State of the Union

Jenksismyhero

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 08:14 PM)
Show me just what you think is wrong with what I posted. Besides you not liking it. She was a carperbagger, Bill cheated and she looked the other way, she had no political experience before than and got their on name recognition, Bengazi happened, people died and they wrongly blamed a movie. And Walker and MArtinez are governors and running states.

So a woman who goes to Yale Law and is considered one of the best lawyers in the country is a carpetbagger solely because her husband decides to run for President? Sexism and misogyny for the win!

No political experience? (also it's "then" and "there") In what world does Hillary Clinton have no political experience? Additionally, being a lawyer and the wife of a governor and president gives you - I'd think - SOME insight into the world of politics. No?

Benghazi is hilarious. HILLarious. http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/benghazi.asp

And Walker is literally a joke who almost got recalled by his own constituents. And Martinez's state was one of just TWO states to lose jobs in 2014. Good luck with that.

Edited by Reddy

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 08:29 PM)
This is about the only thing you said I can agree with. However, since you can't read, I DID mention that in the post you had referred to. " 6 figure salaries for professors and even higher for admin and some coaches?"...

that's why I mentioned it, because I can - in fact - read.

I can also spell!

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:32 PM)
So a woman who goes to Yale Law and is considered one of the best lawyers in the country is a carpetbagger solely because her husband decides to run for President? Sexism and misogyny for the win! Carpetbagger because they shopped for a state to give her the best chance to win office, moved there and then ran. Now if she were to have ran in Arkansas, slightly different story. And I have no idea WHAT planet you are on where she is one of the 'best lawyers in the country'.

No political experience? (also it's "then" and "there") In what world does Hillary Clinton have no political experience? Additionally, being a lawyer and the wife of a governor and president gives you - I'd think - SOME insight into the world of politics. No? What office did she hold prior to carpetbagging her way into the NY Senate? NONE.

Benghazi is hilarious. HILLarious. http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/benghazi.asp

That link says nothing about them falsely blaming a movie for the terrorist actions. Nice try.

And Walker is literally a joke who almost got recalled by his own constituents. And Martinez's state was one of just TWO states to lose jobs in 2014. Good luck with that.

Walker won 3 elections in like 4 years, against everything the Democratic machine could throw against him. And why do you hate latino women?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 03:25 PM)
Presume this portion of the benefit is for Illinois residents only. I'm surprised that it works for out of state schools. Of course I'd have to do the math to see what the actual returns are from this sort of policy. Given the insane increases in tuition, you'd think this would be a pretty positive as it provides you with really insurance that you know the cost is covered (vs. estimating what is necessary). Flip side is, its less transparent right, since where your kids ultimately go to school can vary significantly in price so you might prepay and end up paying more and they go to a less expensive school vs. the more expensive so if you just put the money aside, you'd have more that you could roll over to a grand kid or another child (if it went unused).

The way it works is that once you finish paying the tuition is guaranteed at any state public school. Even if the kid goes to the cheapest state school, it's a benefit after 10 years of tuition increases. If the kid goes to a private or out of state school the plan pays the average of all of the state school tuition. As I said earlier we paid about 43,000 over the 10 years of the plan and the average of the state schools tuition is about 19,000, so she will get about 80,000 of money from our 43,000 investment.

My son is 3 years behind her. we will pay about 60,000 for his plan, so the benefit will depend on how much the tuition goes up in that time. Either way I don't think I could invest the money and get that type of return.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 08:29 PM)
This is about the only thing you said I can agree with. However, since you can't read, I DID mention that in the post you had referred to. " 6 figure salaries for professors and even higher for admin and some coaches?"...

Coaches earn 10-20 times the highest paid professor at a lot of state universities. Sometimes 50 times higher.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
In the current system, if parents contributed nothing, the kids coming from those who couldn't afford would be better off than the kids coming from those who did afford. I think there is a great place for a 529. I'm a fan of any program that encourages people to save and plan and pay for something in the future. Just as I am a huge fan of us incentivizing retirement (through IRA's) because I think these are all things that we as individuals should control and prepare for. I do realize that you can't always prepare for them and every family has different incomes and needs and clearly a family making 30K can't possibly squirrel away enough money to send their kids to college. But to me the concept of putting me in control vs. the government, which is what these programs do, is great.

If you can't tell by now, I like to be in control and responsible. I don't want to be counting on the government to provide the service. I don't mind the tax incentive when it is being used as a way to encourage something critical (in this case minimizing collegiate debt and encouraging savings to provide and educate our future leaders and youth). However, when you put the money into government programs with government schools, my fear is that the overall costs will just increase even more and be even more out of control.

