2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
In general, I try to stay pretty level headed on this board, but I Gotta get this off my chest..... . If you root for the sox and also like to watch the Cubs, that's cool. Certainly not gonna criticize anyone for that. I get that they are exciting and good and are a Chicago team. I have tons of friends and in-laws that are Cubs fans, and plenty who root for both. Not everyone gets caught up in the Cubs vs sox stuff, and I get that.

However, for a select segment of sox fans, rooting against the Cubs is part of being a sox fan. Growing up in the SW burbs, I fall into this category. And I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna catch flack for hating on the Cubs. Do the Cubs have great young talent and a super bright future with a great front office? Of course they do. But why do I have to all of a sudden change my feelings for that team based on their success? Rooting against them is part of my identity as a sports fan, just as they have fans who will root against the sox for their lifetime. If you wanna hate on me and b**** at me for that, I guess that's your right. You can think it's childish, but it's my opinion (and part of my sports ethos) that rivalries in sports are a great thing. And I would never expect a Michigan man to root for the Buckeyes, an Midshipman to root for the Cadets, etc. Cubs vs sox may not be as big of a rivalry as those others, but if you don't think the rivalry exists, you clearly didn't grow up in the same neighborhoods as I did. And when it comes to me hating on the Cubs, I'm gonna keep watching and hoping they lose every single goddamn day. I am getting sick and tired of people (and not just on this board) trying to tell me who I can and can't root for and why.

:gosoxretro:

Amen damnit. My father and the neighbors once blew up a cubs batting helmet with a 1/4 stick of dynamite on the 4th of July. Fortunately nobody was hurt by the more-dangerous-than-expected shrapnel, but that was one less kid who was gonna be wearing a cubs helmet on the southside. Solid work if you ask me ?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)
Sox were 3-3 vs. the Cubs and 2-2 vs. the Cards. Why are they considered so good and the Sox so bad?

These things are so random. You might have your bottom 3 starters face their top 3 in a series. Its hard for me to think a team could be 20-30 games over .500 in one league and just be average in the other. I think the teams that are good in each league would be good if they were in the other league.

Because the White Sox are really, really bad.

The Cubs are over 20 games over .500. What team are you watching?!

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Amen damnit. My father and the neighbors once blew up a cubs batting helmet with a 1/4 stick of dynamite on the 4th of July. Fortunately nobody was hurt by the more-dangerous-than-expected shrapnel, but that was one less kid who was gonna be wearing a cubs helmet on the southside. Solid work if you ask me ?

No offense, but this is part of the reason we're not taking seriously.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
This is flawed thinking. No mention that the NL also has the six worst records in baseball. AL has a lot of good teams beating each other up. The Red Sox, Mariners and A's are far more talented than your normal AL bottom dwellers.

Who is we here? A few fans do something dumb and the whole fan base can't be "taking seriously?" Apparently you've never sat in the bleachers in Lakeview because the Cubs fanbase wouldn't be taking seriously either if you did.

The national media thinks of us as a bunch of Cub hating, umpire attacking losers who become relevant once a decade.

Glad that makes you happy.

And even IF the AL and NL are comparable, the Cubs are 20+ games over and the White Sox are certified trash.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 06:14 PM)
The national media thinks of us as a bunch of Cub hating, umpire attacking losers who become relevant once a decade.

And even IF the AL and NL are comparable, the Cubs are 20+ games over and the White Sox are certified trash.

The national media doesn't think of the White Sox fanbase.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 06:14 PM)

Jeez man, I know you're a Sox fan because I've seen your posts in Pale Hose Talk, but some of your posts are oddly pro-Cubs... yeah, I get it, they are much better than we are right now. There's no disputing that. But the way you've been talking about them in the last few pages of this thread make it seem like you're actually a Cubs fan, which, as I said, I know you aren't

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
Jeez man, I know you're a Sox fan because I've seen your posts in Pale Hose Talk, but some of your posts are oddly pro-Cubs... yeah, I get it, they are much better than we are right now. There's no disputing that. But the way you've been talking about them in the last few pages of this thread make it seem like you're actually a Cubs fan, which, as I said, I know you aren't

I just assumed he was some sort of plant that came to convert Sox fans into Cubs fans or something. Every post I've seen is bashing the Sox, praising the Cubs, or both.

And I do get the current situation of both franchises. I think everyone here does. I just don't feel the need to be reminded in every post.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
I just assumed he was some sort of plant that came to convert Sox fans into Cubs fans or something. Every post I've seen is bashing the Sox, praising the Cubs, or both.

And I do get the current situation of both franchises. I think everyone here does. I just don't feel the need to be reminded in every post.

Life long White Sox fan who lived in Chicago for 23 years. I'm just really sad the last 9 seasons have been so bad. One playoff appearance. One. And every year, we go into the season "going for it all" and ultimately ruin it through some combination of poor coaching and underperformance.

Then you step back and look and realize this team hasn't drafted a good MLB fielder since 2001 and it just looks so much worse. Am I a Cubs fan? No. I'm devastated that baseball on the south side of Chicago is so bad.

But yeah, I don't question anyone's fandom here. That's your business. The fact is, we're stuck with this subpar organization and this subpar team.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 11:54 PM)
Kershaw mowed through the Cubs lineup tonight. 14 Ks.

