Derrick Rose to have surgery on Torn Right Meniscus

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
Butler only got extended minutes when Deng was out and then traded. Snell has only played because of injuries to Hinrich. The only way that Mirotic plays enough in when Taj or someone is injured or out. McDermott doesn't play at all. It's ridiculous.

Yet when it was time for them to play, they are all ready to go. Jimmy Butler is a freaking all star, after taking over for an all-star in Luol Deng.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 08:29 PM)
He still has 2 years left on his contract IIRC. The Gar thing isn't anything new. To my understanding his relationship with Pax is fine.

I haven't heard a single "expert" on the radio that thinks Thibs is back next year. This was before the Rose injury.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Yet when it was time for them to play, they are all ready to go. Jimmy Butler is a freaking all star, after taking over for an all-star in Luol Deng.

Very true. But they should be playing before they are eventually "forced" into action. It is well known that Tom grinds his players to dust to win regular season basketball games. Snell should have had more minutes long before the recent stretch. Mirotic should play more and McDermott should be playing too. I'm pretty sure Gar/Pax didn't trade 2 first rounders for McDermott so that he could take a redshirt year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
I'm waiting for your response.

When you make a stupid response, you need to back it up, not us. Here, this took 4 minutes:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/butleji01.html

Strange...Deng didn't get traded until 2014, yet Butler averaged 28 mpg in 2012-2013? Hmm, http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gibsota01.html

Why is Taj playing 22 MPG with veteran Boozer ahead of him?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
You're saying all Thibs did was give young players a chance to play when the other player goes out, as if he has done nothing else to develop those players.

He definitely is a big part as to why they are developed. The fact that they were good picks and the players worked hard as well gets lost though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
This is his third knee injury. I have no doubt he will come back and play. But the Derrick Rose of MVPness is dead. Heck the All-Star Derrick Rose should have dirt thrown on his grave as well. Now he is just overpaid Derrick Rose.

Let's just hope Reggie didn't spend all of Derrick's money on SAT study guides.

Westbrook had the same series of injuries (in fact, Westbrook had 4 injuries in theory...ACL and 3 different meniscus surgeries).

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
Let's also ignore the 4-5 scrap heap PGs Thibs has spun off, that have gone on to get paid by other teams.

I'm not ignoring that. I just didn't bring that up. Thibs is a great coach. Probably one of the 5 best in basketball but the man definitely has flaws. And those flaws + his relationship with management are the reasons why he won't be coaching in Chicago next year. Many in this town treat him like a deity when he's never won anything. That's my point.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
Very true. But they should be playing before they are eventually "forced" into action. It is well known that Tom grinds his players to dust to win regular season basketball games. Snell should have had more minutes long before the recent stretch. Mirotic should play more and McDermott should be playing too. I'm pretty sure Gar/Pax didn't trade 2 first rounders for McDermott so that he could take a redshirt year.

So much of this has become basically a meme. These guys play as much as they demonstrate they should be playing. Watching Douggie play this year, I can't see how anyone could realistically argue he should be playing more for a team that is fighting for a high playoff spot, or was until last night. Mirtotic is still developing an offensive game, but is a terrible on-ball defender at this point. There are so many situations he still hurts you in as well. Thibs finds spots for him when he can, but he isn't ready to be a 30-40 minute a night guy, especially when you have Taj, Jo, Gasol all in front of him in some form.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
So much of this has become basically a meme. These guys play as much as they demonstrate they should be playing. Watching Douggie play this year, I can't see how anyone could realistically argue he should be playing more for a team that is fighting for a high playoff spot, or was until last night. Mirtotic is still developing an offensive game, but is a terrible on-ball defender at this point. There are so many situations he still hurts you in as well. Thibs finds spots for him when he can, but he isn't ready to be a 30-40 minute a night guy, especially when you have Taj, Jo, Gasol all in front of him in some form.

Who wouldn't play a rookie shooting 12% from 3pt land playing bad defense when they are the 3rd string SF?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Westbrook had the same series of injuries (in fact, Westbrook had 4 injuries in theory...ACL and 3 different meniscus surgeries).

