Jeff Samardzija contract extension?

knightni

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
Samardzija has remained consistent with his words in that he wants to hit FA. This is his one chance to fully cash in on that opportunity and why I did not like the idea of trading for him in the first place.

That said, I still look forward to watching him pitch for the sox this upcoming season.

Worst case scenario, they can get a compensation pick for him if he walks away. And we didn't give up a whole lot other than Semien in my eyes. You have to give value to get value.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 11:15 PM)
Samardzija has remained consistent with his words in that he wants to hit FA. This is his one chance to fully cash in on that opportunity and why I did not like the idea of trading for him in the first place.

That said, I still look forward to watching him pitch for the sox this upcoming season.

i did not like the idea of the trade, b/c Jeff S was not going to sign a pre-trade deal, and the sox gave up some players that i liked.

but that was before, now he is a sox, he showed to be a great player who really embraces the sox and the fans.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
I can't imagine the nerves involved there, knowing any injury may be the difference between you and 100 million.

and that is why he wants more than 100 mil. look at shields, i bet he would have signed that contract that he was offered earlier.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)
and that is why he wants more than 100 mil. look at shields, i bet he would have signed that contract that he was offered earlier.

Shields is still going to get $80-90 million from SOMEONE.

Eventually. Not the $144 million Greinke deal he and his agent were seeking going into last offseason. But he won't be hurting. It's not going to be one of those situations like Juan Gonzalez and DET.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
Worst case scenario, they can get a compensation pick for him if he walks away. And we didn't give up a whole lot other than Semien in my eyes. You have to give value to get value.

Comp picks have value but that pick will do nothing in the short term to replace JS if he signs elsewhere. I know this will not be a popular opinion but I think out of the crop of players traded, Bassitt hurts the most. His second outing against the tigers was most impressive and if he learns to be consistent he could be a pretty damn good pitcher that comes with 6 years of control. If he stays healthy he will thrive out there in Oakland long after JS is gone.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)
i did not like the idea of the trade, b/c Jeff S was not going to sign a pre-trade deal, and the sox gave up some players that i liked.

but that was before, now he is a sox, he showed to be a great player who really embraces the sox and the fans.

Same here. I am actually pretty high on Bassitt and Ravelo but I suppose it neither here nor there now. I was really hoping the Sox would have gone after Eovaldi but we all know how that turned out. :P

I don't hate the trade, just not much of a fan of it. Also, Jeff's next contract will be a very costly one and the bidding could very well start around 5/100.

Shark's agent talks on MLB radio and sidesteps the extension question kinda by saying Shark has earned the right to be courted in FA but they will have those talks with the FO

when the time is ripe (They owe JR and RH that much out of courtesy and respect). This should heay up after the ASB. We just have to be patient and hope for the best.

Link: https://soundcloud.com/mlbnetworkradio/mark...office-with-jim

QUOTE (thegringokid @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 06:41 AM)
Shark's agent talks on MLB radio and sidesteps the extension question kinda by saying Shark has earned the right to be courted in FA but they will have those talks with the FO

when the time is ripe (They owe JR and RH that much out of courtesy and respect). This should heay up after the ASB. We just have to be patient and hope for the best.

Link: https://soundcloud.com/mlbnetworkradio/mark...office-with-jim

that was the same statement that Shark said when he came over in the trade.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
Comp picks have value but that pick will do nothing in the short term to replace JS if he signs elsewhere. I know this will not be a popular opinion but I think out of the crop of players traded, Bassitt hurts the most. His second outing against the tigers was most impressive and if he learns to be consistent he could be a pretty damn good pitcher that comes with 6 years of control. If he stays healthy he will thrive out there in Oakland long after JS is gone.

Same here. I am actually pretty high on Bassitt and Ravelo but I suppose it neither here nor there now. I was really hoping the Sox would have gone after Eovaldi but we all know how that turned out. :P

I don't hate the trade, just not much of a fan of it. Also, Jeff's next contract will be a very costly one and the bidding could very well start around 5/100.

