2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)
Yeah, that's kinda what scares me about Goff. When at Louisiana Dykes had the number 1 offense in the country. Guy who was the QB for that team now plays in Japan.

He was also apart of those Texas Tech teams that put up ridiculous numbers without producing an NFL QB.

I'm not comparing the two players, but what you just described is the exact reason Aaron Rodgers fell to the Packers.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
I'm not comparing the two players, but what you just described is the exact reason Aaron Rodgers fell to the Packers.

Goff throws the ball almost 200 more times in a season than Rodgers ever did in college.

Tedford, Rodgers college coach, literally was a QB development machine. Dilfer, Volek, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, AJ Feeley, Boller and Rodgers. The reason Rodgers ended up being the #2 QB in the draft (which isnt bad) is that Cal was so good and Utah literally had nobody else on the team but Alex Smith. Cal had 3 future NFL RB's on roster including Beast Mode. People thought thats why Cal was who they were.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
Goff throws the ball almost 200 more times in a season than Rodgers ever did in college.

Not sure how that makes you not good.

Drew Brees used to throw well over 500 a year. Derek Carr, who is playing pretty well in the NFL right now, threw almost 700 one year. Manning used to throw a lot as well.

I was referring more to the "he is a system QB", "his coach makes him good" type stuff that gets thrown at Goff. That was all the same stuff you heard about Rodgers and his coach Jeff Tedford.

I think it cases it can be true, but people always want to go to that. I think that is a generic term for Goff right now.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
Not sure how that makes you not good.

Drew Brees used to throw well over 500 a year. Derek Carr, who is playing pretty well in the NFL right now, threw almost 700 one year. Manning used to throw a lot as well.

I was referring more to the "he is a system QB", "his coach makes him good" type stuff that gets thrown at Goff. That was all the same stuff you heard about Rodgers and his coach Jeff Tedford.

I think it cases it can be true, but people always want to go to that. I think that is a generic term for Goff right now.

Because thats not why Rodgers fell. Goff is a system QB, Rodgers played with arguably one of the best 1-2 RB punches in recent history. The knock on him was that he wasnt enough of the offense.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)
Because thats not why Rodgers fell. Goff is a system QB, Rodgers played with arguably one of the best 1-2 RB punches in recent history. The knock on him was that he wasnt enough of the offense.

The bigger knock on Rodgers was that every Tedford QB that had been drafted in the first round previously was a bust. Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, and Kyle Boller all sucked. He absolutely was viewed as a system guy.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
The bigger knock on Rodgers was that every Tedford QB that had been drafted in the first round previously was a bust. Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, and Kyle Boller all sucked. He absolutely was viewed as a system guy.

I disagree. He was viewed as a guy that benefitted from a dominant run game and thats why Alex Smith was the QB ranked ahead of him. Even still he was a first round selection, its not like he fell down under 5 other QB's.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
Anonymous NFL Draft Scouts Thought Aaron Rodgers Was Just a System Quarterback

There are ton of these quotes from scouts. I don't remember any of them saying that Rodgers was only good because of his running game.

I do, especially since Alex Smith was his entire team and Cal was carried by their running game. "System QB's" dont have the numbers he had. He only had 24 TD passes, thats 10 less than JT Barrett had last season. I mentioned the other QB's he developed and that was a concern, but what made the take Smith (spread system) over Rodgers (Tedford System) is that they thought Rodgers benefitted from having a stronger team.

Anonymous NFC scout, quoted in an April 19, 2005 Green Bay Press-Gazette story: I just think Aaron's the product of being on a good team. … I see Utah winning because of Alex Smith. He's the one that does it. I don't think Cal was winning because of Aaron Rodgers. He contributes to it, but I don't think he's the team.
Edited by RockRaines

I think since Rodgers fell that year, teams have evaluated players and QB's especially a bit differently. How many teams passed on him just because they weren't "looking" for a QB? He's one of those once in a lifetime type QB's that literally slipped through 22 teams fingers.

Who's the last first round QB to ride the bench as long as Rodgers? I still think that decision contributed greatly to his success. If the Bears take Goff or Cook #1 I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Cutler one (maybe even two!) seasons. It's a development strategy that has simply vanished and I don't know why.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
To be fair, Clausen is what he is, we have no idea what Fales is. So its more of a prospect syndrome.

It's more of a Clausen blows and is 1-11 as a career starter Syndrome for me.

Nothing to lose if Fales starts. You never know where a serviceable QB can come from.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 03:46 AM)
It's more of a Clausen blows and is 1-11 as a career starter Syndrome for me.

Nothing to lose if Fales starts. You never know where a serviceable QB can come from.

Agreed. We know what Clausen is. We need to know what Fales is.

My guess is they don't want to be accused of giving up on the season quite yet.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)
Agreed. We know what Clausen is. We need to know what Fales is.

My guess is they don't want to be accused of giving up on the season quite yet.

My stance completely. I think the roster turnover etc should show that we are trying to see who can hack it moving forward, and Clausen is not one of those.

Aaron Rodgers had a delivery hitch in his motion that is prominent with Tedford guys. Green Bay completely reworked his throwing mechanics on top of Rodgers' insane work ethic and need to be the best ever. Had Rodgers gone somewhere else, he may not be what he is today.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
Aaron Rodgers had a delivery hitch in his motion that is prominent with Tedford guys. Green Bay completely reworked his throwing mechanics on top of Rodgers' insane work ethic and need to be the best ever. Had Rodgers gone somewhere else, he may not be what he is today.

I agree with this. I also think the whole sitting behind a QB for two years is some sort of cure-all.

I think there were some QBs who were put behind offensive lines that created bad habits right away (David Carr). But I think for the most part I doubt that Geno Smith, Blaine Gabbert, RGIII etc would have been great if they just didn't play for 2 years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
I agree with this. I also think the whole sitting behind a QB for two years is some sort of cure-all.

I think there were some QBs who were put behind offensive lines that created bad habits right away (David Carr). But I think for the most part I doubt that Geno Smith, Blaine Gabbert, RGIII etc would have been great if they just didn't play for 2 years.

Has that ever been done with a top 5 pick though?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
Rivers sat behind Drew Brees for a couple of years.

I just looked it up and it looks like the only other example would be Palmer behind Kitna for the entire rookie season. Most 1st round picks are thrown out there in their first season