Westbrook's injury (and the subsequent ones) are results of contact with Beverly, otherwise he has managed to stay healthy his entire career. Rose's injuries were all non contact, and he has dealt with a bunch of minor injuries. He can't stay healthy even if you literally wrap him in bubble wraps. If he can't stay healthy for an extended period of time, he will never play at MVP level.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
Who wouldn't play a rookie shooting 12% from 3pt land playing bad defense when they are the 3rd string SF?

I think what we have seen from Thibs is that he won't put a guy into a situation where he isn't ready for it. We saw it from Taj Gibson when he was drafted. We saw it from Butler when he first got here, and the same with Snell. Instead of playing them simply because of draft entitlement, he got them to the point where they were ready to play, and when it was time, they stepped in.

I think the philosophy of "they have to play because they were drafted #x" is why we see so many kids who never make it in the NBA, despite their draft position. If they aren't ready, they aren't ready. Give them the tools to be ready, and then play them.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
He definitely is a big part as to why they are developed. The fact that they were good picks and the players worked hard as well gets lost though.

Really? I don't think Jimmy nor Snell were considered to be good value picks and were projected starters.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
I think what we have seen from Thibs is that he won't put a guy into a situation where he isn't ready for it. We saw it from Taj Gibson when he was drafted. We saw it from Butler when he first got here, and the same with Snell. Instead of playing them simply because of draft entitlement, he got them to the point where they were ready to play, and when it was time, they stepped in.

I think the philosophy of "they have to play because they were drafted #x" is why we see so many kids who never make it in the NBA, despite their draft position. If they aren't ready, they aren't ready. Give them the tools to be ready, and then play them.

The reason I believe in Thibs player development (and some of this was probably Adams too, he may developed players faster) is that when they finally show under Thibs, it really hasn't been a fluke. I believe in Snell now. I don't htink he's 20ppg, but the idea that he could be an NBA 3 and D guy was laughable. NOw he plays like a longer clone of Dunleavy. He makes fast decisions with the ball. It's awesome.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)

I think the only guy you can realistically say deserves more playing time right now but isn't getting it is Moore. He was fantastic for the 1-2 weeks that he played significant minutes. I'm going to be really upset if Kirk gets 25 mpg and Moore is stuck on the bench.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
The reason I believe in Thibs player development (and some of this was probably Adams too, he may developed players faster) is that when they finally show under Thibs, it really hasn't been a fluke. I believe in Snell now. I don't htink he's 20ppg, but the idea that he could be an NBA 3 and D guy was laughable. NOw he plays like a longer clone of Dunleavy. He makes fast decisions with the ball. It's awesome.

He's super long and athletic too. Physically he has the tools to be a really good role player. The fact that he can shoot the three so well is just icing on the cake at this point.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
Westbrook's injury (and the subsequent ones) are results of contact with Beverly, otherwise he has managed to stay healthy his entire career. Rose's injuries were all non contact, and he has dealt with a bunch of minor injuries. He can't stay healthy even if you literally wrap him in bubble wraps. If he can't stay healthy for an extended period of time, he will never play at MVP level.

He's also a b**** when it comes to injuries. They should have snipped the meniscus a year ago.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
I'm not ignoring that. I just didn't bring that up. Thibs is a great coach. Probably one of the 5 best in basketball but the man definitely has flaws. And those flaws + his relationship with management are the reasons why he won't be coaching in Chicago next year. Many in this town treat him like a deity when he's never won anything. That's my point.

And that's fair why?

If anyone really thinks the Bulls will win more games or advance farther in the playoffs with the same players but without Thibs, they are going to be sorry for what they wished for when, and I agree with this part, he does depart. JR still wonders why LaRussa was allowed to leave. Thibs is better than LaRussa. He will rue the day he lets Gar/Pax send Thibs packing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
And that's fair why?

If anyone really thinks the Bulls will win more games or advance farther in the playoffs with the same players but without Thibs, they are going to be sorry for what they wished for when, and I agree with this part, he does depart. JR still wonders why LaRussa was allowed to leave. Thibs is better than LaRussa. He will rue the day he lets Gar/Pax send Thibs packing.

I have to say, I love Thibs, but I don't think he's a transition coach. The bulls are about to head into a weird couple of years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
And that's fair why?

Great. If they feel like they will never win a title with Tom coaching though, how can they possibly not move on?