2015 Films thread

Balta1701

JOY (Jennifer Lawrence, about the invention of Miracle Mop/Swiffer products for QVC/HSN) was a lot like a much better version of a similar concept, the Greg Kinnear one (which flew completely under the radar) about the invention of the intermittent wiper blade and his ongoing fight with the Big 3 automakers in DET.

Not surprised most of the reviews have it in the 50's, like Concussion.

Both movies are about interesting stories, but the "dramatized story within a real story" is simply lacking.

Jennifer Lawrence, as always, is eminently watchable...just like Will Smith, but both of these movies are better off watched on your own time and don't require a theatre viewing.

SISTERS, the Tina Fey/Poehler movie, is probably a better family option to Star Wars sellouts over the holidays.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, and I can understand why STEVE JOBS bombed in the theatres now.

Fassbender is a great actor, but he didn't look close enough to Jobs to make me forget I was watching the actor Fassbender trying to channel Jobs. (Ashton Kutcher in appearance was much closer).

Second, and most importantly, the screenplay's (Sorkin) well-written, but the dark/moody/paranoid side of Jobs isn't much fun to watch on screen. It's almost like torture, this feeling you're watching someone's dirty laundry and maybe we're better off not knowing about all those elements of his personal life. Of course, the myth is always better than the reality...we knew Jobs was a jerk and egomaniac and impossible to work with, etc., but watching the film and suffering his character is a bit much.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:52 PM)
Did you see it? I haven't, but have heard it's a fairly raunchy movie.

Right, I should have said R-rated/adult family option...not for kids.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/-concussion-...191742316.html#

Interesting premise from CONCUSSION director Landesman, that there will be a backlash/cultural shift from football back to baseball as more and more parents stop allowing their kids to play the game.

Apparently Pop Warner numbers are down 30-35%, so that will be showing up in the next two decades at the collegiate and NFL level in terms of that talent switching to other sports.

It happened in the 80's and 90's with the NBA (taking mostly African-American athletes from MLB), we'll see the impact here.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 02:48 AM)
JOY (Jennifer Lawrence, about the invention of Miracle Mop/Swiffer products for QVC/HSN) was a lot like a much better version of a similar concept, the Greg Kinnear one (which flew completely under the radar) about the invention of the intermittent wiper blade and his ongoing fight with the Big 3 automakers in DET.

Not surprised most of the reviews have it in the 50's, like Concussion.

Both movies are about interesting stories, but the "dramatized story within a real story" is simply lacking.

Jennifer Lawrence, as always, is eminently watchable...just like Will Smith, but both of these movies are better off watched on your own time and don't require a theatre viewing.

SISTERS, the Tina Fey/Poehler movie, is probably a better family option to Star Wars sellouts over the holidays.

ahhh screeners are just great... i got those 2 movies and i am going to veg out and see movies from now until sat....

talking about concussions. i am seeing it for the 2nd time .... i am even like it more than the first time.... very powerful.

i also read up on wilki of the main doctors and their stand and the one dr.... his website is a joke on his stand of the CTE and the movie.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 03:08 AM)
Right, I should have said R-rated/adult family option...not for kids.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/-concussion-...191742316.html#

Interesting premise from CONCUSSION director Landesman, that there will be a backlash/cultural shift from football back to baseball as more and more parents stop allowing their kids to play the game.

Apparently Pop Warner numbers are down 30-35%, so that will be showing up in the next two decades at the collegiate and NFL level in terms of that talent switching to other sports.

It happened in the 80's and 90's with the NBA (taking mostly African-American athletes from MLB), we'll see the impact here.

my nephew, i never said this to anyone, he played football, hs champion wrestler, martial artist and was in the gracie group fighting in the ufc and mma.

now, he went undefeated in mma and moved to ufc. he had to gain weight to fight at the min for ufc, something like 20-30 lbs. the gracie group left ufc b/c they were promoting steroids to their fighters. he too left undefeated. he had one fight in vegas. ok i am a proud uncle.

now for the story. i just wanted to give you back group. he was visiting the asian country around memorial day weekend,visiting his girlfriend family, he went into convulsion. thing is in twain to get medical help, you have to pre pay.... long story short, my brother and sister in law who are divorce flew up there. they could fly him back but they took a cruise ship back....

now in the US. they are at the ucla medical center testing him for concussion and now i will bet this cte which i never knew off. .....

