French Newspaper Attack

Soxbadger

If you look at the Chinese example, where 90%+ of the population is atheistic/agnostic, the answer in the absence of Mao's dictatorship is that wealth and money become the universal aspiration and charitable giving is diminished (but not for the reason that non-believers are "immoral" and don't care as much about humanity).

Very few give to or trust charity in China because of the belief that it's a trick/scam/hoax and/or susceptible to bribery, corruption and interference by the government. Here's an example, a two year old girl who was run over twice in the street and nobody helped her (amazingly 18 people walked past without doing a thing) because they believed someone would come out and blame them for injuring the girl, moving her, taking her to a hospital, being a "good Samaritan" in general. She ended up dying later the next week in the hospital of her injuries.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/videos/2-ye...bystanders.html

One of the comments below the story was quite telling.

It isn’t ignoring, it’s not daring. If one were to encounter a Nanjing judge, one would be screwed.

[Note: “Nanjing judge” refers to the infamous 2006 case of a man named Peng Yu who helped a woman to the hospital after she had fallen only to have the old woman accuse him of knocking her down. The Nanjing judge in that case ultimately ruled that common sense dictated that only the person who hit her would take her to the hospital, setting a precedent that continues to only further discourage and reinforce many Chinese people’s wariness to help others in similar situations.]

In the end, it's like an Ayn Rand novel, where charity starts at home and families have no choice but to take care of each other in the absence of much governmental social support. Taxes are fairly low, especially compared to the US and certainly most of Europe.

There are good and bad points to this...the worst is that nearly everyone only cares about themselves (and their families). Families are self-sufficient, for the most part.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found these quotes from the comments section of a yahoo question on the topic....take them for what they're worth!!!

By percentage of Gross National Income, the top most charitable nations in the world are among the least religious nations on earth.

And guess what, the largest recipients of these money also happen to be among the most religious nations on earth.

It is funny how the world works.

Bill Gates, the most well known atheist in the world, gives more money away than anyone else on the planet Earth.

Also, "Christians" like yourself give to feel better about yourself, I volunteer to make those that are less fortunate feel better about themselves, which do you think is a more generous act?

Here's a hint, most modern "Christians" are selfish egotists.

Believers, don't be afraid to question religion. If God is so almighty, why must he ask people for their money? Or is bleeding mostly the poor and middle class for thousands of years, God's special type of love?

if you exclude donating money to churches which for some reason is labeled charity, then atheists actually do give more money than religious people. i dont think donating money to churches should count as charity because the churches just spend it on themselves rather than helping other people

Sorry, I'm sure that's a good article, but I couldn't get past the vomitous buzzfeedism of "Could Ansari be any more perfect?" as a subtitle.

Let me write the headline "Aziz Anzari responds to Rupert Murdoch on Twitter and you won't believe what happens next!"

Aziz Anzari responds to Rupert Murdoch on Twitter and it's EVERYTHING

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
Sorry, I'm sure that's a good article, but I couldn't get past the vomitous buzzfeedism of "Could Ansari be any more perfect?" as a subtitle.

Let me write the headline "Aziz Anzari responds to Rupert Murdoch on Twitter and you won't believe what happens next!"

Aziz Anzari responds to Rupert Murdoch on Twitter and it's EVERYTHING

:notworthy

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
BuzzFeed is the worst

I also completely recognize they have some great writers that write normally and it's not an automatic dismissal from me.

but man, I hate this clickbait headline s***. You can't escape it now, and it's really driving me crazy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
I also completely recognize they have some great writers that write normally and it's not an automatic dismissal from me.

but man, I hate this clickbait headline s***. You can't escape it now, and it's really driving me crazy.

If you don't tell me what the article is actually about in the headline/link, I'm not clicking.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2015 -> 11:45 PM)
found these quotes from the comments section of a yahoo question on the topic....take them for what they're worth!!!

By percentage of Gross National Income, the top most charitable nations in the world are among the least religious nations on earth.

And guess what, the largest recipients of these money also happen to be among the most religious nations on earth.

Bill Gates, the most well known atheist in the world, gives more money away than anyone else on the planet Earth.

Also, "Christians" like yourself give to feel better about yourself, I volunteer to make those that are less fortunate feel better about themselves, which do you think is a more generous act?

Believers, don't be afraid to question religion. If God is so almighty, why must he ask people for their money? Or is bleeding mostly the poor and middle class for thousands of years, God's special type of love?

if you exclude donating money to churches which for some reason is labeled charity, then atheists actually do give more money than religious people. i dont think donating money to churches should count as charity because the churches just spend it on themselves rather than helping other people

Some people are so lost. Bill Maher injured the human race lol.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2015 -> 11:45 PM)

One thing of note, Gates' religious point of view change came with the birth of his first child. He was generally, and accurately, described as non religious (waste of time on Sunday when you could be working) or even an atheist.

How many non religious based shelters do you find around a city? Food pantries? That's my main point. Churches generally are a gathering spot for communities to do good deeds directly in the community. As a nation we just don't have time for civic and fraternal groups like we use to. The Masons, Elks, Moose, etc all have declining memberships.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
One thing of note, Gates' religious point of view change came with the birth of his first child. He was generally, and accurately, described as non religious (waste of time on Sunday when you could be working) or even an atheist.

How many non religious based shelters do you find around a city? Food pantries? That's my main point. Churches generally are a gathering spot for communities to do good deeds directly in the community. As a nation we just don't have time for civic and fraternal groups like we use to. The Masons, Elks, Moose, etc all have declining memberships.

I'd imagine the church has declining membership, too.

I'm the sheep that got lost.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)

And that's where the non-believers or atheists sometimes have a problem.

When assistance or a meal is contingent upon first being proselytized to...I remember about a decade ago this was a huge issue with "compassionate conservatism" under GW Bush and the granting of Federal block funds to religious-based charities.

It's one thing to do good deeds, but if you force people to listen to "witnessing" or testimonials, it starts to become more about the religion expanding itself and less about the heart of the New Testament/peace and social justice message.

Of course, in the Bible, it doesn't say anything about the building of physical churches or donating money, that was just a later interpretation of the Church. When a majority of donations go to fundraising costs, staffing/salaries and physical office space, it tends to lose focus from the mission and become more about sustaining an organization into perpetuity.