The current system of paying for college is based on how much the government and the school determines the parents should contribute. This is done through the FAFSA and cost calculation. The parents are assigned a universal number that they use to determine how much aid/loans is needed for the kid. It's roughly 18% of the net worth. If the kids has assets the formula figures about 22% of those can be used for college costs.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
I'd rather we get back to fully publicly funded world-class universities than having a bunch of Rube Goldberg 10-20 year tax incentive programs. It seems like a much more reliable and even-handed way of assuring access to higher education for everyone, poor to wealthy.

The problem is that most state don't have the funds for this. The state schools in Illinois are down to about 20% funding from the state.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)
How about lowering the cost of tuition? 6 figure salaries for professors and even higher for admin and some coaches? More admin staff than teachers? Quit trying to figure out how to afford the high prices, figure out how to get the prices down.

Universities can't lower the tuition. The state continually decreases funding and their needs to be revenue from somewhere. Less than 30% of the public school professors make 6 figure salaries. I'm in a high demand profession with nearly 20 years experience and I don't make near that. Administrators do though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
Coaches earn 10-20 times the highest paid professor at a lot of state universities. Sometimes 50 times higher.

The rationale is that they bring in alot of money. Much more than they cost. I agree with you however that it is a flawed system.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
Obviously the key here is for the GOP to break from the hardcore right and be more centrist, especially on social issues. Unfortunately the candidates right now are pathetic, but a guy like Christie - assuming he can get out of the primary - would be a formidable foe. He'd appeal to a lot of the centrist voters. .

I'd be ecstatic if there was a centrist party. Then I'd have another realistic option when voting at the national level. As it is, the GOP is just wrong on too many basic points for me to swing that way.

And there is the argument that the Dems are actually the centrist party, and there's no real leftist party.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:14 PM)
Show me just what you think is wrong with what I posted. Besides you not liking it. She was a carperbagger, Bill cheated and she looked the other way, she had no political experience before than and got their on name recognition, Bengazi happened, people died and they wrongly blamed a movie. And Walker and MArtinez are governors and running states.

I'm curious what this has to do with running for president.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)
Professors are the 1%.

Does Walker even have a college degree?

Somehow I have a feeling if you substituted Wall Street stock broker or real estate broker, for teacher/fire fighter/policeman, you would say they deserve their high salaries despite not actually producing anything.

Nevertheless, if all the millionaires of the world got there without a higher education, then I might agree. It used to be the case in the past, but now every upper and middle class parent makes their kid go to college. Did you? If you really believe it's a waste of time and money and professors are terribly overpaid, why bother? Or would you want your child educated by someone with only 2-4 years of higher education rather than 6-9?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 08:18 PM)
Universities can't lower the tuition. The state continually decreases funding and their needs to be revenue from somewhere. Less than 30% of the public school professors make 6 figure salaries. I'm in a high demand profession with nearly 20 years experience and I don't make near that. Administrators do though.

More and more it's low paid adjuncts teaching anyways. The idea that it's those professors living high on the hog driving increasing tuition is just silly.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:14 PM)

Lol benghazi

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 09:21 PM)
The rationale is that they bring in alot of money. Much more than they cost. I agree with you however that it is a flawed system.

This year, I'm on a 1 year, 0 job security deal, and teaching classes for >700 students. If you add up the money I'm bringing to the university based on the amount these kids are paying for the credit hours I'm teaching I'm easily generating several million dollars in revenue for the university by myself. Probably close to $3 million (although how they budget that is hard to calculate because of the money picked up by different financial aid groups).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)
More and more it's low paid adjuncts teaching anyways. The idea that it's those professors living high on the hog driving increasing tuition is just silly.

Usually with only 1-2 classes and no benefits/health care...and good luck if you teach English, history, poly sci, philosophy, religion, etc.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 09:52 PM)
This year, I'm on a 1 year, 0 job security deal, and teaching classes for >700 students. If you add up the money I'm bringing to the university based on the amount these kids are paying for the credit hours I'm teaching I'm easily generating several million dollars in revenue for the university by myself. Probably close to $3 million (although how they budget that is hard to calculate because of the money picked up by different financial aid groups).

I agree. However, that pales in comparison to what a football coach will bring in when you factor the tickets, food, merchandise etc.

Running admissions for our program I could make the case I bring in all of our students which means it's roughly 2 million per year.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
Usually with only 1-2 classes and no benefits/health care...and good luck if you teach English, history, poly sci, philosophy, religion, etc.

