2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

At least they could have had Stanford and OSU in the Rose...and Iowa/ND a more competitive Fiesta. (That said, for Hawk fans waiting 25 years it was completely worth it except for all the travel plans thrown into last minute chaos).

All the experts got fooled by the close MSU victories...and overlooked the Nebaska loss.

Iowa blew out NW that defeated Stanford inexplicably but most of their games were down to the last possession...and of course not playing Michigan, MSU and OSU during the regular season along with the weaker/rebuilding western teams in the conference.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
He buried the crown of his helmet in the QBs sternum. It was the correct call. As it was, the hit wasn't all that violent, and 100 things happen every game that would seem to warrant an ejection more than that, but how ever many times you want to moan about it, according to the rules, it was the correct call.

Huh? I just said I wish we had those refs since they let the exact same play go. Would have been nice to see more than 5 minutes of one of the best to ever put on the jersey before he left.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 08:05 AM)
Or OSU could have just won the home game vs. MSU and their back up QB. I always thought OSU was the best team in the country. But they let a lot of mediocre opponents stay with them for a while this year. They finally kicked it into gear after they lost. If they played like that against MSU, they probably win the national championship again. But they didn't. They only have themselves to blame.

They didn't kick it into high gear, they completely changed OC's and moved him into the booth. It was a coaching blunder not an effort blunder.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 08:12 AM)
Huh? I just said I wish we had those refs since they let the exact same play go. Would have been nice to see more than 5 minutes of one of the best to ever put on the jersey before he left.

And the announcers said that he should have gotten penalized for the exact same play.

They are not going to call it every time, every game.

Get over it.

Just brutal bowl season capped by Iowa getting embarrassed

I still don't get why the committee thought Iowa deserved to be ranked ahead of Ohio State. Both lost by 3 points to the same team, but OSU had more good wins and was clearly the better team.

OSU-Stanford and Iowa-ND would have produced far better games than what we got.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)

Oddly those were Big Ten refs in the game which you speak.

Bosa should have been flagged but not kicked out of the game. It was a penalty but not worthy of an ejection.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
I still don't get why the committee thought Iowa deserved to be ranked ahead of Ohio State. Both lost by 3 points to the same team, but OSU had more good wins and was clearly the better team.

OSU-Stanford and Iowa-ND would have produced far better games than what we got.

They didn't drop Iowa because they actually put up a fight in the BIG title game vs what people thought would happen. That's the gist of what they said. Everyone thought OSU would beat MSU at home and since they didn't they dropped them down.

Stanford will also finish ranked higher than OSU even with two worse losses.

Edited by RockRaines

They didn't drop Iowa because they actually put up a fight in the BIG title game vs what people thought would happen. That's the gist of what they said. Everyone thought OSU would beat MSU at home and since they didn't they dropped them down.

Stanford will also finish ranked higher than OSU even with two worse losses.

You're not supposed to compare teams to their own expectations. You're supposed to compare them to each other. The two best non-playoff teams were Stanford and OSU. That should have been obvious to everybody. ND, Iowa and Michigan were a tier below those two.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
You're not supposed to compare teams to their own expectations. You're supposed to compare them to each other. The two best non-playoff teams were Stanford and OSU. That should have been obvious to everybody. ND, Iowa and Michigan were a tier below those two.

I guess that's the human factor. They literally came out and said iowa putting on a close game vs expectations made the room adamant about not dropping them in the rankings. It will take them a few years to get it right. If the Michigan Punter didnt drop that ball or OSU doesnt turtle in that weather and we may have OSU vs Bama for the title which would have been a goldmine. Eventually these frustrations will make it go to 8 teams.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
I guess that's the human factor. They literally came out and said iowa putting on a close game vs expectations made the room adamant about not dropping them in the rankings. It will take them a few years to get it right. If the Michigan Punter didnt drop that ball or OSU doesnt turtle in that weather and we may have OSU vs Bama for the title which would have been a goldmine. Eventually these frustrations will make it go to 8 teams.

While the Michigan was pure luck, Michigan State was right where they should have been. They got screwed at Nebraska.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
While the Michigan was pure luck, Michigan State was right where they should have been. They got screwed at Nebraska.

No doubt but they actually got the benefit of the same no call as well on that exact same play.

Due to a difference in class schedules, Alabama will have more practice time than Clemson leading up to the championship game.

That happened last year with OSU and Oregon. Before your Spring Semester/January Term begins, there is no limit on practice time. Once it begins, you are limited to 4 hours per day and 20 hours per week.

Used to never be a problem because the latest bowls were Jan 2, but now with the Championship game Jan 8 or later, it's going to become more of an issue.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
So who hasn't decided yet? Bell, Marshall and Thomas?

Marshall just did. The other two will come tomorrow most likely. Luckily every starter is being replaced with a redshirted or older four or five star player. Spring football will be fun

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
I can't tweet from work but Bruce Feldman just tweeted this: Mike Leach's 2000 Texas Tech Staff: Art Briles, Dana Holgorsen, Sonny Dykes, Dava Aranda, Chance Ruffin, Kliff Kingsbury, Sonny Cumbie, R. Anae, and Clay McGuire. That's nuts.

That coaching tree is growing too, Holgorsen had several guys like the OC at TAM under him after that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
Desmond King coming back for his senior year at Iowa. His mom wants him to be the first graduate of the family. Now if Drew Ott can somehow get a medical redshirt, Iowa may be pissing off Cowherd again next season.

Wow. No reason why he couldnt go pro and get his degree in the offseason. Dangerous game hes playing there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
Desmond King coming back for his senior year at Iowa. His mom wants him to be the first graduate of the family. Now if Drew Ott can somehow get a medical redshirt, Iowa may be pissing off Cowherd again next season.

I hope he doesn't get hurt.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)

I wish he would go pro. Love him ad his performance, but take the money. A lot can happen. I'm sure he'll get insurance, etc, but just take the opportunity and study in the off-season and wrap up in another few years. You can still reach that accomplishment while going pro and getting your payday now.

I hope he kicks butt and keeps his stock where it is (if not pushes it higher).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
I wish he would go pro. Love him ad his performance, but take the money. A lot can happen. I'm sure he'll get insurance, etc, but just take the opportunity and study in the off-season and wrap up in another few years. You can still reach that accomplishment while going pro and getting your payday now.

I hope he kicks butt and keeps his stock where it is (if not pushes it higher).

Spot on, the odds of his stock getting higher arent that great. These kids can go back to school for free anytime they want. If you can go, go.