2015 Videogame thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
I'm probably the only person excited by this news but Shenmue 3 was announced at E3 and is being funded by Kickstarter. I might have to contribute to one of those for the first time ever.

they smashed their goal, and have already eclipsed 2 million

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
they smashed their goal, and have already eclipsed 2 million

Saw that. Projected release date of December 2017 right now so still a long ways off but considering Shenmue 2 came out in like 2001 what is another 2 and a half years to wait.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
StarFox Zero announced. I am excite

Looks really good, unfortunately no real surprises this year. Outside of Mario Tennis & some Aninmal Crossing party game, every Wii U title had been announced a while ago. Pretty disappointing Nintendo didn't have one big reveal, especially with Zelda delayed into 2H 2016.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
I'm probably the only person excited by this news but Shenmue 3 was announced at E3 and is being funded by Kickstarter. I might have to contribute to one of those for the first time ever.

Sony presenting a game and trying to fund it via their conference seemed shady as f***. Was really turned off by that.

Sony probably had the best conference overall though.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
Sony presenting a game and trying to fund it via their conference seemed shady as f***. Was really turned off by that.

Sony probably had the best conference overall though.

I didn't see it and that is shady but I'm just really happy the game is finally being made.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
Nintendo's confernece was pretty disappointing from the Wii U side. 3ds side looks fantastic though if you own one of those.

They seem to be gearing up for the Nintendo NX launch next year. I doubt Zelda even makes it out on wii u.

At this point, I'd rather have them shift resources to the NX. While the Wii U does have some great games, the system was botched from the get-go. Going with the "Wii" brand (terrible idea), not having a killer app that leveraged the control pad, a barely functioning OS at launch, and some huge game droughts early on sealed the system's fate.

IMO, Star Fox & Mario Maker look like the first two games that actually use the control pad in useful ways. Both would have been signifanctly better launch titles than Nintendoland. Hell, a legit 3D Metroid Game could have also used the controller in some cool ways. Ultimately, they couldn't convince the consumer what was special about Wii U and fought an awkward battle between targeting the hardcore Nintendo loyalist and the causal gamer. Too late in the game to introduce those games now.

Whatever the NX is, I really hope it's launched with some convincing software. Nintendo has enough money to falter through another failed console, but I'm not sure their investors will tolerate it. The NX could really be a make or break system for Nintendo as a console manufacturer. Hopefully they finally learn from their mistakes, because I'd hate a video game world without Nintendo systems, even if the games keep coming.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
Waiting for Star Fox games has been why I haven't gotten a Nintendo console in a while.

That combined with FF7, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Fallout 4 have me going nuts.

http://kotaku.com/everything-we-know-about...-sta-1711733204

I cant wait for this one

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 03:57 AM)
FO:NV was better than FO3

Yeah I thought so as well.

Finished The Witcher 3 last night, if you do all the side quests + monster hunts, there's probably at least 30 hours worth in there.

I'd be keen to have different save files from Witcher 2 and import to see what the differences are, but I don't want to go through that much gaming again (that's where Youtube comes in handy I suppose).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
At this point, I'd rather have them shift resources to the NX. While the Wii U does have some great games, the system was botched from the get-go. Going with the "Wii" brand (terrible idea), not having a killer app that leveraged the control pad, a barely functioning OS at launch, and some huge game droughts early on sealed the system's fate.

I don't think going with the Wii brand was a bad idea at all. Not simply calling it the Wii 2 was stupid. When I first heard about the Wii U I thought it was a f***ing add on, not a whole new console. The name may have killed it before it had a chance. Going with Wii 2 is something that is clear to the audience and everyone will know it's the new version. Wii U sounded like a college version of the original.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 02:11 AM)
I don't think going with the Wii brand was a bad idea at all. Not simply calling it the Wii 2 was stupid. When I first heard about the Wii U I thought it was a f***ing add on, not a whole new console. The name may have killed it before it had a chance. Going with Wii 2 is something that is clear to the audience and everyone will know it's the new version. Wii U sounded like a college version of the original.

I agree with your logic here, the Wii 2 or something like Super Wii would have been way better. Like you said, the Wii U sounds like an add-on and when it was announced, everything focused on the controller. It really seemed like a new peripheral for the Wii. And even when more details were, announced the fact all your Wii stuff could still be used added confusion.

Having said that, the Wii U was never going to resonate with the casual audience, which is why I think keeping the Wii brand was a mistake. The controller was expensive and its theoretical benefits should have been for hardcore gamers. Nintendo tried to get that causal audience anyways with Nintendoland, but it was never going to be another Wii Sports. Ultimately, they tried to leverage the Wii brand, but failed to build an offering at a price point that would appeal to the same customers.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I think the name definitely looks like a peripheral, but gamers aren't dumb they can figure out that it is a next gen system for Nintendo. The problem is always launch titles for them. They launched with Nintendoland and a bunch of ports. They needed to have Mario World 3d or MarioKart ready for launch, and they didn't have anything more than Pikmin on the way. Nintendo continues to march to their own tune though, and 3ds continues to sell games and make money for them so they don't seem to mind console mistakes

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
Broke down and finally got a ps4. MLB The Show 2015, Bloodborn, Last of Us and The Order: 1886. Pretty happy so far with the purchase.

Nice, those are good games. I don't know what your specific interests are, but some of the other best PS4 games in my opinion are Battlefield Hardline, NBA 2K15, NHL 16 (will be one), and hopefully Star Wars Battlefront when it comes out.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
Batman Arkham Knight is a ton of fun.

I got bored by the last two Batman games, but this one just has so much more variety.

And Joker adds such an increased level of intrigue.

My MLBTS 15 season is kind of weird. It's July 2nd in the season and I've played every game.

You have the good:

Chris Sale is 10-1 with a 1.55 ERA.

Jose Abreu is hitting .343 with 20 home runs.

Adam Eaton is hitting .339.

Zach Duke has a 0.00 ERA in 34 appearances.

And you have the bad:

Jeff Samardzija is 2-6 with a 4.82 ERA.

Tyler Flowers is hitting .157.

Adam LaRoche has 6 home runs.

Jake Petricka has a 5.84 ERA in 20 appearances.

I thought this would be leveled out by this point in the season, but I guess not. Overall I'm six games over .500.