2015 College Baseball Thread

daa84

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am stunned the Titans ended up hosting their regional and getting the top seed in their regional. Had a strong finish (similar to last year). Hopefully unlike last year, they can keep riding their hot streak to a title!!!

Unless you have a scheduling conflict with your home stadium, those two things are a package deal. The top seeds all get to host.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 26, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
Unless you have a scheduling conflict with your home stadium, those two things are a package deal. The top seeds all get to host.

Actually the top seeds don't always host. There are certain requirements necessary to host and sometimes the top seed doesn't meet those requirements. It isn't just scheduling. For example, look at where the Santa Barbara regional is being played (Lake Elsinore, Ca, which is nowhere close to Santa Barbara). IIRC, the discrepancies tend to happen more with super regionals then with regionals.

Actually the top seeds don't always host. There are certain requirements necessary to host and sometimes the top seed doesn't meet those requirements. It isn't just scheduling. For example, look at where the Santa Barbara regional is being played (Lake Elsinore, Ca, which is nowhere close to Santa Barbara). IIRC, the discrepancies tend to happen more with super regionals then with regionals.

I guess I should have included facility specifications along with scheduling as reasons that the top seed doesn't play at home. Still, my point is that the NCAA does not arbitrarily award regionals to teams other than the top seed.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 26, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
I guess I should have included facility specifications along with scheduling as reasons that the top seed doesn't play at home. Still, my point is that the NCAA does not arbitrarily award regionals to teams other than the top seed.

I've been to games too where Fullerton has benefited (a lot of the schools on the west coast struggled to meet those requirements and Fullerton has benefited from this in the past). However, RPI outside of the top 20 and to get the top seed was fantastic for Titans. Nice late season push. They were looking much more like a 2 or even more likely a 3 seed about a month ago.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)

2010, the NCAA gave UCONN a regional but Florida St was the top seed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Div...ball_Tournament

2008, the NCAA gave Michigan a regional but Arizona was the top seed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Div...ball_Tournament

I knew those two off the top of my head. I'm curious if it happened more in the past.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
I am stunned the Titans ended up hosting their regional and getting the top seed in their regional. Had a strong finish (similar to last year). Hopefully unlike last year, they can keep riding their hot streak to a title!!!

yeah...as of a month ago I thought there was no way in hell they'd even make the post season. Now one of the hottest teams. Play ASU today with Lilek on the hill. We'll see which Lilek shows up today and if the ASU bats can carry their late inning mo over from yesterday.

Hartleb is just a terrible strategic manager. He has clearly done a great job with scouting and player development for Illinois but hitting his best hitter 7th and his use of Tyler Jay this year is just awful. I was hoping come tourney time he would use Jay appropriately and bring him as early as needed to but today is showing that isn't the case.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
So Illinois vs. Vanderbilt Friday. Illinois is good enough to win that series but it is going to be a really tough task.

illinois definitely good enough to win. when you can pitch, you always have a chance. Vandy is rolling right now, up 16-0 on Radford in the 5th inning. Had a really nice SEC tourney, bats really coming alive. Couldn't beat a really good Florida team in the championship. Vandy had a ridiculously easy regional, especially for a team that isn't a national seed. I'm working all weekend, otherwise would also try to make the drive

vandy now up 20-0. 14 outs, 20 runs. getting hard to watch for Radford, who clearly had no business being a 2 seed

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
vandy now up 20-0. 14 outs, 20 runs. getting hard to watch for Radford, who clearly had no business being a 2 seed

as bad as that is, it still amazes me the epic beatdown FSU put on Ohio St a few years ago. 37-6 is just crazy talk.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 08:47 PM)
horrendous call goes against Illinois on the run down. Kendall initiated the contact to draw the interference and got away with it

Wouldn't have mattered since Duchene was awful tonight but man are college umps just brutal. Illinois needs to start Jay tomorrow and hope he shuts down Vandy and then basically pray for a a miracle on Monday.

Illinois has to start Jay. Can't risk having your star not pitch a single meaningful inning. Will be interesting to see if Corbin sticks with his rotation and pitches Pfeiffer (which is what I think he will do) or moves Buehler up

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 03:16 AM)
Duchene looked f***ing terrible vs Ohio too. He's not good or extremely nervous.

even thou he was going against Fulmer, i really expected to see more positive results than how he did. with this results, he might drop even further in the draft.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)
Duchene looked f***ing terrible vs Ohio too. He's not good or extremely nervous.

His command has been really bad in the tournament and he has always been a guy who relies on control and has never had issues with that so he's likely either hurt or going through a dead arm period or he let the moment get the better of him. Either way the last couple of games will probably drop his draft stock. I had seen people thinking he could go as high as the 3rd round but I don't see it.

Game gets moved from 8 to 5 because of possibility of rain at 8. Hasn't been raining for past 45 minutes, but still haven't started. Illinois clearly trying to avoid playing this game at all tonight. Methinks they don't want to start Jay and risk losing him after just 2 innings to rain

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 10:44 PM)
Game gets moved from 8 to 5 because of possibility of rain at 8. Hasn't been raining for past 45 minutes, but still haven't started. Illinois clearly trying to avoid playing this game at all tonight. Methinks they don't want to start Jay and risk losing him after just 2 innings to rain

They said it was decision of NCAA not to start