2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
He did such a good job I didn't even recognize he was in the movie until just reading that comment.

I guess it makes sense a totally unknown actor couldn't easily be the antogonist to DiCaprio.

yeah, i am really becoming a fan of his, Hardy, since his appearance in the bbc virgin queen, he has grown so much as an actor. i am not a fan of DiCaprio, but as an actor, he too has reach his prime.... acting wise, this was a good movie.

on a side note, can you imagine lying on a rotted logged full of maggots so they can eat all the dead skin and infection from someone wounds..... talking about being tough....

Looks like we're deep into screener season. Guess I'll watch The Hateful Eight this week.

Star Wars isn't releasing a screener for this very reason. Despite the fact that the best, highest-grossing movies never get any awards, this will further hurt their chances.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
Looks like we're deep into screener season. Guess I'll watch The Hateful Eight this week.

Star Wars isn't releasing a screener for this very reason. Despite the fact that the best, highest-grossing movies never get any awards, this will further hurt their chances.

yup, i am going to see hateful 8 this afternoon.

btw, that is a great picture of the star wars on your msg.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
yup, i am going to see hateful 8 this afternoon.

btw, that is a great picture of the star wars on your msg.

Yeah, someone prettied up that scene from the movie. I just stole the wallpaper and made it sig sized. It's perty.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 05:34 PM)
Concussion isn't a great film but worth checking out and definitely made me seriously consider if I would ever allow my son to play football when he gets older...

you beat me to this, i too saw concussion. however i really, really like the movie. it is well worth seeing and that is all i am going to say, b/c of the spoilers.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 12:39 AM)
Spoilers? It's not a new story lol

real comedy at work here. but i deserve that. i just didn't want to say much.

but for the movie, will smith did a excellent movie, the story of mike webster is heart breaking and he was a great football player.

i started to look to see if the medicinal hash oil is being used and the success, and it has. there was a 60+ longhorn ex football player and his story....

Btw, I thought Morse as Mike Webster was excellent in a cameo role and virtually unrecognizable.

The guy who played Duerson seemed to be way off in terms of appearance or personality...or maybe my perception of him growing up with the Bears as THE team in the Midwest in the 1980's was just quite different than how he was later in life.

And nice to see an appearance by Daenarys' favorite confidante/advisor...she played Will Smith's wife and did an admirable job. Albert Brooks was also very good and more understated than usual.

Alec Baldwin was good, too. The last time I remember him playing a doctor was MALICE ("I am God").

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 09:30 PM)
IN all seriousness, instead of the movie, go to PBS.org and watch their special on NFL concussions.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/

I'm assuming you haven't seen Concussion yet.

It's tracking around the 50's on metacritic.

I'll agree that NPR or PBS type productions should have more impact than they often do.

On the other hand, there's no reason why someone can't enjoy the documentary INSIDE JOB about the global financial/mortgage crisis and get something equally worthwhile out of THE BIG SHORT.

I will agree with two of the harsher critics who believe the main character's POV wasn't the best possible way to present the story...that the attempts to dramatize the peaks and valleys of the doctor's career took away from the subject matter as Hollywood tried to shoehorn an equally compelling human interest side into the story.

1. VarietyAndrew Barker

Effective enough as a cautionary tale about willful ignorance and as a showcase for Will Smith...the film is let down by its confused and cliche-riddled screenplay, which struggles mightily to take a complex story and finesse it to fit story beats it was never meant to hit.

2. Consequence of SoundJustin Gerber

Concussion tries to “tell the truth!” but its filmmaker feels compelled to surround the truth with tales of a man whose life is just not that interesting.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:11 AM)
Anyone see Heart of the Sea yet? I want to see it.

i did, it was the true events of the story of moby dick. the actual story ...... it is a very powerful movie, at least for me. the whole thing that i remember is how they survived on the ocean.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:07 PM)
I'm assuming you haven't seen Concussion yet.

It's tracking around the 50's on metacritic.

I'll agree that NPR or PBS type productions should have more impact than they often do.

On the other hand, there's no reason why someone can't enjoy the documentary INSIDE JOB about the global financial/mortgage crisis and get something equally worthwhile out of THE BIG SHORT.

I will agree with two of the harsher critics who believe the main character's POV wasn't the best possible way to present the story...that the attempts to dramatize the peaks and valleys of the doctor's career took away from the subject matter as Hollywood tried to shoehorn an equally compelling human interest side into the story.

1. VarietyAndrew Barker

Effective enough as a cautionary tale about willful ignorance and as a showcase for Will Smith...the film is let down by its confused and cliche-riddled screenplay, which struggles mightily to take a complex story and finesse it to fit story beats it was never meant to hit.

2. Consequence of SoundJustin Gerber

Concussion tries to “tell the truth!” but its filmmaker feels compelled to surround the truth with tales of a man whose life is just not that interesting.

Most of the time the entertainment serves as a detraction from the actual information in the story.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
Don't be mad at Steve. He's slow.

Everyone stop what you're doing and go see The Shawshank Redemption! ;)

I've heard that The Jazz Singer is the bee's knees, fella!

Hop in your jalopy and skedaddle down to the cinema post-haste!