Philosophy is the real low one. UIC had the professors go on strike because they were making 30,000 with 10 years experience.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 09:48 PM)
Lol benghazi

Newt Gingrich was divorced three times and left one of his wives after a cancer diagnosis.

So we shouldn't elect someone president whose spouse cheated or vice-versa? Then Thomas Jefferson and FDR can't be top 5-6 ranked if you follow the logic of this thread.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 11:06 PM)
Newt Gingrich was divorced three times and left one of his wives after a cancer diagnosis.

So we shouldn't elect someone president whose spouse cheated or vice-versa? Then Thomas Jefferson and FDR can't be top 5-6 ranked if you follow the logic of this thread.

Do you guys just read the words or sentences that really pop out at you or something? I pointed out that her political qualifications were being 'smart' enough to stay married to a cheating husband so she could ride his coattails with name recognition into a Senate job with zero previous legislative experience. She was a crappy lawyer who marrie right, then carpetbagged her way into a cushy Senate job just because of her name and husband, rode THAT to a Presidential race and cabinet job and now wants to be President. I guess she did hold office longer than Obama did.

edit: And Newt was a pretty slimy guy. But once again, just because the 'other side did it too' doesn't make it right.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 24, 2015 -> 12:48 AM)
Do you guys just read the words or sentences that really pop out at you or something? I pointed out that her political qualifications were being 'smart' enough to stay married to a cheating husband so she could ride his coattails with name recognition into a Senate job with zero previous legislative experience. She was a crappy lawyer who marrie right, then carpetbagged her way into a cushy Senate job just because of her name and husband, rode THAT to a Presidential race and cabinet job and now wants to be President. I guess she did hold office longer than Obama did.

edit: And Newt was a pretty slimy guy. But once again, just because the 'other side did it too' doesn't make it right.

Hahaha the irony.

also you're massively sexist and it's pretty gross.

secondly, The National Law Journal twice listed her as one of the hundred most influential lawyers in America. Out of curiosity, what political qualifications SHOULD people have prior to running for a public office such as Congress? Just wondering what your criteria are. :D

Fwiw, Robert Kennedy essentially did the same thing, claiming NY as his home even though he was a Bostonian and winning the same U.S. Senate seat she Clinton would eventually claim.

Actually, since she grew up in Illinois, that would have been just as easy to win as NY.

And do we hold it against Obama he didn't become a Hawaiian senator?

And, for that matter, all the Bushes should have run from Maine.

Hilary's qualifications are 5x GW Bush's when he ran.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)
How about lowering the cost of tuition? 6 figure salaries for professors and even higher for admin and some coaches? More admin staff than teachers? Quit trying to figure out how to afford the high prices, figure out how to get the prices down.

While I agree that positions like President of the UM system in Missouri for example is a gross expenditure for ex CEOs who want to build their public resume and suck out millions while performing nothing, I think it would be fantastic for you to look at where colleges spend their money and then get back to me about cutting tuition via teaching staff cutbacks.

Although I do like the slate-pitchiness that alpha hit. Here we are thinking of ways to make college more affordable by tax breaks and public funding. But, boom, there it is: Why don't we just make college cheaper by making it less effective?

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 11:48 PM)

Alpha as always has me typing away.

Let's start with the bold. Here's a big rhetorical hug, hand shake, and high five. I really wish we could stop that.

Now the stuff that I think you are repeating stuff the GOP press uses to attack her.

What evidence do you have that she was a crappy lawyer?

Name recognition has landed a lot of candidates into a lot of positions. In fact in major American politics today, everyone is expected to start there. Also, you really insult American voters. I understand for example that most of the strong hardcore GOP voters on this board are pretty damn smart. For me to say they elected someone based on name recognition is silly. I believe all of us here have similar hopes for America, we just differ in the path to get there. For example starving children, social safety net or let churches, drug testing, and hard work take care of it. Either way no one wants to starve children.

Where to live after leaving the White House. Of course politics came into it. But remember Bill left office a young guy with business and humanitarian projects still on his plate. Settling in NY made sense. Try doing that from Arkansas or Wyoming. World figures tend to live in world cities. They left the White House with her favorable rating higher than his. I believe he was a determent to her campaign which was why, if you recall, he kept a really low profile. She also received accolades from Senators on both sides of the aisle for her hard work as a Senator representing her state.

She then ran a Presidential campaign that had many, many, Americans voting for her. Again, that is an insult to a lot of the voters that they only saw the Clinton name and voted for her. I'm not a big Hillary fan, I was happy Obama received the nomination, but she is not as we say in Texas, all hat and no cattle.