top 40 relief pitchers per mlb.com

Whisox05

I don't read anything from mlb.com not written by Jim Callis, and I was quickly reminded why. The writer seemed to favor closers to setup men in his rankings, which is probably why Wade Davis was 25th, but then Batences was a setup men last year and was ranked 5th on his list.

Also, if Fernando Rodney is the 6th best reliever in MLB then I think we could audition random dudes off the street to pitch in the big leagues.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
I don't read anything from mlb.com not written by Jim Callis, and I was quickly reminded why. The writer seemed to favor closers to setup men in his rankings, which is probably why Wade Davis was 25th, but then Batences was a setup men last year and was ranked 5th on his list.

Also, if Fernando Rodney is the 6th best reliever in MLB then I think we could audition random dudes off the street to pitch in the big leagues.

And he didn't even mention Kelvin Herrera

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
The Wade Davis low ranking stood right out to me but he's due to regress a bit so I don't think that's necessarily crazy. It's just the guys opinion on who he thinks the best relievers for 2015 will be.

I don't think he will regress much. He relieved as well in 2012 and was very good in that role. He became elite in 2014 after adding 2 MPH to his fastball, so last year wasn't just an aberration to his usual performance.

If he thinks K-Rod and Soriano, both are currently free agents, and guys like Perkins and Cishek will be better than Davis in 2015, then I don't think his opinion should be published by MLB.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)

Saw and thought the same things

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
40-year-old Joe Nathan who had an ERA of almost 5 last year is better than Zach Duke who had a 2.09 xFIP, 3 more K/9, and 2 less BB/9, while both pitching 58 innings.

Yeah.....no.

But Joe Nathan also had decent peripherals and has a much more heralded career. Prior to last year, Zach Duke was a journeyman swingman who was bordering on AAAA player.

He had Brad Boxberger on his bubble and he was nothing short of filthy last year, with a K/9 of more than 14. Relievers are volatile, and going on guys who've proven it over the last 10-15 years means something, even if they are old and struggled last year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
But Joe Nathan also had decent peripherals and has a much more heralded career. Prior to last year, Zach Duke was a journeyman swingman who was bordering on AAAA player.

He had Brad Boxberger on his bubble and he was nothing short of filthy last year, with a K/9 of more than 14. Relievers are volatile, and going on guys who've proven it over the last 10-15 years means something, even if they are old and struggled last year.

He had decent peripherals? He had a 8.4 K/9 (worst of his career), a 4.5 BB/9 (worst of his career), a 9.3 H/9 (worst of his career), a 1.53 WHIP (worst of his career), and his only decent peripheral was his HR/9, which was 0.8 (career average).

His peripherals were bad, like really bad.

And yes, I get that Zach Duke has only done it for one year, but he also fundamentally changed his pitching mechanics and arm slot. It wasn't that he finally had a lucky season. Not saying Duke deserves to be treated as if 2014 is who he is now, but I can't see how you wouldn't pick him in 2015 over Joe Nathan in 2015 based on last year and their ages.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a K rate in the 8's. It's perfectly decent. His walk rate was a little elevated, and it's a bit troublesome, but it's not "write him off, he's terrible" bad. The WHIP is partially a result of the relatively high walk rate and can also be affected by a poor defense. His groundball rate was perfectly acceptable at 41.6%. He had an abnormally high percentage of runners scoring (with a LOB% of 69.9%).

He's 40 years old, and I don't expect him to stick around forever, but someone considering Joe Nathan to be a better reliever and better bet overall than Zach Duke isn't wrong, nor is it right. It's merely an opinion.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 05:58 PM)
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a K rate in the 8's. It's perfectly decent. His walk rate was a little elevated, and it's a bit troublesome, but it's not "write him off, he's terrible" bad. The WHIP is partially a result of the relatively high walk rate and can also be affected by a poor defense. His groundball rate was perfectly acceptable at 41.6%. He had an abnormally high percentage of runners scoring (with a LOB% of 69.9%).

He's 40 years old, and I don't expect him to stick around forever, but someone considering Joe Nathan to be a better reliever and better bet overall than Zach Duke isn't wrong, nor is it right. It's merely an opinion.

Care to make a wager on who has the better 2015 campaign? Grandpa Joe or Duke of Hurl?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 09:53 PM)
nathan sucks jeez forget sabermetrics just watch him pitch 4 or 5 times in a row. Tigers fans hate him.

True that. If anyone's calculator tells them otherwise, they should get a new calculator, because the one they have is broken.

142 qualified relievers last year. Nathan's ranks:

GB% 96th, K% 82nd, BB% 128th, FIP 114th, SIERA 125th. Of guys who piled saves, his K-rate was one of the lowest; the guys who were lower were either Latroy Hawkins or were explicit groundballers (Zach Britton, Petricka). Plus he's 40.

I'm sticking a fork in him. Any belief that he'll be better than Duke has to be based on the belief that Duke can't sustain his improvements. That's a thought I can understand but I don't share it. I know the article was just a "who's better" thing and didn't factor contracts, but I'd also easily take Duke for 3/$15 over Nathan for 1/$11.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
Care to make a wager on who has the better 2015 campaign? Grandpa Joe or Duke of Hurl?

No, because I don't care and trying to predict who would have a better season between two relievers is like trying to predict heads or tails on a cointoss. Just because one guy thinks Nathan is a better reliever than a guy who has had one good season doesn't make him wrong. That's all I'm saying.