2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 4, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
totally unrelated

the northsiders really considered moving their home game to Milwaukee b/c of the repairs. well here is the link.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/cub...kee-344576.html

wouldn't it be better doing it in the south side, soldier's field???

Supposedly they didn't even check into using USCF. Their "research" told them Cub fans wanted nothing to do with USCF.

I think in the past, JR has pretty much made it clear the Cubs weren't welcome anyway. From what I have read, the terms of his lease would give him the ultimate authority in letting the Cubs play there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
Supposedly they didn't even check into using USCF. Their "research" told them Cub fans wanted nothing to do with USCF.

I think in the past, JR has pretty much made it clear the Cubs weren't welcome anyway. From what I have read, the terms of his lease would give him the ultimate authority in letting the Cubs play there.

Well, this is a bit of tin foil hat, but I could understand why Cubs wouldn't want games in the Cell. My thought is the Cell is very underrated and a good fan experience with space, nice bathrooms, plenty of concessions, parking, etc... I don't believe the expansion is going to address many of the non-desirable issues with Wrigley, really adding seats and revenue generating signs, etc. Cubs have a lot of casual fans, why risk exposing them to what can be a very nice experience 10 miles south, you can justify it in Milwaukee because it's a haul.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Well, this is a bit of tin foil hat, but I could understand why Cubs wouldn't want games in the Cell. My thought is the Cell is very underrated and a good fan experience with space, nice bathrooms, plenty of concessions, parking, etc... I don't believe the expansion is going to address many of the non-desirable issues with Wrigley, really adding seats and revenue generating signs, etc. Cubs have a lot of casual fans, why risk exposing them to what can be a very nice experience 10 miles south, you can justify it in Milwaukee because it's a haul.

That makes of a lot of sense honestly. Why send your fans over to your competitors shop?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)
That makes of a lot of sense honestly. Why send your fans over to your competitors shop?

Because it is way more convenient. 8 miles away vs. 90. And IIRC, the Brewers are also a competitor. If they played in Milwaukee, there is no doubt many Cubs fans wanting to watch baseball during the summer would head to USCF. I would think the odds of them flipping teams is higher than just watching the Cubs at USCF.

As a White Sox fan, and Chicago resident, if USCF was unplayable for a season, I would much prefer they played in the dump and Clark and Addison, than the really nice park in Milwaukee.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
Because it is way more convenient. 8 miles away vs. 90. And IIRC, the Brewers are also a competitor. If they played in Milwaukee, there is no doubt many Cubs fans wanting to watch baseball during the summer would head to USCF. I would think the odds of them flipping teams is higher than just watching the Cubs at USCF.

As a White Sox fan, and Chicago resident, if USCF was unplayable for a season, I would much prefer they played in the dump and Clark and Addison, than the really nice park in Milwaukee.

Exactly the reason for the Cubs not to send them south. It is WAY easier for them to start going to White Sox games vs Brewers games.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Exactly the reason for the Cubs not to send them south. It is WAY easier for them to start going to White Sox games vs Brewers games.

When Wrigley is fixed, it will probably be better than USCF or Miller Park. The only fans they would lose due to USCF are fans that aren't attached and would have gone to USCF anyway. Don't kid yourself, if the Cubs are playing in Milwaukee, many of their fans would go to White Sox games for their baseball fix.

I highly doubt the reason the Cubs didn't consider USCF is because they were afraid USCF would impress their fanbase so much they would switch allegences by the truckloads. It doesn't even attract White Sox fans.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
When Wrigley is fixed, it will probably be better than USCF or Miller Park. The only fans they would lose due to USCF are fans that aren't attached and would have gone to USCF anyway. Don't kid yourself, if the Cubs are playing in Milwaukee, many of their fans would go to White Sox games for their baseball fix.

I highly doubt the reason the Cubs didn't consider USCF is because they were afraid USCF would impress their fanbase so much they would switch allegences by the truckloads. It doesn't even attract White Sox fans.

All the better reason to go after fans who have proven loyal spenders.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)

ok, very informative. i was thinking from a money aspect and stealing more fans from the sCrubs. i would have love to see them hike all the way to Milwaukee.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
All the better reason to go after fans who have proven loyal spenders.

So you are saying USCF is going to make Cubs fans forget about a renovated Wrigley Field and become White Sox fans. And that is a reason the Cubs would rather play in Milwaukee.

While I really do like USCF and find it incredibly underrated, I think that is hysterical.

How come you don't think the Cubs would basically be sending a good deal of their fans to USCF if they didn't feel like treking to Milwaukee?

If I am Cubs management, I would rather the Cubs fan root on the Cubs at USCF, than some other team. I think there would be a higher danger of a flip.

I think you guys are really underestimating how many fans the Cubs would get in Milwaukee. It's not THAT far, and there are plenty of Cubs "fans" in between Wrigleyville & the state line, not to mention tons in Wisconsin itself too. On like two days notice when the hurricane hit Houston, they got over 23k at Miller Park when Zambrano threw the no-hitter.

