Derrick Rose to have surgery on Torn Right Meniscus

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
I agree with most everything you said, however, I've long pointed to 2016 as the year Rose regains his all star status (and that is still in reach if he can come back and play this season, imo). I think the worst thing for him would be not getting back this season and having a long off-season. If he comes back and plays this season, he can have a normal off-season, played in at least a decent chunk of this season, playoffs, etc, and be in a position to move forward in 16.

The piece I don't understand is how is Rose's injury a nail in Thibbs tenure? What did Tom do to drive or lead to this injury. The Bulls and Rose couldn't have been more conservative with Rose (since his initial injury) and this is what has happened. How can a finger for any of these more recent injuries be put in Thibbs direction? Rose isn't playing heavy minutes. In fact, he's largely been babied since his first injury. I'd argue he might have been better off had they pushed things more (look at Westbrook).

All this said, lets not forget that the reinjury of the meniscus is relatively common and not overly serious (look at Westbrook). If you want hope, you at least have Westbrook to look at. He's better than ever.

Ha, you read my mind.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
This is his third knee injury. I have no doubt he will come back and play. But the Derrick Rose of MVPness is dead. Heck the All-Star Derrick Rose should have dirt thrown on his grave as well. Now he is just overpaid Derrick Rose.

Let's just hope Reggie didn't spend all of Derrick's money on SAT study guides.

Eh, I'd call it 2 and a half. This is a common re-injury on a meniscus repair surgery. If he had torn is ACL on that knee, in addition to his other ACL tear, sure, i'd call him done. But in reality he's had one ACL tear (with no other issues) and one MCL tear with a complication. Seeing how Westbrook has looked this year after the same re-injury/complication, i.e. better than ever, I'm not ready to close the book on Rose. I think the Bulls should move forward as if he's just a nice piece and not the franchise player, but that doesn't mean Rose can't get back to that level.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
So the decision to treat the injury by sitting out last year did nothing but waste six months of basketball for the Bulls.

It was a long-term decision. If he was 32 with an MCL, at that point you cut it and try to get another couple years out of him. He's what, 25? Still a lot of potential basketball left in him.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
Poster on RealGM that has been shown to have sources in the past saying 3 weeks minimum, 8 weeks max.

Take it with a grain of salt, but pleeeease let it be true.

I think he'll be back this season. Though, it'll be extremely close. Guess we'll know more over the weekend.

KC pointed out the most important thing: K.C. Johnson @KCJHoop · 11h 11 hours ago

What's unquantifiable, of course, is the mental aspect to Rose's third knee surgery and the ability to trust the body again.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
Steve seems to be making a bunch of assumptions on the media's perception of Rose. The news out this morning is very positive. It seems inevitable that he will get the meniscus removed as from what I've read, it's standard operating procedure after a retear.

I am sure April will either suck or suck really bad.

I took my quote from an ESPN article, so blame them if they're wrong.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Eh, I'd call it 2 and a half. This is a common re-injury on a meniscus repair surgery. If he had torn is ACL on that knee, in addition to his other ACL tear, sure, i'd call him done. But in reality he's had one ACL tear (with no other issues) and one MCL tear with a complication. Seeing how Westbrook has looked this year after the same re-injury/complication, i.e. better than ever, I'm not ready to close the book on Rose. I think the Bulls should move forward as if he's just a nice piece and not the franchise player, but that doesn't mean Rose can't get back to that level.

This Bulls team has a window that's cracked slightly open for this season. That window is closing quickly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
The piece I don't understand is how is Rose's injury a nail in Thibbs tenure? What did Tom do to drive or lead to this injury. The Bulls and Rose couldn't have been more conservative with Rose (since his initial injury) and this is what has happened. How can a finger for any of these more recent injuries be put in Thibbs direction? Rose isn't playing heavy minutes. In fact, he's largely been babied since his first injury. I'd argue he might have been better off had they pushed things more (look at Westbrook).

