2015 Films thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 27, 2015 -> 04:38 AM)
i can come up with some other comments, but i will just say that i do not like any of Sylvester Stallone latest movies.

well my and a friend went and saw creed.

to put it mildly and remember i do not like stallone movies.

this movies is great..... i totally enjoyed it, it is a modern version of rocky the first move with creed son being rocky.

i love the soundtrack.... i gots to buy the soundtrack. the jazz infusion in the theme song, flying high was great, jazz.... this is a great into into jazz and the rap was really damn good.

edit, i made a huge mistake, it was not jazz, well, i love jazz, it was more symphonic / epic feel .... my bad.

i will see this several more times.

Edited by LDF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

saw victor frankenstein .... no impress,

i thought it might be something different, i do not know, maybe miscast. plus they tried the all the look in to the body anatomy that robert downing jr made in sherlock.... well now it is the this movie, plus igor.....

nah the movie was all over in the plot.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 26, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
92% on Rotten Tomatoes. What's to think about?

Hmm...I would agree that generally this is a good sign...and then there is The Babadook.

On another note, the wife and I watched Dallas Buyer's Club on Wednesday night. Wow.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 01:56 AM)
LDF, do you look up reviews of movies before you go see them? It feels like you go see garage but anything with a good reception, you're weary of.

good question, i have respect for the way you asked.

the answer is no. i live in a small community, usually if i go, i go by myself. on occasion i go with a lady friend as i did with these 2 movies, yesterday and today.

ref creed, i an not impress with stallone movie and usuall don't go and watch them, but he did a great job and a great movie.

frankenstien well there were 2 really good actors, but nothing org or earth shattering. just a twist in the org movie.

i saw 33 on a d/l and that was very good. a kind of a docu movie.

but reviews i do not trust, i am very fickle in watching movies. this is on me and my taste in movies.

btw i get into all kinds of movies from chick flicks to foreign movies. so i do not have a particular type of movies i prefer.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 03:26 AM)
I'd recommend bookmarking rottentomatoes.com. It's a good reference as to what is good and what you shouldn't waste money on.

i understand what you are saying, but here is an example, you mention a positive review of rottentomatoes of something like 90+ for a movie. well you are correct, but when the poll of that movie was only 100 movie goers, it is not very convincing.....

but i still understand your point.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
Mockingjay Part 2 was a decent film.

The whole series of films was actually pretty watchable.

3 stars out of 5

i agree. esp with move 1 and 2. they did the book right. it was a very enjoyable watching, overall.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
I thought Mockingjay Part 2 was pretty bad. Not as bad as Part 1, but still bad.

Shame cause I really liked the first two movies, but those last two were disappointing.

I treated the movies like i treated the books...i watched/read the first two....didn't bother with the third. I liked the story involving the games but when it got into all the political stuff I just wasn't interested.......

So, as a follow-up, saw Creed and Spotlight this weekend. Already discussed spotlight, but Creed was really good, very fun, very watchable.

Its hard to make a bad boxing movie, as a boxing montage is just so automatically great. Its the best montage in movies.

But I really liked the small things in this movie. The training dialogue and ringside advice Balboa gives was much more interesting in a tactical/realism sort of way than with a "heart is all you need" kind of way.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
I thought Mockingjay Part 2 was pretty bad. Not as bad as Part 1, but still bad.

Shame cause I really liked the first two movies, but those last two were disappointing.

i am a very harsh critic when i come to reading and enjoying the book vs the movie. as i said, 1 and 2 were gook, #3 was ok and #4 was a closure for the series. at least it wasn't like twilight the book and moves of the end of the series.

over all i can live with the all thing as entertainment. glad it is over. now maze runner the last movie was way better than the book and i have confident that it would do it justice.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
i am a very harsh critic when i come to reading and enjoying the book vs the movie. as i said, 1 and 2 were gook, #3 was ok and #4 was a closure for the series. at least it wasn't like twilight the book and moves of the end of the series.

over all i can live with the all thing as entertainment. glad it is over. now maze runner the last movie was way better than the book and i have confident that it would do it justice.

The last book could have been written by a 12 year old it was so bad. It was a how can we tie this up and get out of this franchise type of book.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
The last book could have been written by a 12 year old it was so bad. It was a how can we tie this up and get out of this franchise type of book.

:whip oh man that was harsh, and you are killing me. here i am trying to be nice and mr. positive and you are coming up with this.

but i agree, and the same thing with maze runner and twilite and many other books. i agree, but at least it is over

i wonder why these authors can't write a good ending???

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
So, as a follow-up, saw Creed and Spotlight this weekend. Already discussed spotlight, but Creed was really good, very fun, very watchable.

Its hard to make a bad boxing movie, as a boxing montage is just so automatically great. Its the best montage in movies.

But I really liked the small things in this movie. The training dialogue and ringside advice Balboa gives was much more interesting in a tactical/realism sort of way than with a "heart is all you need" kind of way.

Agree with this. Didn't just use the Creed name to make a movie. Was deep. Loved the single shot fight.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
:whip oh man that was harsh, and you are killing me. here i am trying to be nice and mr. positive and you are coming up with this.

but i agree, and the same thing with maze runner and twilite and many other books. i agree, but at least it is over

i wonder why these authors can't write a good ending???

because they are trying to get them written and printed as quick as possible

The story pivots so much from murderous isolated contest where goal is to survive to a wide-spanning "win a civil war". In reality the third book could have been 5 unsuccessful books but eventually you run out of reason for her to be in the games.

In lord of the rings, you have a single goal (destroy the ring) that can have so much happen along the way. In Harry Potter, its kill voldemort. These are simple acts that are your ending. Hunger Games could have resolved with the civil war being a handwaving moment "everyone rose up, the city fell in days", but instead they made the plot the civil war and it was a mess.

The movie could have changed that but it didn't have the guts.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)
The story pivots so much from murderous isolated contest where goal is to survive to a wide-spanning "win a civil war". In reality the third book could have been 5 unsuccessful books but eventually you run out of reason for her to be in the games.

In lord of the rings, you have a single goal (destroy the ring) that can have so much happen along the way. In Harry Potter, its kill voldemort. These are simple acts that are your ending. Hunger Games could have resolved with the civil war being a handwaving moment "everyone rose up, the city fell in days", but instead they made the plot the civil war and it was a mess.

The movie could have changed that but it didn't have the guts.

even for me, i could have lived with the civil war, but the other side stories were sooooo weak and boring, i found my self skipping.... long drag out for the sake of getting a thick book with pages.

then the ending, cmon, it was brutal and the unexpected death. it was just all bad writing from a 1/4 way in.

i am talking about the final book.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
I'm not a writer but I read a lot and it seems to me that writing a good ending is the most difficult part for a lot of writers. There have been many times where I've read a book and it's really good right up until the ending.

Whenever I write something I always have the ending settled and emotional reponse or feeling in mind. It's easier that way, because you know what you're building to. I submitted a story to a Sci Fi mag and the first thing I wrote of the story was the last couple of paragraphs. Which was nice because the ending was actually the beginning of the story.

There's a great TED Talk where John Lasseter talks about writing Toy Story 3 with the climax with the fire in mind and writing to that point.

well, i finally got done watching the movie Everest, wow, a very intense, for me, movie. great and i was disappointed it never appeared where i live.

i am now catching up on most of the individual characters on wiki ....

here is a link, i think this is the real people.

http://www.videomoviles.com/0ui3sJpJFSM/tr...s-and-rob-hall/

edit ..... the real buck weathers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Beck+Weathe...bVr7zdOIKuNM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=Beck+Weathe...bVr7zdOIKuNM%3A

Edited by LDF