2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 08:43 AM)
Not even close to a top 10 job. It's a terrible job. Bad facilities. No money. Alongside Texas, the craziest fans in the sport who will eat you alive...except unlike Texas they don't spend money on the program or even go to the games. It's under a NCAA microscope. What once made it a strong program is now gone. You'll still get some nice recruits but Florida is recruited 100x higher now by everyone then it was in Miami's heyday.

They do have a strong alumni network. So if they are able to hire inside that they can get a decent coach. But we'll see.

NFL pipeline, surrounded by talent, even with a brain dead coach still recruit better than successful programs. Miami still pulls in plenty of local talent as a lot of those kids stay home. If they hire a halfway decent coach its automatic top ten classes with little effort.

Its still a top program, even when its down.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
They have terrible facilities but if you can recruit from that area, it's a very good job still. I think Mario Cristobol gets that gig and does a great job. Rock, where do you think Les Miles ends up? That situation fascinates me.

Its definitely an arms race for facilities, but they only get you so far. Nebraska has top tier facilities for almost every sport and you would never list that above Miami as a job.

I dont think Les Miles goes anywhere to be honest, but I really dont pay attention to that situation.

I know Texas is going to take a "run" at Saban, but its Tom Herman's spot IMO. Saban's dirty laundry would be on full view if he left the good ol boys network in AL. I know Chris Ash will be interviewing for a head coaching job soon so I wouldnt be surprised to see him pop up somewhere middle tier.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
Rebuilding a former powerhouse is more enticing than building a never was powerhouse.

To be fair, they were pretty dominant in the 20's, otherwise known the decade after Michigan's heyday ;)

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 08:07 AM)
Miami is in a relatively weak conference. You could go to Miami and conceivably win a conference championship within 5-10 years. That isn't happening at Illinois.

This isn't saying anything about Illinois relative to Miami, but you really underestimate how bad the B1G west is.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
This isn't saying anything about Illinois relative to Miami, but you really underestimate how bad the B1G west is.

And Illinois is not the bell cow program in a horrific division. I dont see how that makes it more appealing.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
And Illinois is not the bell cow program in a horrific division. I dont see how that makes it more appealing.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)

It's not more appealing than Miami, IMO. I do think a decent coach can come in and win a lot of games in the B1G west right now, though. Whether or not Illinois could even find and attract one is another story...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
Miami is a national name and a recent power, they are also in south florida aka the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Illinois is a middle of the road Big Ten team with almost no chance to win a national title.

"Middle of the road" is being kind.

They're easily in the bottom 5.

Ohio State

Michigan State

Michigan

Iowa

Penn State

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Northwestern

Indiana

Illinois

Maryland

Purdue

Minnesota

Rutgers

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
It's not more appealing than Miami, IMO. I do think a decent coach can come in and win a lot of games in the B1G west right now, though. Whether or not Illinois could even find and attract one is another story...

Tom Herman was a big miss IMO, they should have thrown coin at him.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)

Ohio State

Michigan State

Michigan

Iowa

Penn State

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Northwestern

Indiana

Illinois

Maryland

Purdue

Minnesota

Rutgers

Minny has had some success though, I would move them up and move down IU and Maryland if we are talking about program strength. NW is up right now but I still have them below ILL.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 08:51 AM)
I know Texas is going to take a "run" at Saban, but its Tom Herman's spot IMO. Saban's dirty laundry would be on full view if he left the good ol boys network in AL.

Yeah, UT doesn't have that atmosphere at all.

Ohio State

Michigan State

Michigan

Iowa

Penn State

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Northwestern

Indiana

Illinois

Maryland

Purdue

Minnesota

Rutgers

Top: OSU, UM, MSU, Wis

Middle: PSU, Neb, Iowa, Minn, NW

Bottom: UI, Rut, IU, Md, Pur

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
Northwestern and Minnesota have hit their ceilings, but I think Illinois is the more attractive job then those given they do have a higher ceiling comparatively.

Surprisingly enough, Minny's run of national dominance came in the decade after Illinois'