2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 06:50 PM)
Completely disagree with about everything in your post. OSU last year is definitely better than this MSU team but Bama is much much worse.

I never said Bama is better. They absolutely have been better on D this year and their secondary has been much less susceptible to big plays.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
MSU hasn't impressed me all year, I think Bama wins by 10.

If Conor Cook is healthy, I think they have a chance if they can make some big plays in the passing game. But I don't see them having a chance trying to beat Bama with this new smash mouth football they have had to play.

I have no f***ing idea about Clemson/Oklahoma right now. I'm still kind of shocked one of those two will be in the NC game.

My final rankings would have been:

1 Clemson

2 Michigan St

3 Oklahoma

4 Alabama

5 Stanford

6 Ohio State

7 Iowa

8 Notre Dame

9 Florida State

10 TCU

11 Mississippi

12 North Carolina

13 Michigan

14 Oregon

15 Northwestern

16 Oklahoma State

17 Houston

18 Baylor

19 LSU

20 Florida

21 Navy

22 Tennessee

23 Utah

24 USC

25 Temple

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:18 AM)
MSU is a bad matchup for Alabama. MSU's achilles heel is pass defense and Alabama hasn't shown a consistent passing game. Also, MSU has a good passing game that can target the weakest (relatively speaking) part of Bama's defense.

I think Oklahoma is a bad matchup. Bama has trouble with spread teams. They'll handle Michigan State

BIG Bowls (early predictions)

12/26 Pinstripe Bowl: Indiana vs Duke (W)

12/26 Foster Farms Bowl: Nebraska vs UCLA (L)

12/28 Quck Lan Bowl: Minnesota vs Central Michigan (L)

12/30 Holiday Bowl: Wisconsin vs USC (L)

12/31 Cotton Bowl/Playoff: Michigan St vs Alabama (W)

1/1 Outback Bowl: Northwestern vs Tennessee (W)

1/1 Citrus Bowl: Michigan vs Florida (W)

1/1 Fiesta Bowl: Ohio St vs Notre Dame (L)

1/1 Rose Bowl: Iowa vs Stanford (L)

1/2 Taxslayer Bowl: Penn State vs Georgia (L)

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 11:10 PM)
Also, Gus Johnson is f***ing awful. Just atrocious. I still can't believe people like this guy.

I enjoy him for college basketball. The problem is that networks are trying to overextend him to other events that he is just not right for. And it is painfully obvious to all the audience.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
The official in Clemson game could have cost big $20m as I think OSU and msu go to play in playoff and Iowa to rose. That guy better be fired.

Yes, it was a terrible call but UNC still would have needed to 60 yards in a minute, score a TD, get the 2Pt conversion and then win in OT. Lots of work to do still.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
Fixed

Kind of agree. Stanford's dismantling of USC coupled with the fact that last year OSU got in over Baylor because of the conference title thing leads me to believe the same would have happened. Stanford is probably a top 4 team in the country right now based on how they're playing, but they rightfully are on the outside because of the 2 losses.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)
Completely disagree with about everything in your post. OSU last year is definitely better than this MSU team but Bama is much much worse.

Then Bama being favored by 9 points should be an easy bet for you.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
My final rankings would have been:

1 Clemson

2 Michigan St

3 Oklahoma

4 Alabama

5 Stanford

6 Ohio State

7 Iowa

8 Notre Dame

9 Florida State

10 TCU

11 Mississippi

12 North Carolina

13 Michigan

14 Oregon

15 Northwestern

16 Oklahoma State

17 Houston

18 Baylor

19 LSU

20 Florida

21 Navy

22 Tennessee

23 Utah

24 USC

25 Temple

They moved some of them around for bowl purposes IMO.

Yep and if they had same record I would agree Michigan should be higher.

Their records are only one game difference and NW did not have to play OSU or MSU. Plus, their head to head game wasn't even close.

I am also of the philosophy that as loss totals increase, records become less important in comparisons. Zero vs one loss - major importance, one vs two losses - high importance, beyond that, much less important.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
Their records are only one game difference and NW did not have to play OSU or MSU. Plus, their head to head game wasn't even close.

I am also of the philosophy that as loss totals increase, records become less important in comparisons. Zero vs one loss - major importance, one vs two losses - high importance, beyond that, much less important.

I agree, people in general are way too married to W-L records. Having one fewer loss doesn't mean you're automatically more deserving.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)

Losses are always important, however there are secondary statistics that take into account the divisions these guys play in etc. S&P, F/+, all favor Michigan by quite a bit and its not even close.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)
Just realized something about next season. The four best teams on ND's schedule [based on this year's rankings] (MSU, Stanford, Navy, USC) are all losing their quarterbacks. If next year isn't ND's year, it may never be.

Miami will have the best QB they face