2015 Videogame thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 11:41 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=3196666:date=Jul 13, 2015 -> 08:29 AM:name=SnB)-->
QUOTE (SnB @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
<!--quotec-->Have you tried "the golf club"? I'm really enjoying it.

Looks ok, but the EA game will be more my style. Super gorgeous, great presentation, etc.

I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon. Excited to try it tomorrow. I'm a little bummed that it only comes with 8 courses and 12 pro golfers. Sounds like it's going to be a title that only comes out every couple of years. They'll be force feeding you free and pay DLC to round out the game in between.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon. Excited to try it tomorrow. I'm a little bummed that it only comes with 8 courses and 12 pro golfers. Sounds like it's going to be a title that only comes out every couple of years. They'll be force feeding you free and pay DLC to round out the game in between.

PS4? If so, I'll want your SN so we can get some rounds in. My copy arrives tomorrow as well from Amazon.

Played a fair amount last night. 5.5 seems too low, but it's not a 10 either. I think i'd give it a 7 right now.

The game itself is still fun to play. The mechanics are all there. I like the difficulty setting options that make it more of a "true" simulation (none of that spin crap while the ball is in flight). But it's pretty rough around the edges and it does feel like 90% of the budget went into the game engine and 10% went into the feature set. It's all very light on substance. The lack of a bunch of courses and players, and the lack of available information just playing the game really brings the whole experience down. For example, the zoom feature doesn't allow you to easily zoom from the ball to the pin. It starts at the pin and then you have to move back from there. I liked how previous versions of the game let you fly down the entire length of the hole.

Some other gripes:

1) The announcing team sounds great for a while, but after playing 4 rounds of a tournament Nabilo says the same 1-2 lines about each hole. It gets old quick.

2) They're also dicks sometimes. I kept hitting my putts long from 15-20 feet and they'd hit the back of the cup and go over by about 2 inches. They would both comment like "oh geez, he's going to regret that later. Not a good attempt." I just nearly holed a 20 foot putt, how about a "good effort!" or "unfortunate break!"

3) Speaking of lack of praise, winning or making an incredible shot rarely comes with any sort of celebration or even acknowledgment. I holed a 155 yard shot and neither commentator said anything about it. It basically didn't happen. Same with a few eagles I had or even a round of 62 I had for a tournament win. At best they said "and he wins the tournament on a great finishing round!" Come on, give me some fireworks or something. Show me celebrating with friends or my caddie.

4) It's awesome that you can get a full round in in about 20-25 minutes, but it could be made even faster if the cut scenes to your player after EVERY shot went away. I'm sure this is partly to give the system some time to load, but it's incredibly annoying to hit a good shot then have to watch your guy react (in the same 10 ways) for a few seconds before you hit X to skip and move to your next shot. If you could just immediately jump to your next shot it would be 100 times better.

5) The game defaults to quick rounds, which is a cool idea in theory but not great in reality. It simulates the round you're playing based on your level of play and then it lets you play 5-6 holes randomly. I think the idea they were going for is that you'll play every hole of the course over the 4 round tournament with the signature holes multiple times. The problem is that you'll often be 4-5 shots back and then only have a limited number of holes to make birdies and get back into contention. Without the full 18 you can't have a couple of bad holes and still expect to win. You almost have to birdie 3-4 holes out of the 5-6 that you play for every round. Luckily you can switch the default and play the full 18 instead.

6) In terms of the gameplay, I dunno, it seemed really easy and repetitive. By my second tournament I was shooting low 60's on the hardest difficulty (with the zoom feature on because there's no other way to see where the hell you're supposed to aim. While there's a whole hole map, there's not a green map to know the best place to land the ball. You'd think they would add an in-depth scorecard for every hole like pros are given for tournaments, but you don't.)

I also still haven't gotten my pre-order bonus from Amazon. Anyone else get that email yet?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:56 AM)
I also still haven't gotten my pre-order bonus from Amazon. Anyone else get that email yet?

I got the email but have no clue what it's for? Do you know?

Also, for some reason even though they promised delivery yesterday, it's not arriving until tomorrow. That's given me plenty of time to decide not to keep the game, so if you want the code (PS4), PM me.

Anyone played Rocket League yet? heard alot of hype about it. Finally played it today. It's fun as hell. :)

It's like FIFA with cars. You can play 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4. The matches only last for 5 minutes, but you just keep playing. :)

The controls are simple, but the skill ceiling is really high.

RevolvingAnotherKinkajou.gif

It's free on PS4 for plus members.

I got all of the Batman "Arkham" games at once just last year and played them all in reverse order for some reason. I think this may have been a mistake.

I just recently started playing Arkham Asylum and finished the main storyline in a few days. There were a few parts I had to redo 2, 3 or sometimes 4 times but for the most part, the game was much easier than the later ones. Not that the game wasn't fun. It just didn't seem as challenging as the others. There were also a few moves/gadgets that I found myself missing at a few points during the game.

The riddler trophies are really the only thing I'm having more trouble with. It's also odd with the main storyline complete that there are literally no more enemies to contend with.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
Rocket league is addictive and a blast, thanks for the recommendation! And yes it's free for plus members.

It's so much fun, especially when you play with friends.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
It's so much fun, especially when you play with friends.

I played with a friend for like 3 hours yesterday, I'm thinking it'll be a great "party" game as well. Back to the days of Mario Kart 64 battles.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
I played with a friend for like 3 hours yesterday, I'm thinking it'll be a great "party" game as well. Back to the days of Mario Kart 64 battles.

Wish I could play it. My PSN account was suspended without explanation last week. All I do online is play Battlefield and MLB The Show. I don't mod or anything.

• 2 weeks later...