Tigers of last decade come to mind.

The Royals more in 2006, 2010 and 2012.

Before that, the Tigers and Twins on the topside.

This cub fascination is such a city of chicago thing. This past weekend I was wearing my Sox shirt (ever since I had kids, when I'm not at work, I usually am wearing either a Sox / Bulls / Bears shirt so my kids can start to like the logo's / mascots (force em into it while they are young, haha) and a guy goes, oh man, I'm so envious of you...getting to know what its like to win a series, hell even see a world series in their lifetime. I respond back, yeah, but I'm envious of you and your team and he goes, don't be, we'll blow it. I learned a long time ago, don't get your hopes up....just watch, Rodon / Fullmer will become aces and you'll have a loaded rotation with Sale / Q and you'll get to the series and the Cubs prospects will end up busting and Lester will tear his arm. We both got a good chuckle out of that and kids respectively said hi to each other.

Cubs story and the team is a pretty cool one.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
This cub fascination is such a city of chicago thing. This past weekend I was wearing my Sox shirt (ever since I had kids, when I'm not at work, I usually am wearing either a Sox / Bulls / Bears shirt so my kids can start to like the logo's / mascots (force em into it while they are young, haha) and a guy goes, oh man, I'm so envious of you...getting to know what its like to win a series, hell even see a world series in their lifetime. I respond back, yeah, but I'm envious of you and your team and he goes, don't be, we'll blow it. I learned a long time ago, don't get your hopes up....just watch, Rodon / Fullmer will become aces and you'll have a loaded rotation with Sale / Q and you'll get to the series and the Cubs prospects will end up busting and Lester will tear his arm. We both got a good chuckle out of that and kids respectively said hi to each other.

Cubs story and the team is a pretty cool one.

I wish we were able to have that friendly banter. Although I will say its not bad all the time. There are some Cub fan's that I interact with that are cool and level headed about things and arent just looking to get a rise out of sox fans but those are the minority in my world. I mostly just ignore them though.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 10:52 PM)
I wish we were able to have that friendly banter. Although I will say its not bad all the time. There are some Cub fan's that I interact with that are cool and level headed about things and arent just looking to get a rise out of sox fans but those are the minority in my world. I mostly just ignore them though.

Cubs fans have actually been less annoying than the Chicago media so far this year. The Cubs fans in the media have been horrible.