Tom Ricketts has thoughts.

Kyyle23

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)
Look at Cubs attendance and tell me nothing has changed.

and when they snagged maddon, the media was masturbating all over him and the "next year is now" narrative.

and when they signed lester, it was as if they all but won the world series.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 06:33 PM)
and when they snagged maddon, the media was masturbating all over him and the "next year is now" narrative.

and when they signed lester, it was as if they all but won the world series.

and you think anything has change???

they will always be the darling's of the media. the media always love

the underdog.

the only way to change that is to win !!!!!!

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 07:26 AM)
My question is why are Sox fans offended? Ricketts was talking at Cubs Convention with Cubs fans and made a joke. First of all, the attendance problem is real and true. Second, it's an innocuous joke. Sox fans would get a similar kick out of a joke told by KW at the Cubs expense if the circumstances were similar.

This. The amount of butthurt in this thread is unbelievable.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
This. The amount of butthurt in this thread is unbelievable.

I don't think we as Sox fans should pretend cubs news doesn't really bother us. It bothers us man. That's the enemy. That's our most hated rival, the enemy constantly at the gates year round. They have control of the town. A part of growing up a Sox fan is the hope that one day maybe the Sox could be SO good that the cubs become irrelevant in this town. How can you not want that, to own the town one day? Everything positive about the cubs is so annoying to me. I mean, do you really want all your cub fan buddies calling you non stop for eternity if they finally win it? Please heavens mercy no.

Not calling you out or anything, just saying some people feel this way and can't have a cavalier attitude about it.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
Sox won a world series, and not much changed. And that was with cub teams that were horrible in 05-06

Lol - "not much changed"? Your what hurts? A whole lot changed! We had a waiting list for season tickets in 2006 and set a franchise record for attendance that season by drawing just short of three million fans. Turns out our oft-maligned fan base found exciting post season play interesting. Who knew! But since then the team has returned to the typical achievement level experienced during the other 33 years of the current ownership's regime. That's the part that needs to change, and here's to hoping that happens this season, and continues on for the foreseeable future!

No playoff appearances in 6 years (nearing the normal Sox total of one appearance per decade that kind of got ruined there with the anomalies of 2005 and 2008 so close together).

2007/2009/2011/2013 really sucked.

Other than Abreu, no significant talent added to the team in the free agent market, largely due to the presence of Dunn and Danks...until now.

thanks, M34

Actually, the White Sox should at least be as strong as the Mariners franchise. However, Seattle has a nicer stadium, a huge new tv contract that pays around $120 million per season (dovetailing nicely with their recent spending) and the fact they've never made it to the World Series.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
It would take a Cardinals-esque run in order for there to be a real shift in fans. The Cubs have too many innate advantages at the moment.

Not to mention the fact that the Royals are making inroads in western Missouri, Nebraska (farm team there), Kansas and southwestern Iowa.

The Brewers pen them in from the north. Tigers from the near East.

The major market opportunity they have is the opening up of Cuba, but how to take more advantage of it economically...where the money would go to the Sox directly and not be split with MLB?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 07:29 PM)
Not to mention the fact that the Royals are making inroads in western Missouri, Nebraska (farm team there), Kansas and southwestern Iowa.

The Brewers pen them in from the north. Tigers from the near East.

The major market opportunity they have is the opening up of Cuba, but how to take more advantage of it economically...where the money would go to the Sox directly and not be split with MLB?

Lol finally unlock the CSN Chicago channel on everyone's direct tv dish down there?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
Lol finally unlock the CSN Chicago channel on everyone's direct tv dish down there?

First, they would have to make owning a satellite dish legal, lol.

Maybe it has happened in the last year, or will happen soon.

That's an 11 million population. One wonders if Brooks Boyer and the marketing group ever looked at making the White Sox "Cuba's Team" like the Cubs and Braves attempted with WGN and TBS in the 80's and early 90's?

Edited by caulfield12

Getting worked up over a dumb joke from Ricketts at cubs convention is not the way I want to spend my time. The Sox have a more family friendly experience at the ballpark. They are hoping that builds generations of fans. I'm sure you guys know as much as I do that if you mention anything positive about the Sox to a Cubs fan, the attendance joke gets used.

"Abreu was awesome last year."

"Too bad no one showed up to see him."

"I have Sox season tickets."

"Do they let you sit wherever you want?"

"Kids have more fun at U.S. Cellular Field."

“Can’t be that many kids having fun at U.S. Cellular."

It's the same garbage they always fall back on, no matter the discussion. Wash, rinse, repeat.

QUOTE (skobabe8 @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 08:14 AM)
Getting worked up over a dumb joke from Ricketts at cubs convention is not the way I want to spend my time. The Sox have a more family friendly experience at the ballpark. They are hoping that builds generations of fans. I'm sure you guys know as much as I do that if you mention anything positive about the Sox to a Cubs fan, the attendance joke gets used.

"Abreu was awesome last year."

"Too bad no one showed up to see him."

"I have Sox season tickets."

"Do they let you sit wherever you want?"

"Kids have more fun at U.S. Cellular Field."

“Can’t be that many kids having fun at U.S. Cellular."

It's the same garbage they always fall back on, no matter the discussion. Wash, rinse, repeat.

True dat

It is true the Cubs far outdraw the Sox, and that it would be great if more Sox fans showed up for games (and I think a lot more will this year, though not nearly enough to catch the Cubs yet).

It is also true The Cell is a far better destination for kids, which is something that will help the Sox while the Cubs don't get that advantage.

It is also also true that a guy in Ricketts' position shouldn't be saying stuff like that because it makes him look like an unprofessional buffoon.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
I don't think we as Sox fans should pretend cubs news doesn't really bother us. It bothers us man. That's the enemy. That's our most hated rival, the enemy constantly at the gates year round. They have control of the town. A part of growing up a Sox fan is the hope that one day maybe the Sox could be SO good that the cubs become irrelevant in this town. How can you not want that, to own the town one day? Everything positive about the cubs is so annoying to me. I mean, do you really want all your cub fan buddies calling you non stop for eternity if they finally win it? Please heavens mercy no.

Not calling you out or anything, just saying some people feel this way and can't have a cavalier attitude about it.

I'm usually more worried about Detroit, Minnesota and now Kansas City in any given year than the Cubs.