You're going to get in trouble with my co-workers for calling Taiwan a separate country, haha.

Actually, I don't quite understand the thinking of taking a cruise ship back when there's a potentially serious medical issue that should be addressed in a timely fashion.

THAT said...in response to TONY above, Daddy's Home with Will Ferrell/Wahlberg repairing and The Good Dinosaur are probably going to be the best family options for kids...although Daddy's Home is getting hammered by the critics.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 04:32 AM)
You're going to get in trouble with my co-workers for calling Taiwan a separate country, haha.

Actually, I don't quite understand the thinking of taking a cruise ship back when there's a potentially serious medical issue that should be addressed in a timely fashion.

THAT said...in response to TONY above, Daddy's Home with Will Ferrell/Wahlberg repairing and The Good Dinosaur are probably going to be the best family options for kids...although Daddy's Home is getting hammered by the critics.

good question, the main concern was the effect of what people know of the bends, or blood clouts attributing to the sudden air pressure of the plane climbing. also if they were over the ocean, there were no where to land for medical treatment. the airlines wouldn't even take that chance. he was in stable condition to be on a cruise ship. the doctor on board had been brief and had extra medical supplies.... now i am not medical i do not know these supplies. it was a scary month.,

if you have not seen spotlight..... it is freaking great and great acting all the way around. between concussion and spotlight, i do not what other film can hang with them.

spotlight like concussion is a true story.

now i spent the last several hours reading most of the important characters on wilki and this move did not hide the names of the characters. it is all there for everyone to read.

that major ex-priest was defrocked and died in prison .... he was murder. several more priest were also defrocked. damn, the only reason this never got the news, b/c of the hangover of 9/11

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 04:03 AM)
if you have not seen spotlight..... it is freaking great and great acting all the way around. between concussion and spotlight, i do not what other film can hang with them.

spotlight like concussion is a true story.

now i spent the last several hours reading most of the important characters on wilki and this move did not hide the names of the characters. it is all there for everyone to read.

that major ex-priest was defrocked and died in prison .... he was murder. several more priest were also defrocked. damn, the only reason this never got the news, b/c of the hangover of 9/11

Oh it got plenty of news. 9-11 just delayed it.

You can read the real editorials online still at the Globes website.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Oh it got plenty of news. 9-11 just delayed it.

You can read the real editorials online still at the Globes website.

wow, many thanks for that info. i guess i missed it here in LA and all that.

what is still alarming, even after i slept, is the number of a. the unknown people who called in after and b. the scope of this cover up.

it is soooo freaking shocking on any level, and the churches attitude on covering it up. this was a great ensemble of actors in this movie.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/40-best-movies...0387052007.html

Very good list of 40...with about 7 documentaries i have yet to watch

Top Ten films of 2015...

Top tier

Spotlight

Inside Out

The Tribe (Ukrainian movie with no dialogue about school for deaf)

The Look of Silence (companion piece to The Act of Killing)

Room

Sicario

Others under consideration...

The Revenant

Beasts of No Nation

Steve Jobs

Creed

Bridge of Spies

Carol

Mad Max:Fury Road

The Martian

Brooklyn

Chi-Raq

Ex Machina

Yet to see

Star Wars, 45 Years, The Big Short, Son of Saul, Anomalisa

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 01:11 AM)
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/40-best-movies...0387052007.html

Very good list of 40...with about 7 documentaries i have yet to watch

Top Ten films of 2015...

Top tier

Spotlight

Inside Out

The Tribe (Ukrainian movie with no dialogue about school for deaf)

The Look of Silence (companion piece to The Act of Killing)

Room

Sicario

Others under consideration...

The Revenant

Beasts of No Nation

Steve Jobs

Creed

Bridge of Spies

Carol

Mad Max:Fury Road

The Martian

Brooklyn

Chi-Raq

Ex Machina

Yet to see

Star Wars, 45 Years, The Big Short, Son of Saul, Anomalisa

that was a nice find on the 40 movies. i agree with a movie i totally forgot about.

straight out of compton. that was a movie that deserves some credit. now for my disclaimer, i never got into rap but i can appreciate the talent, and this movie was great .... good acting and a good story, a true story.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
I want to see A few more things before revealing my annually highly anticipated Top 10 in January.