Would they draw more total at the Cell? Probably, but it wouldn't be that significant.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
I think you guys are really underestimating how many fans the Cubs would get in Milwaukee. It's not THAT far, and there are plenty of Cubs "fans" in between Wrigleyville & the state line, not to mention tons in Wisconsin itself too. On like two days notice when the hurricane hit Houston, they got over 23k at Miller Park when Zambrano threw the no-hitter.

Would they draw more total at the Cell? Probably, but it wouldn't be that significant.

If they had a good team, I think it would be very significant. I agree for some it isn't that much farther, but it is farther. An extra half hour each way adds up. I doubt many will want to drive up there on a Wednesday after work. The Zambrano thing was a one time deal, when it's an 81 time deal, it is a little less unique.

But any point is moot. JR doesn't want them there anyway. I doubt it would go over well in the neighborhood except for some businesses. So, he is doing what Ricketts swore the Cubs would do, before he blew up his rooftop partners businesses and cared so much about his neighbors he wanted around the clock construction, and that is be a good neighbor. Plus the Sox use USCF for many things on off days and that wouldn't be available.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
So you are saying USCF is going to make Cubs fans forget about a renovated Wrigley Field and become White Sox fans. And that is a reason the Cubs would rather play in Milwaukee.

While I really do like USCF and find it incredibly underrated, I think that is hysterical.

How come you don't think the Cubs would basically be sending a good deal of their fans to USCF if they didn't feel like treking to Milwaukee?

If I am Cubs management, I would rather the Cubs fan root on the Cubs at USCF, than some other team. I think there would be a higher danger of a flip.

Any amount of new fans for the White Sox is less money to go somewhere else. It is much easier to drive/train/bike/bus 8 miles, versus 90, especially in a city where a lot of people don't have a car. Every fan you expose to that park, is another free preview of a modern ballpark. If I am the Cubs, I am sure not about to risk any of my fan base for something that easy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
Any amount of new fans for the White Sox is less money to go somewhere else. It is much easier to drive/train/bike/bus 8 miles, versus 90, especially in a city where a lot of people don't have a car. Every fan you expose to that park, is another free preview of a modern ballpark. If I am the Cubs, I am sure not about to risk any of my fan base for something that easy.

I would much have them watching my product with other Cubs fans telling everyone how USCF sucks (peer pressure) than having them come alone and making up their own mind.

Besides, their ballpark is going to be more modern in a couple of years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
I would much have them watching my product with other Cubs fans telling everyone how USCF sucks (peer pressure) than having them come alone and making up their own mind.

Besides, their ballpark is going to be more modern in a couple of years.

And despite all of the bluster, the Cubs are playing at Wrigley, and giving up 1000's of seats of revenue per game, instead of either Sox park or Milwaukee. That should be everything that needs to be said right there.

I would think Roger Bossard would have a big say in the decision if it were to ever be seriously considered. He uses the off days to take care of the field. With two teams playing, there wouldn't be any off days.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
And despite all of the bluster, the Cubs are playing at Wrigley, and giving up 1000's of seats of revenue per game, instead of either Sox park or Milwaukee. That should be everything that needs to be said right there.

Because they know even without bleachers for 2 months, they still would draw more at Wrigley than in Milwaukee, and wouldn't alienate their fanbase, like playing 90 miles away for a season might.

JR would not let it happen. I think that tells you right there it wouldn't have been the coup you think it would be.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 09:08 PM)
Because they know even without bleachers for 2 months, they still would draw more at Wrigley than in Milwaukee, and wouldn't alienate their fanbase, like playing 90 miles away for a season might.

JR would not let it happen. I think that tells you right there it wouldn't have been the coup you think it would be.

beside the sox ownership group and the FO, the northsiders couldn't afford to let their fans come to the cell. those fans will see how a real team looks like and the park and all the positives that they were missing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
beside the sox ownership group and the FO, the northsiders couldn't afford to let their fans come to the cell. those fans will see how a real team looks like and the park and all the positives that they were missing.

If you are being serious I really doubt that they will be jealous of the Cell. For one, many of the Cubs fans have already been to the Cell. Two, most Cub fans you talk to wouldnt trade their park for any other park in major league baseball. They realize it needs to be updated and renovated but they arent going to be envious of the Cell. That's laughable.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 10:19 PM)
If you are being serious I really doubt that they will be jealous of the Cell. For one, many of the Cubs fans have already been to the Cell. Two, most Cub fans you talk to wouldnt trade their park for any other park in major league baseball. They realize it needs to be updated and renovated but they arent going to be envious of the Cell. That's laughable.

oops i think i should have put my response in green, i didn't think anyone would think it was a serious response.

my bad

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)

I actually know a few Cubs fans that hate Wrigley Field and think the cubs need to get out of there. They would rather see the team win and think way too much time, money and effort is put into glamorizing the experience of "beautiful Wrigley Field". Although they may be the exceptions…

Edited by Iwritecode