dunn's.future with the organization

ron883

Do you think there is any future in the organization for him? Obviously, he may not want to. I think he would be a great clubhouse presence to have around. The scott carroll story is one of the coolest things I've heard a player do. Dunn is the epitome of class. I think the sox owe him a spot in the organization if he wants in. Sure, he didn't live up to the contract, but he was always classy and you knew it weighed in him. I doubt his number gets placed on the outfield wall, but a coaching position I can see

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 08:07 AM)
Do you think there is any future in the organization for him? Obviously, he may not want to. I think he would be a great clubhouse presence to have around. The scott carroll story is one of the coolest things I've heard a player do. Dunn is the epitome of class. I think the sox owe him a spot in the organization if he wants in. Sure, he didn't live up to the contract, but he was always classy and you knew it weighed in him. I doubt his number gets placed on the outfield wall, but a coaching position I can see

Dunn has a baseball camp, entertainment business and a ranch in Texas. I'd say there is little chance, at least short term, he'd want to come back.

Also, what does Dunn have to do with Scott Carroll? What story are you referring to?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)

you know JR's MO, he pays back loyalty.

but where would they put him. at what spot, has he ever shown a knack for coaching,

like maybe Paulie??

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
Dunn has a baseball camp, entertainment business and a ranch in Texas. I'd say there is little chance, at least short term, he'd want to come back.

Also, what does Dunn have to do with Scott Carroll? What story are you referring to?

After Carroll's debut he asked Dunn for recommendations on restaurants that could accommodate 35 family members. Dunn made some calls and told Carroll he got him a reservation - along with paying the full tab.

Dunn always was pure class, kinda like Thome. I'd welcome him back to the org.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 08:18 AM)
After Carroll's debut he asked Dunn for recommendations on restaurants that could accommodate 35 family members. Dunn made some calls and told Carroll he got him a reservation - along with paying the full tab.

Ah OK, now I remember, I couldn't recall that.

I thought Dunn handled himself very well off the field during his time here, totally agree on that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)
Ah OK, now I remember, I couldn't recall that.

I thought Dunn handled himself very well off the field during his time here, totally agree on that.

For as bad as he was on the field, he handled his off of the field stuff above and beyond the call of duty. He caught a lot of unnecessary flack.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)

never heard that story, as some already said this, i think that a classy thing to do.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
I don't think Dunn would want to coach, and why would he want to coach in a place he heard so many boos?

Fans can only take so much, lol. I'm sure Adam understood and doesn't have any hard feelings about it. He knows he stunk it up.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
The Sox do not owe Dunn anything. (unless there was some deferred money that I am unaware of)

This. If anything his performance to contract ratio has the debt as Dunn owes the Sox. I like the clubhouse and off the field comparison to Thome. It just ends on the field.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)
This. If anything his performance to contract ratio has the debt as Dunn owes the Sox.

Well, no. 2011 was obviously a disaster, but we really shouldn't or couldn't have expected more than he gave the Sox in 2012, 2013, and 2014.

If the Sox gave me $10 million a year to be a power hitter in the middle of the lineup, and I went out and hit .005/.008/.008 (which is 3 for 600 with 2 HBP and a ball I sliced down the right field line which somehow ended up as a triple, much the same as Paul Konerko got an inside the park home run), should I owe anything to the White Sox? They were misguided in their attempt to fill a hole and I produced as expected.

Adam Dunn doesn't owe the Sox anything and he accomplished exactly what should have been expected of him (again, outside of 2011).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
Well, no. 2011 was obviously a disaster, but we really shouldn't or couldn't have expected more than he gave the Sox in 2012, 2013, and 2014.

If the Sox gave me $10 million a year to be a power hitter in the middle of the lineup, and I went out and hit .005/.008/.008 (which is 3 for 600 with 2 HBP and a ball I sliced down the right field line which somehow ended up as a triple, much the same as Paul Konerko got an inside the park home run), should I owe anything to the White Sox? They were misguided in their attempt to fill a hole and I produced as expected.

Adam Dunn doesn't owe the Sox anything and he accomplished exactly what should have been expected of him (again, outside of 2011).

Dunn has retired he had to disappoint a lot of fans but I always thought the player who most exemplified the White Sox was Buehrle. I would like him to come back to the sox after his retirement in some capacity. If he can do it perhaps pitching coach.

Edited by sammy esposito

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)

Dunn has retired he had to disappoint a lot of fans but I always thought the player who most exemplified the White Sox was Buehrle. I would like him to come back to the sox after his retirement in some capacity. If he can do it perhaps pitching coach.

I love Mark, but is one of the last guys I see as a coach. It just doesn't seem like his personality. I remember him saying at one point after a bad start to a season that he didn't even workout in the off-season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
I love Mark, but is one of the last guys I see as a coach. It just doesn't seem like his personality. I remember him saying at one point after a bad start to a season that he didn't even workout in the off-season.

I agree. There is really zero chance Buehrle has a job in baseball after retirement. Not that he couldn't get one if he wanted, but the day he retires he's going home to be with the wife and kids and spend a lot of time in that tree stand.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
I agree. There is really zero chance Buehrle has a job in baseball after retirement. Not that he couldn't get one if he wanted, but the day he retires he's going home to be with the wife and kids and spend a lot of time in that tree stand.

Exactly. His heart isn't in baseball.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)

That's quite the caveat when you say outside of the worst season in the history of the sport. That was the season the Sox cared about most when they signed him. They weren't even thinking about 2014. How much salary is -3.0 WAR worth?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
That's quite the caveat when you say outside of the worst season in the history of the sport. That was the season the Sox cared about most when they signed him. They weren't even thinking about 2014. How much salary is -3.0 WAR worth?

$14 million IIRC.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)

Oh 2011 was an unmitigated disaster and it really sucks that it happened like it did and he sucked. I won't say that it was a good signing or that he was worth the contract, because he clearly wasn't, but he doesn't owe anything to the White Sox. That was all I was saying.

QUOTE (lvjeremylv @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 01:01 AM)
You can't pitch 200+ innings for 14 years in a row, win 199 games, throw a perfect game AND a no-hitter, and help lead your team to a World Series if your "heart isn't in it".

Why? Can people not excel at jobs with which they are not happy? Mark Buehrle talked about retiring at 28/29, and talked about retiring at 32/33. I think he enjoys baseball, but it's work. He's made more than $100 million in his career, and he doesn't appear to be the type to enjoy a lavish lifestyle. Just because someone succeeds in their career exceedingly well does not mean that they enjoy it or want to be apart of it as long as they are a capable worker.