As a TEAM they strike out 24.2% of the time. Kris Bryant and David Ross strike out more than 30% of the time. Soler, Schwarber, and Russell are all close to that figure at 29.4, 28.2 and 27.9% respectively. Somehow Rizzo has his down to only 14.3%, but his has gotten worse every month. He is a touch over 20% for the month.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)
In general, I try to stay pretty level headed on this board, but I Gotta get this off my chest..... . If you root for the sox and also like to watch the Cubs, that's cool. Certainly not gonna criticize anyone for that. I get that they are exciting and good and are a Chicago team. I have tons of friends and in-laws that are Cubs fans, and plenty who root for both. Not everyone gets caught up in the Cubs vs sox stuff, and I get that.

However, for a select segment of sox fans, rooting against the Cubs is part of being a sox fan. Growing up in the SW burbs, I fall into this category. And I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna catch flack for hating on the Cubs. Do the Cubs have great young talent and a super bright future with a great front office? Of course they do. But why do I have to all of a sudden change my feelings for that team based on their success? Rooting against them is part of my identity as a sports fan, just as they have fans who will root against the sox for their lifetime. If you wanna hate on me and b**** at me for that, I guess that's your right. You can think it's childish, but it's my opinion (and part of my sports ethos) that rivalries in sports are a great thing. And I would never expect a Michigan man to root for the Buckeyes, an Midshipman to root for the Cadets, etc. Cubs vs sox may not be as big of a rivalry as those others, but if you don't think the rivalry exists, you clearly didn't grow up in the same neighborhoods as I did. And when it comes to me hating on the Cubs, I'm gonna keep watching and hoping they lose every single goddamn day. I am getting sick and tired of people (and not just on this board) trying to tell me who I can and can't root for and why.

:gosoxretro:

Great post. It sucks that we blew our 10 year window. Sox should have built on the WS title not sucked after winning it all. Now the Cubs finally have caught the sox and it could get really ugly the next 10 years. Sox appear to be all pitching, nothing else. Cubs look like they are going to dominate in the Bryant era. Very very sad. f*** the Cubs but they are probably gonna win 2-3 WS and we have a lot of work to do to be a WC contender again. Sox seem very far off. f*** the Cubs though. Hope they lose early in playoffs.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
Because the White Sox are really, really bad.

The Cubs are over 20 games over .500. What team are you watching?!

Yep. They are way way better. I think their manager has helped them, too.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 11:14 PM)

That probably is true. The White Sox are recognized more for wearing shorts in 76 and attacking the ump than the 05 title. That turned out to be a glorious fluke if you will. So glad Oz and the boys took advantage that year and won it all. If they "only" made the ALDS or the WS only to lose that woulda sucked as it turned out. Cause now the Cubs appear primed to steal a couple WS minimum.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 11:54 PM)
Kershaw mowed through the Cubs lineup tonight. 14 Ks.

I really hope Kershaw pitches well in the postseason. He's been the best pitcher in the world for 5 years, but his reputation keeps getting sullied by the Cardinals postseason pixie dust.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 06:42 AM)
I really hope Kershaw pitches well in the postseason. He's been the best pitcher in the world for 5 years, but his reputation keeps getting sullied by the Cardinals postseason pixie dust.

He's got a shot at 300Ks as well this year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 03:31 AM)
Bumgarner/Kershaw are the two best pitchers in the world. Lots of teams would get shutdown.

It was more of a point that the Cubs hitters are good in the sense they destroy s***ty pitching like they should. But they are too young to be considered an elite offense.

Throw Bum or Kershaw at the Blue Jays... most likely different results.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
It was more of a point that the Cubs hitters are good in the sense they destroy s***ty pitching like they should. But they are too young to be considered an elite offense.

Whoever said the Cubs offense was elite right now? That'll come in 2017. And the Blue Jays have the best offense of the post steroid era.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
Whoever said the Cubs offense was elite right now? That'll come in 2017. And the Blue Jays have the best offense of the post steroid era.

Man, you have to be paying attention to the media and how they consistently deep throat the cubs. I'll admit they are good kids, but they are just that, kids... once they get some experience, yeah I believe they'll be a force to be reckon with too.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)

Really? I had to reread this a few times. The Blue Jays aren't some historically unbeatable offense. You throw Kershaw or Bumgarner or Sale at them and it's still going to be a tough day for the Jays. Plus there are some weaker pitchers, like Samardzija, they just match up with poorly for whatever reason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
Really? I had to reread this a few times. The Blue Jays aren't some historically unbeatable offense. You throw Kershaw or Bumgarner or Sale at them and it's still going to be a tough day for the Jays. Plus there are some weaker pitchers, like Samardzija, they just match up with poorly for whatever reason.

Sale is better than Bum and Ker. I don't think their unbeatable but I think their offense is way better than the cubs.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
Vegas certainly isn't buying into this Cubs team. Odds to win the series are worse now than they were before the season started.

That's good news then. Think of all the Chicagoans out in Vegas betting 1000 or so bucks on the Cubs winning it all. Vegas knows so I'm glad we're safe this first postseason of their upcoming dominance. No Cub title this year!