predictions

Whisox05

Haven't seen it yet and will have to find a copy. Sporting news 2015 baseball yearbook is out and has their predictions for the year. Stuff from Scot gregor.

Just got copy of Sporting News 2015 Baseball Yearbook...they pick #WhiteSox over Angels in w-card game. Tigers over Sox in ALDS

https://twitter.com/scotgregor/status/553233515911733248

Sporting News 2015 Yearbook also picks Cubs to WIN World Series, over Tigers

https://twitter.com/scotgregor/status/553233836545695744

More Sporting News 2015 Yearbook picks: Sale wins Cy Young, Soler wins ROY, Maddon wins Manager of Year. #WhiteSox #Cubs

https://twitter.com/scotgregor/status/553236147309395968

Can someone explain to me what's with all the Cubs hype recently? Does adding Lester, Montero and bringing back Hammel, while getting Maddon to coach their team make them THAT much better? They have too many unproven talents for anyone to start hopping on their bandwagon.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
Can someone explain to me what's with all the Cubs hype recently? Does adding Lester, Montero and bringing back Hammel, while getting Maddon to coach their team make them THAT much better? They have too many unproven talents for anyone to start hopping on their bandwagon.

The Cubs could be really good, but they would need all of their young players to pan out immediately and that is very unlikely. I would say they are still 2 or 3 years away from really being contenders.

That's what I thought too, but now I sort of understand it. The Cubs performed very well during the 2nd half of the 2014 season and they have some pretty solid rotation arms, now headlined by Lester. Travis Wood is really the John Danks of their rotation which includes Hammel, Lester, Arrieta, and Hendricks, which is a formidable top 4. The only question mark is the prospects, but I think Kris Bryant is a sure thing, and one to two of the Soler/Baez/Alcantara/Schwarber crowd could be perennial all-stars- and they also have Rizzo in that lineup. I think they'll win 80-87 games next year depending on how the prospects perform, but they have very underrated pitching.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
Haven't seen it yet and will have to find a copy. Sporting news 2015 baseball yearbook is out and has their predictions for the year. Stuff from Scot gregor.

Just got copy of Sporting News 2015 Baseball Yearbook...they pick #WhiteSox over Angels in w-card game. Tigers over Sox in ALDS

https://twitter.com/scotgregor/status/553233515911733248

Sporting News 2015 Yearbook also picks Cubs to WIN World Series, over Tigers

https://twitter.com/scotgregor/status/553233836545695744

More Sporting News 2015 Yearbook picks: Sale wins Cy Young, Soler wins ROY, Maddon wins Manager of Year. #WhiteSox #Cubs

https://twitter.com/scotgregor/status/553236147309395968

As for this, I think it's ridiculous and they need to wait for Scherzer and Shields to sign.

I'm not buying into Hendricks yet, and I want to see Arrieta continue to pitch well, but there's plenty of talent there anyways. Predicting them to win the World Series, however, is mere click bait or shock journalism. No one in their right mind should be predicting them to win the World Series.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
I'm not buying into Hendricks yet, and I want to see Arrieta continue to pitch well, but there's plenty of talent there anyways. Predicting them to win the World Series, however, is mere click bait or shock journalism. No one in their right mind should be predicting them to win the World Series.

Right. It's just an attention getter. Gun to their heads, no one there picks the Cubs over the Nationals/Cardinals/Dodgers to come out of the NL.

Adding Lester immediately gives them a decent rotation. Not top of the line yet but good. It takes them from the basement to the middle of the pack.

The hype has everything to do with Theo and his group. They are leading the way for the SABR group and many of the national writers believe this is the way to go. The Cubs have compiled a number of really good hitting prospects. The only thing really missing was to buy the pitching since they didn't draft it. Their philosophy appears to be to acquire proven or MLB experienced pitching because drafting and developing them is tough to do.

So far their plan is on track.

however, for them to be that good this year, everyone one of the young players will need to have an impact and no one can have a bad year. Possible but not likely.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
Adding Lester immediately gives them a decent rotation. Not top of the line yet but good. It takes them from the basement to the middle of the pack.

The hype has everything to do with Theo and his group. They are leading the way for the SABR group and many of the national writers believe this is the way to go. The Cubs have compiled a number of really good hitting prospects. The only thing really missing was to buy the pitching since they didn't draft it. Their philosophy appears to be to acquire proven or MLB experienced pitching because drafting and developing them is tough to do.

So far their plan is on track.

however, for them to be that good this year, everyone one of the young players will need to have an impact and no one can have a bad year. Possible but not likely.

I know where you're coming from, and I personally feel that the Cubs can contend for a World Series in 2-3 years, and that's if at least 3 or Bryant, Soler, Baez, Russell, Almora and Schwarber pan out. Even if this opinion is coming from SABE writers, the Red Sox, Angels, and Dodgers still trump everyone else in terms of advance metrics. Taking a step back, this team hasn't finished above .500 in the past 5 years, and hasn't made the playoffs in 6 years, adding Lester and Maddon isn't enough to turn the ship around, unless they are banking on Bryant, Baez and Soler to be stars right out of the gate. Sabemetrics is cute and all, but basing the entire prediction on it and completely ignoring other factors like durability for 162 games and post season experience is completely asinine.

Like other posters have said, this is a perfect example of attention getting or the equivalent of Skip Bayless trolling on ESPN. I don't even think Cubs fans themselves feel that their team is ready to win a WS this season.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
That's what I thought too, but now I sort of understand it. The Cubs performed very well during the 2nd half of the 2014 season and they have some pretty solid rotation arms, now headlined by Lester. Travis Wood is really the John Danks of their rotation which includes Hammel, Lester, Arrieta, and Hendricks, which is a formidable top 4. The only question mark is the prospects, but I think Kris Bryant is a sure thing, and one to two of the Soler/Baez/Alcantara/Schwarber crowd could be perennial all-stars- and they also have Rizzo in that lineup. I think they'll win 80-87 games next year depending on how the prospects perform, but they have very underrated pitching.

The reason I said they have a bunch of unproven players is the likelihood of Hammel, Arrieta, Hendricks and Wood putting up a dud season is just as high as the likelihood of them turning in a decent season, especially in the case of of Hendricks. The guy's stuff is below average and doesn't have a good pedigree. I am willing to bet that Noesi will turn in a better season than Hendricks would.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
I guess. I just don't think them, or really anyone, is a front runner for the division let alone a shoe in for the AL pennant.

Well clearly there's no shoe-in for the pennant, but "Picking the team that won the division 4 years in a row" is an easy pick that only people who really pay attention will question. Plus, it has a solid chance of being right anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:43 PM)
Well clearly there's no shoe-in for the pennant, but "Picking the team that won the division 4 years in a row" is an easy pick that only people who really pay attention will question. Plus, it has a solid chance of being right anyway.

Yeah, I guess that is true.

Edited by woods of ypres

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)
I predict we have a better record than they do

I plan on making a lot of bets with Cubs fans on this. I think the Sox are 10-15 games better than the Cubs, but their hype is so massive right now, I'd bet I can even get a lot of non-Cubs fans to take me up on this.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:17 PM)
I plan on making a lot of bets with Cubs fans on this. I think the Sox are 10-15 games better than the Cubs, but their hype is so massive right now, I'd bet I can even get a lot of non-Cubs fans to take me up on this.

Just make it like a $5 per game bet. If the Sox finish 10 games better than the Cubs you win $50.