I'm not saying it SHOULD be the end of Thibs tenure, I just think it will be the end of his time with the Bulls. I think the discord between Gar/Pax and Thibs has been palpable the entire season. I think they would've fired him even if Derrick didn't get hurt and the team petered out in the second round. They don't want to work with him anymore. They can't control him.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)
Thibs was rumored to be gone after this season, barring enough public pressure to bring him back. Meaning he had to get the Bulls to the Finals... or win them... No DROSE, No Finals... HE GONE

I don't buy it. We have overachieved in EVERY season Thibs was here, given the deck of cards he had to work with. He is also excellent at developing young talents, oddly enough. He shouldn't be replaced because of our lack of success, he should be replaced if there is a better replacement out there.

Going into next season we can't bank on competing on the condition that Rose would stay healthy again, that would be throwing the season away. We ABSOLUTELY need another starter caliber point guard.

I am looking at Brandon Jennings to be that guy, who's coming back from an Achilles injury himself. But he has developed into a solid starting point guard and is excellent at running the pick and roll. He will be a good fit next to Gasol and Jimmy. Since Detroit now has Reggie Jackson at the point, I think Jennings could be had for Taj, and he could easily play 25-30 minutes a game on this team, whether or not Rose is healthy.

Rose/Jennings/Hinrich

Butler/Rose/Hinrich

Snell/Doug/FA signing

Gasol/Niko/1st rounder

Noah/FA signing/1st rounder

I think this team is good enough to reach the ECF with or without Rose.

People in this city act like Tom Thibodeau has won multiple championships. When is the last time that a young player emerged on this team that wasn't caused by an injury? Thibs is a great coach but there are plenty of reasons why he was an assistant for 20 years. This will be his last season with the Bulls.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
People in this city act like Tom Thibodeau has won multiple championships. When is the last time that a young player emerged on this team that wasn't caused by an injury? Thibs is a great coach but there are plenty of reasons why he was an assistant for 20 years. This will be his last season with the Bulls.

Did I just imagine Jimmy Butler? The growth of both Snell and Mirotic this year?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
Going into next season we can't bank on competing on the condition that Rose would stay healthy again, that would be throwing the season away. We ABSOLUTELY need another starter caliber point guard.

I am looking at Brandon Jennings to be that guy, who's coming back from an Achilles injury himself. But he has developed into a solid starting point guard and is excellent at running the pick and roll. He will be a good fit next to Gasol and Jimmy. Since Detroit now has Reggie Jackson at the point, I think Jennings could be had for Taj, and he could easily play 25-30 minutes a game on this team, whether or not Rose is healthy.

Rose/Jennings/Hinrich

Butler/Rose/Hinrich

Snell/Doug/FA signing

Gasol/Niko/1st rounder

Noah/FA signing/1st rounder

I think this team is good enough to reach the ECF with or without Rose.

i totally respect your knowledge of basketball but Jennings is a f***ing nutjob me-first chucker that i want no part of.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)

Right, because all Thibs did was give young players a chance to play.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
I don't buy it. We have overachieved in EVERY season Thibs was here, given the deck of cards he had to work with. He is also excellent at developing young talents, oddly enough. He shouldn't be replaced because of our lack of success, he should be replaced if there is a better replacement out there.

He wouldn't be replaced because of performance. he would be replaced because of the relationship with Gar\Pax.

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
i totally respect your knowledge of basketball but Jennings is a f***ing nutjob me-first chucker that i want no part of.

People have said that about Westbrook, Aaron Brooks, to a lesser extent the 2015 Rose, and Rondo being a me first guy who doesn't pass unless there's an assist. Jennings has the skills and court vision to be a passing point guard and he's among league leaders in assists per 40 minutes this season. I think he has bought into to team basketball after he got to Detroit. Playing on a contending team would also help keep him in check.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
Did I just imagine Jimmy Butler? The growth of both Snell and Mirotic this year?

Butler only got extended minutes when Deng was out and then traded. Snell has only played because of injuries to Hinrich. The only way that Mirotic plays enough in when Taj or someone is injured or out. McDermott doesn't play at all. It's ridiculous.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 08:11 PM)

I've always felt like Jarrett Jack is the perfect back-up for Rose. He's good enough that he can start and not completely kill your chances, and he can guard both positions if needed.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
He wouldn't be replaced because of performance. he would be replaced because of the relationship with Gar\Pax.

He still has 2 years left on his contract IIRC. The Gar thing isn't anything new. To my understanding his relationship with Pax is fine.