State of the Union

Jenksismyhero

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
Who you work with is HUGE in terms of having a good time at work, wherever that may be. I don't care if you are one of those "ohhhhh, I just looooveeee my job" type of people, if those you work with are a bunch of asshats, that love won't last.

I don't hate my job...but I wouldn't call it a love fest, either. There are a LOT of things I love more than being at work, such as my family, friends, road trips, good restaurants, a vodka martini, fishing, etc...I'd rather be doing those things than while working. But work isn't bad...I don't hate being here, either...but I do it because I'm pretty good at it and I get paid...not because I love it.

Edited for why I spent 30 years in sales and sales management.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Edited for why I spent 30 years in sales and sales management.

Just when I was starting to like you, I find out you once got paid to do those things, and you QUIT to teach?!

:angry:

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
Who you work with is HUGE in terms of having a good time at work, wherever that may be. I don't care if you are one of those "ohhhhh, I just looooveeee my job" type of people, if those you work with are a bunch of asshats, that love won't last.

I don't hate my job...but I wouldn't call it a love fest, either. There are a LOT of things I love more than being at work, such as my family, friends, road trips, good restaurants, a vodka martini, fishing, etc...I'd rather be doing those things than working. But work isn't bad...I don't hate being here, either...but I do it because I'm pretty good at it and I get paid...not because I love it.

Exactly.

I want to be working with people I like, doing work that is at least not bad, making as much money as possible, to get myself to the point financially where I COULD retire (but won't, exactly) as quickly as possible.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
That is the exact advice a fellow educator gave his son who is considering being an archaeologist. Be Phil Collins instead and buy every Alamo artifact worth owning and fill the dream that way. I can't say I disagree.

I don't see how "become a multimillionaire rock star" is more practical than becoming an archaeologist.

Plus, "IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!"

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
Huh... see... I pretty much love my job...

Yes. I get paid to play on the beach.

This is like a Facebook life, where all you see is the glamour, and none of the struggle. Which was kind of my point in the first place.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
This is like a Facebook life, where all you see is the glamour, and none of the struggle. Which was kind of my point in the first place.

Right... But the struggle resulted in a job I love that also allows me to save and build up a retirement portfolio, all while having awesome adventures. Win/win/win.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
Right... But the struggle resulted in a job I love that also allows me to save and build up a retirement portfolio, all while having awesome adventures. Win/win/win.

All while not paying back your student loans in full. Let Uncle Sam pick up that tab, right?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 03:17 PM)
All while not paying back your student loans in full. Let Uncle Sam pick up that tab, right?

As my income goes up, the amount I pay will, in turn, go up.

Not sure what you're getting at here.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
As my income goes up, the amount I pay will, in turn, go up.

Not sure what you're getting at here.

IMO any significant "saving and retirement" money should be going to pay of your loans, if it's a realistic possibility that in 25 years a balance on your loans will be forgiven.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
IMO any significant "saving and retirement" money should be going to pay of your loans, if it's a realistic possibility that in 25 years a balance on your loans will be forgiven.

So I shouldn't take advantage of a program that exists. Instead I should make sure I have less money as I get older. I should act against my own self interest. In other words, I should act like the majority of folks who vote Republican. Got it.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
So I shouldn't take advantage of a program that exists. Instead I should make sure I have less money as I get older. I should act against my own self interest. In other words, I should act like the majority of folks who vote Republican. Got it.

No you should follow the rules, which allow you to do this. However, the rule sucks. If you make money you need to repay the money you borrowed. If you down make money you don't have to repay the money you borrowed. If you have enough money to save for retirement, you should have to pay the money you signed for to borrow. Basically, I'm going to pay for your student loan because you aren't going to pay it.

I don't blame you for taking advantage of it I would to. Unfortunately, I make some money so I'm paying back the loans. I paid 10 years for and undergrad loan and am in the middle of paying 15 for my graduate loans. It's not like I have kids getting ready to go to college or anything that I could put the money towards.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)

You're looking out for yourself. For better or worse that's what you're doing, and no one can tell someone who is doing that that they are wrong. However, this is not what the rule was meant for. If a person is able to put away a significant amount of money then they should not able to take advantage of that program IMO. The program is not meant to pay back what you feel like you want to in order to maximize how much you can have forgiven 25 years later. Because what is forgiven is paid back by everyone else who follows the rules. So like you said, maybe you should act more like those who vote Republican instead of those who tend to vote Liberal.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
On the other hand, wouldn't he also be faulted later on for not properly saving for his own retirement?

Doesn't matter. It is a 10-15 year loan. Pay the money back that you agree to pay back, then you can take the money you were using for the payment and put it toward retirement. You should have at least 20 years or so to save.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
On the other hand, wouldn't he also be faulted later on for not properly saving for his own retirement?

If someone goes to law school and then decides that they don't want to practice law after graduation, they should not be able to just say f*** it to their (presumably) massive loans because they ended up with a much lower than expected paying job and can not afford to keep as much as they initially thought they would. That's obviously an extreme example, but that's why the program, which has great intentions, is a poorly operated one.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
If someone goes to law school and then decides that they don't want to practice law after graduation, they should not be able to just say f*** it to their (presumably) massive loans because they ended up with a much lower than expected paying job and can not afford to keep as much as they initially thought they would. That's obviously an extreme example, but that's why the program, which has great intentions, is a poorly operated one.

Funny you mention that. I know two people in that exact situation, with oh, 200+K in law school debt. Now they don't want to practice law cause they don't like it, etc, and want to do very blah work which won't pay much anything. They'll pay pretty much the minimum while getting the rest forgiven. And by forgiven, I mean, let other people who were responsible pay for it. It is a complete case of people taking advantage of things. The real purpose was to relieve people who really did get in way too over their heads. All this said, the answer shouldn't be, well, we'll just punish everyone who did it right and make them pay more.