2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
I agree with most of what you said except for Cardale Jones. He cannot read a defense.

You watch him more than most of us. Won't someone still take him fairly high though thinking he has "stuff" you can't coach? Like raw tools. There are times when he looks like Daunte Culpepper. Other times, not so much.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
You watch him more than most of us. Won't someone still take him fairly high though thinking he has "stuff" you can't coach? Like raw tools. There are times when he looks like Daunte Culpepper. Other times, not so much.

He has a rocket arm and a huge build, but he has a very hard time reading defenses. At his age he probably should have learned at least some of that by now, the jury is out if its game experience that makes it come around. Physically he's an NFL specimen so we all know thats all you need for some teams.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
I keep reading and hearing that Hackenberg looks the part, but just isnt. He hasnt been the same since O'Brien left

His regression could be a number of factors, #1 being Franklin isnt half the offensive coach the BOB is. He also seems to suffer from holding the ball too long waiting for guys to get open.

So, Maty Mauk was suspended so I get to see Drew Lock. I don't think I can plan on him being very good, but Mauk was terrible.

I do feel bad for Mauk, whose dad just had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. That and a fanbase being brutal to him...tough stuff.

But Lock is clearly better at passing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
So, Maty Mauk was suspended so I get to see Drew Lock. I don't think I can plan on him being very good, but Mauk was terrible.

I do feel bad for Mauk, whose dad just had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. That and a fanbase being brutal to him...tough stuff.

Wrong thread?

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)

Kinda of a good/bad situation there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 07:36 AM)
His regression could be a number of factors, #1 being Franklin isnt half the offensive coach the BOB is. He also seems to suffer from holding the ball too long waiting for guys to get open.

He hasn't shown the smarts / ability to improve. That is a huge red flag for me. I want a QB who has the tools and consistently gets better. Far more likely they can project forward since they've shown an ability to develop and improve already (vs. get worse / stagnate...that reaks of someone who purely gets by on ability and nothing more). I do realize their are other factors, such as talent, that could force you to not be as good, but I want a guy who is a heady football player. Cook and Goff appear to be that guy with Cook being the guy whose done it in a more pro-style attack and who has shown terrific accuracy at times. He gets a little wild outside of the pocket, but that is something that we can work out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
He hasn't shown the smarts / ability to improve. That is a huge red flag for me. I want a QB who has the tools and consistently gets better. Far more likely they can project forward since they've shown an ability to develop and improve already (vs. get worse / stagnate...that reaks of someone who purely gets by on ability and nothing more). I do realize their are other factors, such as talent, that could force you to not be as good, but I want a guy who is a heady football player. Cook and Goff appear to be that guy with Cook being the guy whose done it in a more pro-style attack and who has shown terrific accuracy at times. He gets a little wild outside of the pocket, but that is something that we can work out.

Sonny Dykes and Tony Franklin are head and shoulders better offensive coaches than Hack has ever had. Thats a huge factor.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)

I think this is premature, for 3 games last year he's been amazing. Through 4 games where people game planned for him less so. The rest of the year is when you'd see an adjustment. It's still very early.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
They are both better offensive minds than O'Brien. They are record setting coaches in the college ranks.

Yeah, that's kinda what scares me about Goff. When at Louisiana Dykes had the number 1 offense in the country. Guy who was the QB for that team now plays in Japan.

He was also apart of those Texas Tech teams that put up ridiculous numbers without producing an NFL QB.