Does it merit its own thread...?

That is the question.

Also, the Man from UNCLE sucks...thought it could be watchable due to the presence of Alicia Vikander. But no such luck. There's always The Danish Girl I suppose, but can't find the proper motivation to watch that one.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
Does it merit its own thread...?

That is the question.

Also, the Man from UNCLE sucks...thought it could be watchable due to the presence of Alicia Vikander. But no such luck. There's always The Danish Girl I suppose, but can't find the proper motivation to watch that one.

Good question.

And agree on UNCLE. So forgettable.

i just saw a movie my brother recommended..... close circuit. 2013 movie.

i like it, it has a little of the old mystery / suspense government corruption movie... like the old pelican brief movie with julie roberts and denzel washington. really nice movie. a surprise movie.

All Spielberg's movies ranked first to last.

Pretty amazing career when War Horse is 28th/29.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/best-and-worst...9586109247.html

Paramount's The Big Short moved up one spot from Wednesday to claim third on Thursday with an estimated $1.72 million. The critically acclaimed Adam McKay directed film was down 26 percent from Wednesday, which represented one of the day's stronger daily percentage holds among wide releases. In a similar situation back in 2009, Up in the Air increased 1 percent on Christmas Eve to gross $1.75 million. The Big Short has grossed $5.49 million in two weeks and looks like it is in store for a very solid first weekend of wide release.

www.boxoffice.com

Interesting counterprograming debuting quite serious (some would say depressing in the case of Up in the Air) movies at Christmas.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 03:15 AM)
All Spielberg's movies ranked first to last.

Pretty amazing career when War Horse is 28th/29.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/best-and-worst...9586109247.html

Paramount's The Big Short moved up one spot from Wednesday to claim third on Thursday with an estimated $1.72 million. The critically acclaimed Adam McKay directed film was down 26 percent from Wednesday, which represented one of the day's stronger daily percentage holds among wide releases. In a similar situation back in 2009, Up in the Air increased 1 percent on Christmas Eve to gross $1.75 million. The Big Short has grossed $5.49 million in two weeks and looks like it is in store for a very solid first weekend of wide release.

www.boxoffice.com

Interesting counterprograming debuting quite serious (some would say depressing in the case of Up in the Air) movies at Christmas.

nice link and all, but i have problems with that list....

esp in always the movie. i really like that movie and hated some of the movies in the 5-10 area.... i don't know about it.

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief

Amy (about Amy Winehouse's career and battle with addictions/fame)

Finder's Keepers (one of my Top Ten movies of the year now...too weird to be true story about the fight for possession of a man's foot that ended up in a BBQ smoker after amputation and was accidentally sold to someone who didn't want to give it up and tried to cash in on the events for fame/fortune)

Three really high-quality documentaries. One of the most interesting things in the Scientology film was how they sabotaged Tom Cruise's relationship with Nicole Kidman and pushed him into a relationship with Iranian actress/model/biochemicist Nazanin Boniadi (who just happened to be one of my favorite Homeland characters). Also didn't know that Paul Haggis was a member for nearly 30 years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 02:48 AM)
Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief

Amy (about Amy Winehouse's career and battle with addictions/fame)

Finder's Keepers (one of my Top Ten movies of the year now...too weird to be true story about the fight for possession of a man's foot that ended up in a BBQ smoker after amputation and was accidentally sold to someone who didn't want to give it up and tried to cash in on the events for fame/fortune)

Three really high-quality documentaries. One of the most interesting things in the Scientology film was how they sabotaged Tom Cruise's relationship with Nicole Kidman and pushed him into a relationship with Iranian actress/model/biochemicist Nazanin Boniadi (who just happened to be one of my favorite Homeland characters). Also didn't know that Paul Haggis was a member for nearly 30 years.

thanks for that info.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/chistoph...ie-1201662561/A

The main characters of this film are young adults/teenagers and they'll be surrounded by an established supporting cast (Hardy, Rylance and Branagh) and it will be shot on both IMAX 15/70mm and 65mm.

I'm willing to bet that there is more to the film than what the studio has let out and that this is more than a straight up war film, but Nolan doing a "War Epic Action Thriller" on large format film is more than a straight up war film.