2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
I think any conference should like a texas team. They provide reach into a huge recruiting market and add a lot of money.

Yes but the Big 12 already has 4 Texas schools. Theres no real recruiting or market expansion there. Those schools typically don't want more in state schools to be added to their conference. And in 2015, when the $$$$ is in tv market expansion, whether it's your own networks or not, I'd be surprised if they wanted them. Central Florida makes the most sense to me. Largest school in the country and good for the reasons you listed.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you were wondering if Illinois football situation could become a bigger dumpster fire, the answer is of course yes! Here's our moron chancellor admitting Cubit is an interim coach:

"We hire a permanent AD, and that permanent AD makes decisions about coaches."

God, at least pretend he's the actual coach so you don't bury this program farther than you already have.

Also she hasn't bothered starting looking for the AD yet, in case you were wondering.

Why would Big 12 want another Texas team?

The Big 12 needs to get back up to 12 with the two best programs they can get. Houston is a good get. Also, Houston is a big market whose 3 closest schools (Houston, Rice, A&M) are all not currently in the Big 12, so it would help that market. Yes, there are UT fans all over the state, but there are a lot of Houston and A&M fans in Houston so getting Houston makes even more sense with A&M gone.

Yes but the Big 12 already has 4 Texas schools. Theres no real recruiting or market expansion there. Those schools typically don't want more in state schools to be added to their conference. And in 2015, when the $$$$ is in tv market expansion, whether it's your own networks or not, I'd be surprised if they wanted them. Central Florida makes the most sense to me. Largest school in the country and good for the reasons you listed.

Central Florida just went 0-12. Not the time to pick them up.

More very real quotes from Illinois on hiring Cubit.

While Illinois has a 5-7 record this season under Cubit, Killeen said it's not "anything to be fundamentally ashamed of. Of course, we want to win the Big Ten."

"I would make the case that the team has been competitive in all the games that I've watched," including Saturday's loss to Northwestern, he said.

Oh my god, just stop talking.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
Central Florida just went 0-12. Not the time to pick them up.

They did win 31 games the previous three seasons. Big 12 not only needs a championship game, but they need some revenue streams to keep up with the other 4 conferences. Teams will line up to join a big conference so it should be a lot more complicated then just, we'll that team had the most wins this year.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)

Yikes, yea they need to just shut up and get out of the spotlight. Oh, and hire an AD.

They did win 31 games the previous three seasons. Big 12 not only needs a championship game, but they need some revenue streams to keep up with the other 4 conferences. Teams will line up to join a big conference so it should be a lot more complicated then just, we'll that team had the most wins this year.

I agree it shoudn't be just about wins this year, but if you're 0-12 your program is in rough shape. You just can't pick up an 0-12 team. Even if they had gone 4-8 you could have justified taking them given the past 3 seasons.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
Well reports of Babers to UCF really were premature. Scott Frost is the new HC at Central Florida. I wonder if Babers and Fleck both turned down Illinois through back-channels?

Fleck contacted Illinois himself to inquire about the job. He is desperate for it. I don't know about Babers. The person in charge of the hire, using her quotes here, "still learning" about the process. The Interim AD, the only one who might know anything about the process, had no say in this at all. They still have not started searching for a permanent AD which is just incompetence of epic proportions. The whole thing is just a disaster.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)
Fleck contacted Illinois himself to inquire about the job. He is desperate for it. I don't know about Babers. The person in charge of the hire, using her quotes here, "still learning" about the process. The Interim AD, the only one who might know anything about the process, had no say in this at all. They still have not started searching for a permanent AD which is just incompetence of epic proportions. The whole thing is just a disaster.

Yikes.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)

I would respect the both of them a lot more if they just came out and admitted they don't care. Instead, they just make us all look like fools by saying their cringe worthy statements. That entire article was filled with incompetence and empty buzz words.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
1. Clemson

2. Alabama

3. Oklahoma

4. Iowa

5. Michigan State

6. Ohio State

7. Stanford

10. North Carolina

18. Florida

Alabama now has two top 25 wins (21. LSU and 25. Tennessee )

LOL at Tenn at 25. At least thats a good way to justify Bama at #2 for them.

Clearly the Big Ten is the best conference in America.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 05:08 PM)
The Big Ten is the best conference in the country right now, at least judging by rankings.

I was referring to last year. This year it's better, but also a lot of other leagues are down. SEC and Pac 12 are way down. Big 12 has some strong teams, if you decide to believe in them.

I was referring to last year. This year it's better, but also a lot of other leagues are down. SEC and Pac 12 are way down. Big 12 has some strong teams, if you decide to believe in them.

The overall quality of college football is down this year. Notre Dame is #8 and 4 points away from being #1 with a really bad defense. Clemson and likely MSU are headed to the playoffs with fairly weak offenses.

But yeah, the BIG is the best conference this year. Indiana doesn't go 2-6 in any other conference.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:29 AM)
The overall quality of college football is down this year. Notre Dame is #8 and 4 points away from being #1 with a really bad defense. Clemson and likely MSU are headed to the playoffs with fairly weak offenses.

But yeah, the BIG is the best conference this year. Indiana doesn't go 2-6 in any other conference.

Boy if Clemon's offense is weak what is strong? Their run defense is one of the worst around.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
LOL at Tenn at 25. At least thats a good way to justify Bama at #2 for them.

Tennessee's 4 losses are by a combined 17 points. They're a couple plays away from being 10-2 or 11-1, I don't have a problem with where they are.

Boy if Clemon's offense is weak what is strong? Their run defense is one of the worst around.

Strong offenses: Oklahoma, ND, Baylor, North Carolina, Oregon, Stanford, Mississippi.

Notre Dame needs to find a few offensive guys that can play defense. They could switch over 2-3 guys and still not miss a beat on offense. I think Hunter might make the switch. Maybe one of the younger OL guys could move as well.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Tennessee's 4 losses are by a combined 17 points. They're a couple plays away from being 10-2 or 11-1, I don't have a problem with where they are.

Have you factored their close wins into your formula?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Strong offenses: Oklahoma, ND, Baylor, North Carolina, Oregon, Stanford, Mississippi.

Notre Dame needs to find a few offensive guys that can play defense. They could switch over 2-3 guys and still not miss a beat on offense. I think Hunter might make the switch. Maybe one of the younger OL guys could move as well.

I meant what is strong about Clemson then if their offense is weak.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)

Yep, with two of those losses being to Bama and Oklahoma and another being a 1 point loss to Florida before the Will Grier suspension. Having them ranked 25 isn't crazy.