2015-2016 NFL Thread

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 10:33 PM)
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/nfl-tv-rat...f-local-markets

Despite Donald Trump calling the NFL "soft" and the movie Concussion, not going anywhere soon...pretty incredible set of ratings facts and figures for the NFL broadcasts.

PS: There was a good idea about MLB moving at least one of their weekend World Series or Championship Series games to that 4 p.m. EST start, especially on a Sunday.

Did you honestly think that Concussion and Donald Trump were going to affect the playoff ratings?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
Things I'd do to see Eric Berry and Sean Smith in the Bears secondary. Both free agents at seasons end...

Feeling in KC is that Berry will be back, whether they franchise him or not (Jaye Howard might get the franchise tag). Hali will probably come back on the cheap for one more season as a rotational guy and Derrick Johnson will probably also be brought back. The feeling is they are going to have to let Sean Smith walk. That played into them taking Peters and Nelson in the first 3 rounds of this past draft.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:26 AM)
Way to give it away Cincinnati/strange non-calls and calls officials.

I wanted Kansas City to play Denver again. Instead it's New England.

I would have rather played Denver also, but NE doesn't scare me. Without Maclin it's gonna be difficult, you know Belichick is gonna key on Kelce, but NE's o-line is so bad, this defense could really give NE fits.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 04:04 AM)
Pitt and the under was such easy money

Ugh. I had Pittsburgh -2.5

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 08:59 AM)
Did you honestly think that Concussion and Donald Trump were going to affect the playoff ratings?

I dont know what is funnier, a movie that isnt doing well at the box office affecting playoff ratings or the idea of playing a 4pm World Series game on a Sunday.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
Ugh. I had Pittsburgh -2.5

Pittsburgh was the favorite all week. Did it ever drop under 2 points? I'd be surprised if it did since it sounded like the money was backing the Steelers.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Pittsburgh was the favorite all week. Did it ever drop under 2 points? I'd be surprised if it did since it sounded like the money was backing the Steelers.

It went to -3 after I took the 2.5 and I know I saw it down to -2 on Saturday morning. I'm not sure where it finished.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)

Wow, well the initial hit and sack itself was clean. Burfict is a piece of s*** though and while I sometimes would give a player the benefit of the doubt on something like that in Burfict's case that was almost assuredly on purpose.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
Wow, well the initial hit and sack itself was clean. Burfict is a piece of s*** though and while I sometimes would give a player the benefit of the doubt on something like that in Burfict's case that was almost assuredly on purpose.

Burfict's sack of Roethlisberger was fine. That's a football play. His hit on Brown was dirty as hell though. I think Shazier leading with the crown is worse than the play that the Bengals player got flagged for too. That was a bad penalty on the Bengals player. Great hit.

Got it. I was referring to Ben as a piece of s*** person for what its worth.

Got into a very long/heated "discussion" on FB Sunday about Ben's past and whether or not it should affect one's decision to be a fan of the team. Predictably, the Steelers fans got very defensive and constantly trotted out:

1) Ben never got convicted or even charged, they were just allegations

2) almost every team, pro or college, has at least one player with some level of domestic violence accusations against them so why single out the Steelers

My responses:

1) Ben was never charged but the allegations were from multiple women in different places at different times which to me, even though charges were never filed, is more serious than a single unsubstantiated allegation

2) A QB of a professional team has a higher level of notoriety than other NFL players, who in turn have a higher level of notoriety than any college player (who is gone is <4 years anyway)

Any thoughts?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
Got into a very long/heated "discussion" on FB Sunday about Ben's past and whether or not it should affect one's decision to be a fan of the team. Predictably, the Steelers fans got very defensive and constantly trotted out:

1) Ben never got convicted or even charged, they were just allegations

2) almost every team, pro or college, has at least one player with some level of domestic violence accusations against them so why single out the Steelers

My responses:

1) Ben was never charged but the allegations were from multiple women in different places at different times which to me, even though charges were never filed, is more serious than a single unsubstantiated allegation

2) A QB of a professional team has a higher level of notoriety than other NFL players, who in turn have a higher level of notoriety than any college player (who is gone is

Any thoughts?

Aren't you the die hard Notre Dame fan here?

Aren't you the die hard Notre Dame fan here?

Yes, are you attempting to reference an incident where Prince Shembo voluntarily stopped an encounter when Lizzy Seeberg began crying/screaming (while clothes were still on) but ended up being accused by the media of sexual assault/rape anyway, or were you going in a different direction?