I agree that Bassitt will be a decent MLB starter. I saw him pitch in person and liked what I saw. However, he does not have the ceiling to reach what JS is and I think that iit was worth the chance to get him long term.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
I agree with Roost but it's water under the bridge.

Anyway, Samardzija will be, at best, the third to best starter on the FA market next year; and maybe the 5th to best. What does that do to his leverage?

Nothing. Teams need good pitchers and Jeff Samardzija is a good pitcher.

Anyway, Samardzija will be, at best, the third to best starter on the FA market next year; and maybe the 5th to best. What does that do to his leverage?

Shields would be the 3rd best free agent pitcher this year, and he is looking something in the area code of nine figures. I think Jeff's leverage will be just fine.

He has a lot riding on his 2015 results.

What makes one think he would take at least a slight discount if he extended is the "waiting to see what it's like". Unless he signs with a team he's played with, if his goal is the open market, one thing he isn't going to know is "how it's like" with the team he ultimately joins.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
The fact that they are already mentioning the possibility of talking extension IN season should say a lot.

I'm not arguing that you have some legit info to the contrary, but the whole thing just seems so nonsensical to me. Why WOULD we agree to an extension in season, unless it was a significant overpay? The Sox aren't going to want to give him free market money unless he shows them success, and by the time he shows them success, he'll be a free agent anyway, which, at that point, is only upside for him. If he was going to sign an extension, he should/would have done it already. The reason you do that is to sell your injury/performance risk to the team. But he's already taken the risk and now he's set up to reap the benefits.

I just don't get it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
He has a lot riding on his 2015 results.

What makes one think he would take at least a slight discount if he extended is the "waiting to see what it's like". Unless he signs with a team he's played with, if his goal is the open market, one thing he isn't going to know is "how it's like" with the team he ultimately joins.

I think the Sox are counting on the guy sticking to his words where he wants to be in a good organization and feel comfortable. If the Sox do this he will pick the Sox if the offers are close. I don't think a dicount is expected but the goodwill and the comfortable fit.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
I'm not arguing that you have some legit info to the contrary, but the whole thing just seems so nonsensical to me. Why WOULD we agree to an extension in season, unless it was a significant overpay? The Sox aren't going to want to give him free market money unless he shows them success, and by the time he shows them success, he'll be a free agent anyway, which, at that point, is only upside for him. If he was going to sign an extension, he should/would have done it already. The reason you do that is to sell your injury/performance risk to the team. But he's already taken the risk and now he's set up to reap the benefits.

I just don't get it.

He's made it pretty clear he wants to see what the team and management etc is like for a half a season or so before committing here long term. That's why.

I just don't get it.

See my previous comment. I think they are going on his word that he will pick a comfortable situation. But the money needs to be close. I don't think a monetary discount is expected.

I just don't get it.

He grew up a Sox fan, wants to live in Chicago. If he can get close to market rate in that scenario why wouldnt he?

if i remember correctly, it was either Jeff S and / or his camp that stated on whether he would be signing a extension. i will paraphrase what was said. why would I / jeff sign an extension, he is a big union backer and the union went to great lengths for him to test the market out. he / I will go do fa.

i am sure, these guys on this site are smarter at this than i, would be able to find the link.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
He's made it pretty clear he wants to see what the team and management etc is like for a half a season or so before committing here long term. That's why.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
See my previous comment. I think they are going on his word that he will pick a comfortable situation. But the money needs to be close. I don't think a monetary discount is expected.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
He grew up a Sox fan, wants to live in Chicago. If he can get close to market rate in that scenario why wouldnt he?

Right, but if it takes a half a year, and he wants close to market rate -- he's hitting free agency. That doesn't mean he won't end up signing here, but it's not going to be until he finds out what the best offer is and gives the Sox a chance to get close.

Edited by Eminor3rd