Jeff Samardzija contract extension?

knightni

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
Noob question why is an extension worse than being signed as a FA?

It's better for the team (the Sox in this case) because they'll get the first chance to sign him to a longer deal. It's not as good for the player because he'll most likely get less (years and/or money) than if he pursues free agency. We can only hope that the Sox have a good year and Samardzija likes it here. The Sox would have a better chance to extend him.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
It's better for the team (the Sox in this case) because they'll get the first chance to sign him to a longer deal. It's not as good for the player because he'll most likely get less (years and/or money) than if he pursues free agency. We can only hope that the Sox have a good year and Samardzija likes it here. The Sox would have a better chance to extend him.

Also, if the player thinks he risks having a bad season or getting hurt, he might give up the extra years and money to get something guaranteed sooner. A little like insurance.

I think that in the best possible case scenario, this is what happens:

Sox are winning or in the hunt some time after the All Star Break and/or Jeff is pitching well. Jeff discovers that he loves it here and would like to stay. Sox offer him a contract somewhere between Lester and whatever Shields gets, and he signs. Even a union person understands the value of not having to move away from your current home for a new job, especially if the job offer is fair. The Sox cannot afford to try and lowball him and upset him, and I don't think that they will.

I'd rather this scenario play out then go into the free agent market next offseason needing to sign one of the top pitchers.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
I think that in the best possible case scenario, this is what happens:

Sox are winning or in the hunt some time after the All Star Break and/or Jeff is pitching well. Jeff discovers that he loves it here and would like to stay. Sox offer him a contract somewhere between Lester and whatever Shields gets, and he signs. Even a union person understands the value of not having to move away from your current home for a new job, especially if the job offer is fair. The Sox cannot afford to try and lowball him and upset him, and I don't think that they will.

I'd rather this scenario play out then go into the free agent market next offseason needing to sign one of the top pitchers.

He lives in Arizona.

Ballplayers typically have a home in a warm weather climate (Arizona, Florida, etc.) and one in their teams' home city. I lived in the same building as Jake Peavy for six months and he's well known for his sprawling complex in Alabama. I don't believe teams pay for hotels on home games so it's a good decision to buy property, particularly in Chicago where with enough starting capital they're near assured to have the property build value if/when they decide to sell.

The offseason house in AZ is pretty irrelevant, it's just a place to spend offseason because you can train year-round and not being able to enjoy summer weather through your 20's and 30's without having one of the craziest work schedules of any job kinda sucks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
At the same time, the Sox last 2 second round picks look like absolutely phenomenal prospects at this juncture, and those picks occur after the compensatory round. It'd be a ways out.

At the very, bare minimum, it's a safeguard.

Is "absolutely phenomenal" really the correct verbage? Adams was nothing special last year, and while Danish has been good, he's still at WS. Let's hold off on absolutely phenomenal for now.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 05:34 AM)
Is "absolutely phenomenal" really the correct verbage? Adams was nothing special last year, and while Danish has been good, he's still at WS. Let's hold off on absolutely phenomenal for now.

59 strikeouts and 4 walks for an 18 year old would be phenomenal even if it was high school.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 10:34 PM)

Adams was ridiculous after being drafted.

With the amount of big-money pitchers that will be available next year, it may be in Jeff's interest to sign an extension with the Sox. There are only so many teams that can afford the big contracts. And if he goes to FA, there will be at l;east 6 pitchers all looking for that big money. Who's going to pay it? You can always find one or two stupid clubs, but now you have to find 6. Its going to be a numbers game, and it may actually favor the Sox for once.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)
With the amount of big-money pitchers that will be available next year, it may be in Jeff's interest to sign an extension with the Sox. There are only so many teams that can afford the big contracts. And if he goes to FA, there will be at l;east 6 pitchers all looking for that big money. Who's going to pay it? You can always find one or two stupid clubs, but now you have to find 6. Its going to be a numbers game, and it may actually favor the Sox for once.

not for the yrs he wants. there will teams willing to spend that money next yr.

this yr, the major teams are really trying to load up, maybe more than necessary.

the reason is, i think it is b/c of the sox. what the sox have done was to silently

improve themselves so much, that other teams are to play catch up.

look at their lineup, look at the first 3 in their rotation, the #4 and 5 pitchers,

don't forget Rodon being groomed in the wings. this sox team is very

Dangerous now.

that is why i am sooo excited.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
not for the yrs he wants. there will teams willing to spend that money next yr.

this yr, the major teams are really trying to load up, maybe more than necessary.

the reason is, i think it is b/c of the sox. what the sox have done was to silently

improve themselves so much, that other teams are to play catch up.

look at their lineup, look at the first 3 in their rotation, the #4 and 5 pitchers,

don't forget Rodon being groomed in the wings. this sox team is very

Dangerous now.

that is why i am sooo excited.

I share your enthusiasm, I just think with over a dozen pitchers looking for $10mil+ per year, the market will be a little tight.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)
I share your enthusiasm, I just think with over a dozen pitchers looking for $10mil+ per year, the market will be a little tight.

and b/c of the sox have improve, many teams will be force to pay that outrageous

price.

this strategy, while unintended, are going to force team to overreact and pay

some big time money.

Yes, "absolutely phenomenal" is correct. Adams and Danish are both probably top 5 prospects in a rapidly improving system.

Reasons to be optimistic about an extension for Jeff.

#1, the Cubs offer was awful. There was no good reason for him to sign it. We don't know how he would react to a realistically competitive offer.

#2, after spending time in Oakland, he had some pretty pointed comments about the organization in his press conference. After being somewhere like that, it might leave a lasting impact about not wanting to be somewhere like that, making him more likely than he was before to consider signing long term.

#3, he is back "home", and really seemed genuinely happy to be here. There is something to be said for familiarity.

#4, There is a lot of room between what the Cubs offered, and where the apparent market rates are for the Sox and Jeff to come to some sort of agreement.

#5, the White Sox have done some long term deals for starting pitchers they believe in.

#6, there is room for Jeff to sign a big deal early and it still set a nice precedence for early signing deals, that would still set a new market rate. There aren't a lot of those type of deals signed, so a 5/110 deal would still have a use to the union.

If 12.7 K/9, .9 BB/9 and 14.75 K/BB at age 18 is nothing special, I can't wait to see what he is going to do when he figures it out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
Yes, "absolutely phenomenal" is correct. Adams and Danish are both probably top 5 prospects in a rapidly improving system.

As someone who doesn't follow the minors that close, other than looking at stats, is Danish still using that 3/4, slide step quick delivery that he was in high school or have the Sox changed it?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)

Any deal that's team-friendly enough for you and I to feel comfortable with is a deal that will be EASY for him to land in FA, no matter how many big names are out there. If he gets to the point where people are bidding him up -- the winner, buy definition, will be the first team willing to go high enough that it ISN'T comfortable.

Put another way, if his 2015 performance puts him in a position to actually accept 5/110 or something, then that probably means he didn't pitch that well and we'll be afraid to give it to him.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
Did I just read that Spencer Adams was "nothing special last year"??

In 41 innings, he struck out 59 batters and only walked 4. I can't even do that in my Road To The Show career. That's a 14.75 K/BB rate. That's unbelievable, and a little more than just special.

:lol: good times!