2015 Videogame thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)
So...if I don't play online, is there almost no point in getting Battlefront? I'm looking to get a PS4 sometime this fall/winter and was looking at the bundles. I have crappy rural satellite internet with a 10GB monthly allotment, so online play is a non-starter for me.

There's a single player mode, but it's really not mission based. You can do split-screen or online co-op in that mode as well. I tried it and TBH it's kind of boring. Nothing like the single player missions from past Battlefront games.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
Any idea when NHL 16 will add Panarin?

Are we sure he's not on a Russian team somewhere? That worked with Tuomo Ruutu one year. I was so happy to have his face in the game.

I'd planned on starting my franchise tonight, but I can't do so without that beast.

Edited by Steve9347

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
Sony has cancelled first party development for the Vita in order to focus on the PS4. Hard to believe they just threw in the towel

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/10/23/sony-...mpaign=Blogroll

Mobile gaming on devices focused strictly on gaming is more or less dead with smartphones being so popular.

The 3DS at least has some great exclusives like Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda. The Vita never had any decent first party games.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
Mobile gaming on devices focused strictly on gaming is more or less dead with smartphones being so popular.

The 3DS at least has some great exclusives like Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda. The Vita never had any decent first party games.

The first part is undeniably true. I will disagree about decent first party games. I liked the Uncharted game that launched on it along with Gravity Rush and Tearaway. Maybe those games aren't for everyone, but I liked a few first party games. That said, my Vita doesn't get used much anymore. I think the system has been slowly dying for a while now anyway.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
The first part is undeniably true. I will disagree about decent first party games. I liked the Uncharted game that launched on it along with Gravity Rush and Tearaway. Maybe those games aren't for everyone, but I liked a few first party games. That said, my Vita doesn't get used much anymore. I think the system has been slowly dying for a while now anyway.

The device has been around 4 years, I'd expect it to have at least 4-5 games that would make me want to get the system.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
http://kotaku.com/konami-denies-hideo-koji...acat-1737501388

I finished Phantom Pain - not only was it brilliant, but it made that company a lot of money. Kojima can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

I know it's all about the profits, but the direction Konami has taken is pretty sad.

Without going into spoiler territory, how does the story compare to previous installments? I know it's toned down, but is it as bare bones as some publications suggest?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 10:58 PM)
Without going into spoiler territory, how does the story compare to previous installments? I know it's toned down, but is it as bare bones as some publications suggest?

If you compiled a list of the plot's main bullet points, it would look a lot like previous Metal Gears. But that's only surface deep. A lot of characters feel pointless and uninteresting, but the biggest problem comes in the way the story is presented. They dump most of the key exposition on you in audio tapes, several at a time, each one being anywhere from one to ten minutes long. It was hard for me to absorb the information in those while also playing, so if I wanted to get anything out of the story at all, I ended up just sitting in the base listening to tapes for long stretches.

It's also lacking some of the personality of the rest of the MGS games. The goofy Codec easter eggs are gone. I mostly forgave that because of all the weird items you can research and how they allow you to interact with enemies, but that isn't plot.

I originally wrote more here about the nature of the ending, but I cut it because even those minor details felt kind of spoilery and I don't want to taint anything for you.

I want to emphasize that despite these complaints, this is one of the funnest games. It's just fun.

I can't decide which version of Fallout 4 I should shell out for. PS4 is just easier and generally preferred but previous Fallout games have shipped borderline broken on consoles, PC is obviously superior for the FPS elements, though with the VATS system that holds less value. It's the modding that really has me torn, I know they're committed to making modding on the PS4 robust but it'll never be able to contend with the PC mod community and the modding is going to be INSANE with this game given all the new crafting elements they've added. I'M CONFUSED AND RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
I don't have this issue since I don't game on PC, but I'm glad you mentioned about the bugging on consoles, my PS3 version of Fallout 3 started to freeze on almost every play 20-30 minutes in once I got deep into the game. It was so frustrating, since I grew to adore that game.

I have to go PS4 and hopefully it's clean, but history says something different.

Yeah, I waited and grabbed the game of the year edition and had the same issues, crazy frustrating when you grind for an hour through deathclaws and super mutants, grab all kinds of awesome loot and have the game freeze on you when you return fire on a band of raiders. f*** did that piss me off but still totally worth it, no other game has ever grabbed me quite like fallout 3.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 01:53 AM)
I can't decide which version of Fallout 4 I should shell out for. PS4 is just easier and generally preferred but previous Fallout games have shipped borderline broken on consoles, PC is obviously superior for the FPS elements, though with the VATS system that holds less value. It's the modding that really has me torn, I know they're committed to making modding on the PS4 robust but it'll never be able to contend with the PC mod community and the modding is going to be INSANE with this game given all the new crafting elements they've added. I'M CONFUSED AND RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

It's a first-person shooter. PC is the only answer.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
I had GOTY addition as well. It really started to happen when you go to that weird island/swamp with the crazy guys in overalls, the game became almost unplayable with all the freezing.

It's funny too because the RPG components of Fallout have never appealed to me in other games, but I just love the Fallout series. And 4 looks amazing.

Yes! That was the DLC, I spent hours in that hillbilly world collecting every last scrap of crap over many, many hours but actually quit the game for good without returning to the wasteland because it was crazy broken. Now I'm leaning toward PC, it's just not nearly as engaging to me as playing on the big screen and PS4. The only othe rEPG I got into was Witcher 3 and I loved that game but I put in not even half the hours I did fallout 3.

I played through Fallout 3 over the past year and loved it. I tried New Vegas and just couldn't get into it, like at all. Probably because I was trying to rush through it and finish before 4 comes out.

Still looking forward to Fallout 4.

QUOTE (SnB @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:17 AM)
I played through Fallout 3 over the past year and loved it. I tried New Vegas and just couldn't get into it, like at all. Probably because I was trying to rush through it and finish before 4 comes out.

Still looking forward to Fallout 4.

The New Vegas vs Fallout 3 argument is very polarizing to people. Me, I think FO3 is the best game ever and New Vegas is just another game. Fallout 4 same devs as FO3 so that's good news.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
The New Vegas vs Fallout 3 argument is very polarizing to people. Me, I think FO3 is the best game ever and New Vegas is just another game. Fallout 4 same devs as FO3 so that's good news.

Never played New Vegas as it just didn't have the same hype factor as FO3 (which I agree is a classic). What specifically makes it inferior?