Source: Scherzer to Nationals

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
MONDAY 10:40am: Scherzer will receive $210MM for seven years of work, but the contract has a very unusual structure, with Scherzer receiving $15MM per season for the next 14 years, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. That means the Nationals will be paying Scherzer through 2028. Also, Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan tweets that the deal includes a $50MM signing bonus that will be paid out “over a portion of time” for tax reasons. That bonus would, presumably, be included in the $210MM total.

Oh my...that is horrendous.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)
So the sidebar to this is that the Nationals have let it be known that they plan on trading Strasburg, NOT Zimmerman

Red Sox, Padres, Rangers and Cardinals seem like the best trade scenarios. With that said, Cubs could offer Russell and more and probably get him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Thrilled with this deal. Scherzer had replaced Johan as the pitcher I felt the Sox had no chance to defeat when on the mound. Also, doesn't hurt to have a super rotation out there in case they face Cubs in postseason.

More likely to face the Sox in the postseason.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
Red Sox, Padres, Rangers and Cardinals seem like the best trade scenarios. With that said, Cubs could offer Russell and more and probably get him.

One would think they would like to trade him to the AL or get haunted by his presence

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
Is that $15 million presumably inflation adjusted so that he actually receives more than $15 million per year towards the end?

From what I read, no. It's $15 million a year for 14 years. While the total payment will be $210 million, the guess is that it's worth more like $170 million in present day value. Although non-residents do not pay a state income tax in D.C., so he'll get some value back that way.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
From what I read, no. It's $15 million a year for 14 years. While the total payment will be $210 million, the guess is that it's worth more like $170 million in present day value. Although non-residents do not pay a state income tax in D.C., so he'll get some value back that way.

This is actually a good idea. In 8 years, that $15 million will be next to nothing. Your sub-par 1 WAR player might be making $8-10 million a year by then.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
So the sidebar to this is that the Nationals have let it be known that they plan on trading Strasburg, NOT Zimmerman

Its too bad Strasburg's agent is you know who. Would love to see a Sox rotation of Sale, Shark, Q, Strasburg and Rodon. Nothing wrong with five front line starters in the rotation.

Oh well, one can dream right?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Its too bad Strasburg's agent is you know who. Would love to see a Sox rotation of Sale, Shark, Q, Strasburg and Rodon. Nothing wrong with five front line starters in the rotation.

Oh well, one can dream right?

Stras's agent has nothing to do with why that won't happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)

If I'm the nats, the Cubs have to give up one of Bryant or soler , plus. Russell, Baez, Alcantara, almora, all suspects. Stras is the real deal and u can't botch that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
Stras's agent has nothing to do with why that won't happen.

I understand that Strasburg would take a haul the Sox would be unwilling to pay but I'm thinking with Boras as his agent, an extension would likely be out of the question.

That's why Chris Sale is near the top of every trade value list. Seriously, imagine what he would be worth in the open market.

It's also unfortunately Rodon is a Boras guy. If we could work out an extension for him in a couple of seasons, we would continue to enjoy incredible cap flexibility.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
Does this effect the next Samardijza contract in any way good or bad?

They're such different level pitchers I don't believe so. This is similar to the money I though Scherzer would get, but the terms are crazy. Maybe "avoiding crazy terms" winds up impacting S a bit, but I don't know about that.

Shields struggling to get a deal, waiting until at least late January, and possibly taking slightly below what people thought he'd get might have more of an impact, IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
They're such different level pitchers I don't believe so. This is similar to the money I though Scherzer would get, but the terms are crazy. Maybe "avoiding crazy terms" winds up impacting S a bit, but I don't know about that.

Shields struggling to get a deal, waiting until at least late January, and possibly taking slightly below what people thought he'd get might have more of an impact, IMO.

What's crazy about the terms?

But if Washington had maintained the status quo with its rotation -- arguably the best in the majors as it was -- the Nationals probably would've had an excellent chance to get to the postseason again.

That's a tremendous group, reflected in their cumulative 20.3 WAR, and there really is no reason to think that quintet wouldn't do something close to that in 2015, or maybe even better. Fister, who turns 31 in a couple of weeks, is the oldest of the group, and seems to be getting better and better. Gonzalez is 29, Roark is 28, Zimmermann is 28 and Strasburg is 26.

www.espninsider.com/busterolney