I think the biggest thing is, just cause you are a fan of a team, doens't mean you have to be a fan of said player and it doesn't mean you have to root again the team or the player. My perspective is, you were a fan of the Steelers before Big Ben and while he is a POS, it doesn't mean you can't root for the team, etc. You can say you don't like Big Ben and knock him or boo him, but at the end of the day, you are going to root for him to do well (as your team ultimatley does well as a result and I wouldn't fault a fan for that).

You don't pick and choose who your team picks up, although if a fan base wanted to, it could clearly make a statement if a team consistently hired / had players with checkered pasts (e.g., if you were the Cowboys...but I don't know that I'd put the Steelers in that category).

I think the biggest thing is, just cause you are a fan of a team, doens't mean you have to be a fan of said player and it doesn't mean you have to root again the team or the player. My perspective is, you were a fan of the Steelers before Big Ben and while he is a POS, it doesn't mean you can't root for the team, etc. You can say you don't like Big Ben and knock him or boo him, but at the end of the day, you are going to root for him to do well (as your team ultimatley does well as a result and I wouldn't fault a fan for that).

You don't pick and choose who your team picks up, although if a fan base wanted to, it could clearly make a statement if a team consistently hired / had players with checkered pasts (e.g., if you were the Cowboys...but I don't know that I'd put the Steelers in that category).

Isn't it at least a little bit different when it's the QB though? The Bears picking up someone with Ben's past to be their nickel DB may make me uncomfortable, but the Bears picking up Ben may very well make me not want to be a Bears fan anymore.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
Yes, are you attempting to reference an incident where Prince Shembo voluntarily stopped an encounter when Lizzy Seeberg began crying/screaming (while clothes were still on) but ended up being accused by the media of sexual assault/rape anyway, or were you going in a different direction?

That and others. The dead video tape assistant, the fake GF, players sleeping with a prostituted daughter of an academic employee, etc. Despite all of that "noise," you still back Notre Dame 110%. So i'm not surprised by your response to your friend. That's all i'm pointing out.

On the question itself, i'm more in agreement with you. Unless criminal charges have been brought/they're serving time, I don't really care what they do off the court/field. I don't root for them to succeed, but i'm also not rooting that the franchise itself fails because they have them on the team. The franchise will continue long after that player is gone.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
Isn't it at least a little bit different when it's the QB though? The Bears picking up someone with Ben's past to be their nickel DB may make me uncomfortable, but the Bears picking up Ben may very well make me not want to be a Bears fan anymore.

Not me, Ben is awesome.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)

Oh, I thought you were going the other way with this.

IMO you're being pretty hypocritical here given your complete devotion/defense of Notre Dame-related scandals.

That and others. The dead video tape assistant, the fake GF, players sleeping with a prostituted daughter of an academic employee, etc. Despite all of that "noise," you still back Notre Dame 110%. So i'm not surprised by your response to your friend. That's all i'm pointing out.

On the question itself, i'm more in agreement with you. Unless criminal charges have been brought/they're serving time, I don't really care what they do off the court/field. I don't root for them to succeed, but i'm also not rooting that the franchise itself fails because they have them on the team. The franchise will continue long after that player is gone.

That? Have you ever actually read Lizzy Seeberg's police statement? Not what other people have said about the incident but her actual statement to police. Even if you accept her statement as 100% true, what she claimed happened does not rise to the level of rape, sexual assault, or any other felony. A misdemeanor at worst. Maybe you can find a lawyer to explain this to you. How is ND responsible for the media and the girl's family inaccurately describing what happened?

I've said repeatedly that the video assistant's death was terrible and that the AD should have been held accountable for it. (Fortunately for BK, the AD was present that day and thus was the highest ranking person responsible, as much as I'd personally love to lay the blame on BK)

I don't know how the university and/or football program has any liability for one of its players getting catfished. No evidence that the university knew she was fake until right before the story came out.

The academic employee got canned and probably getting charged. (though you have used a very liberal definition of "prostituted" since no money changed hands).

No university's athletic programs are without people doing bad things. The question is how the university deals with these things once discovered. I'll put ND's actions up against any FBS school in that regard. Five players missed the entire 2014 season for something that probably doesn't even get them a slap on the wrist at most FBS schools. Again, the video kid's death is the one time I really think ND screwed up.

Edited by HickoryHuskers