2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 07:35 PM)
Rodney is on fumes like Soriano earlier.

Rodney had a pretty good year last season, I wouldn't say he is on fumes as much as he is having an off season. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him be good for the Cubs down the stretch. Soriano has been in and out of baseball for the last three seasons

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 10:05 PM)
Based on what?

Some of the top teams are in the NL right now.

Would you say that about the Cardinals or Pirates too?

Under .500 is a big stretch but I think all three of those teams would have a worse record in the AL for sure. Way too many easy wins in the NL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 05:14 PM)
Wanting to talk about the Cubs on a board for the White Sox seems pretty silly to me. You would think if you were a fan of the Cubs, you'd want to talk with people who were also fans of the Cubs.

Here there really aren't other Cubs fans as much as there are the paranoid and angry about what the Cubs are doing, plus the token King of Bandwagons.

What is sad is it's pretty obvious they might finally win a WS. Probably not this year but soon. They have the core. Now they just need to keep signing free agent pitchers. For them to not win it all, they have to blow it like we did with Shark.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 03:29 AM)
What is sad is it's pretty obvious they might finally win a WS. Probably not this year but soon. They have the core. Now they just need to keep signing free agent pitchers. For them to not win it all, they have to blow it like we did with Shark.

If I had to handicap the WS champions over the next 5 years, the Cubs would only trail the Cardinals in the NL. Their organization is just incredible at this point.

Think about next year. The Cubs should be favorites to land David Price (they have his former coach). Lester, Price, Arrieta? Holy cow.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 08:18 AM)
The NL is better than the AL overall, though. They have the hardest division in baseball. They'd be 30 over in the AL Central.

I don't how you can say that. First of all, the AL is 140-120 in interleague play. Small sample size, but the Cubs have a losing record against the AL Central this season (I'm not saying they'd be under .500 in our division though). The AL is clearly better this year in my opinion, the worst six teams in the major leagues are all in the NL. All the top teams in the NL get to pad their win totals against them. I'm not convinced that the Pirates or Cardinals are better than the Blue Jays or Astros at this point, the schedules are too imbalanced and there's too much variation in baseball to simply say "better record = better team".

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
I don't how you can say that. First of all, the AL is 140-118 in interleague play, that's a .542 winning percentage, or an 88 win pace. Small sample size, but the Cubs have a losing record against the AL Central this season (I'm not saying they'd be under .500 in our division though). The AL is clearly better this year in my opinion, the worst six teams in the major leagues are all in the NL. All the top teams in the NL get to pad their win totals against them. I'm not convinced that the Pirates or Cardinals are better than the Blue Jays or Astros at this point, the schedules are too imbalanced and there's too much variation in baseball to simply say "better record = better team".

It's been discussed endlessly and tirelessly that the lack of a DH is a major disadvantage to NL teams in interleague play. Until there's a DH in the NL, they will continue to have a worse record.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
It's been discussed endlessly and tirelessly that the lack of a DH is a major disadvantage to NL teams in interleague play. Until there's a DH in the NL, they will continue to have a worse record.

Even so, I'm not sure where you're getting that the NL is better though. There's no easy wins in the AL, I would take the A's over like 6-7 NL teams. The NL has many of the top records, sure, but they also have all the really s***ty teams. It begs the question of just whether the top is that good, or the bottom is that bad. Probably a bit of both, but I'm not convinced the top NL teams are any better than the top AL teams. However, the bottom of the NL is pretty awful.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
Even so, I'm not sure where you're getting that the NL is better though. There's no easy wins in the AL, I would take the A's over like 6-7 NL teams. The NL has many of the top records, sure, but they also have all the really s***ty teams. It begs the question of just whether the top is that good, or the bottom is that bad. Probably a bit of both, but I'm not convinced the top NL teams are any better than the top AL teams. However, the bottom of the NL is pretty awful.

Exactly. This is all a baseball fan needs to acknowledge. The pitching in the NL is absolutely horrendous. "But they have Kershaw & Greinke & Bumgarner & Arrieta". Shut up. Nobody can name more than a couple #2 starters in the NL, let alone the #3-5s. It's junk ball, plain and simple. Just acknowledge it.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
Exactly. This is all a baseball fan needs to acknowledge. The pitching in the NL is absolutely horrendous. "But they have Kershaw & Greinke & Bumgarner & Arrieta". Shut up. Nobody can name more than a couple #2 starters in the NL, let alone the #3-5s. It's junk ball, plain and simple. Just acknowledge it.

To be fair there's plenty of s*** pitching in the AL too, just look at the Tigers and Red Sox staffs.

I'm not one of those AL fans that would go "Hurr Durr the Cardinals would be lucky to win 76 games with an AL schedule", but to just look at the records of the top teams in both leagues (while completely ignoring the bottom) and concluding that one league is better than the other solely based on that is a really lazy way to look at it.

AL Central vs NL Central 51 AL, 48 NL

Pretty close. Royals and Cubs have a makeup in late Sep., otherwise the Central interleague schedule is over.

The Big 3 in the NL Central are 33-26 in interleague games.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
AL Central vs NL Central 51 AL, 48 NL

Pretty close. Royals and Cubs have a makeup in late Sep., otherwise the Central interleague schedule is over.

The Big 3 in the NL Central are 33-26 in interleague games.

Sox were 3-3 vs. the Cubs and 2-2 vs. the Cards. Why are they considered so good and the Sox so bad?

These things are so random. You might have your bottom 3 starters face their top 3 in a series. Its hard for me to think a team could be 20-30 games over .500 in one league and just be average in the other. I think the teams that are good in each league would be good if they were in the other league.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
Sox were 3-3 vs. the Cubs and 2-2 vs. the Cards. Why are they considered so good and the Sox so bad?

These things are so random. I think the teams that are good in each league would be good if they were in the other league.

And 0-4 against the Pirates.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)

These things are so random. You might have your bottom 3 starters face their top 3 in a series. Its hard for me to think a team could be 20-30 games over .500 in one league and just be average in the other. I think the teams that are good in each league would be good if they were in the other league.

I can buy that. The one thing I think is clear in terms of the leagues right now...the bottom of the NL is a lot worse than the bottom of the AL. Otherwise it's pretty much a wash.

In general, I try to stay pretty level headed on this board, but I Gotta get this off my chest..... . If you root for the sox and also like to watch the Cubs, that's cool. Certainly not gonna criticize anyone for that. I get that they are exciting and good and are a Chicago team. I have tons of friends and in-laws that are Cubs fans, and plenty who root for both. Not everyone gets caught up in the Cubs vs sox stuff, and I get that.

However, for a select segment of sox fans, rooting against the Cubs is part of being a sox fan. Growing up in the SW burbs, I fall into this category. And I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna catch flack for hating on the Cubs. Do the Cubs have great young talent and a super bright future with a great front office? Of course they do. But why do I have to all of a sudden change my feelings for that team based on their success? Rooting against them is part of my identity as a sports fan, just as they have fans who will root against the sox for their lifetime. If you wanna hate on me and b**** at me for that, I guess that's your right. You can think it's childish, but it's my opinion (and part of my sports ethos) that rivalries in sports are a great thing. And I would never expect a Michigan man to root for the Buckeyes, an Midshipman to root for the Cadets, etc. Cubs vs sox may not be as big of a rivalry as those others, but if you don't think the rivalry exists, you clearly didn't grow up in the same neighborhoods as I did. And when it comes to me hating on the Cubs, I'm gonna keep watching and hoping they lose every single goddamn day. I am getting sick and tired of people (and not just on this board) trying to tell me who I can and can't root for and why.

:gosoxretro: