2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
What the hell was their reason for that...?

I heard Lebatard talking about it this morning. Some of it had to do with a dropped pick six and a fumble he had. Not sure how much that played into things, because even if you assumed he did both of those things, you still have 5 TD's and 2 turnovers, which has to be a positive value performance.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
I heard Lebatard talking about it this morning. Some of it had to do with a dropped pick six and a fumble he had. Not sure how much that played into things, because even if you assumed he did both of those things, you still have 5 TD's and 2 turnovers, which has to be a positive value performance.

Yup definitely. Did they take away something from the free-play TDs he had as well? Maybe that was part of the reason his grade was low.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
Yup definitely. Did they take away something from the free-play TDs he had as well? Maybe that was part of the reason his grade was low.

Yeah, they took something away from the free plays that went for TD and big yards, but the fumble he had was also on a free play, so it should go both ways.

If you watch that game last night and grade Rodgers out as negative, you need to rethink how you grade players.

They gave the same grade to Teddy Bridgewater who had 121 yards passing, 0 TD and 1 INT.

Rodgers had 5 TD, 333 passing yards and 0 turnovers.

So to them, that is pretty much the same performance.

Also, the original grade they had on Rodgers was -2.2, they changed it to -0.8. So originally they had him and Jimmy Clausen having equally bad games.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
If you watch that game last night and grade Rodgers out as negative, you need to rethink how you grade players.

They gave the same grade to Teddy Bridgewater who had 121 yards passing, 0 TD and 1 INT.

Also, the original grade they had on Rodgers was -2.2, they changed it to -0.8. So originally they had him and Jimmy Clausen having equally bad games.

Phil Emery used pff to help make roster decisions so this explains a lot.

If you replaced Claussen with Rodgers, you are telling me the bears would have had more than 63 yards passing and 18 punts? You are being a homer.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
If you replaced Claussen with Rodgers, you are telling me the bears would have had more than 63 yards passing and 18 punts? You are being a homer.

I know this is laced with sarcasm, but I wish there was a way to put a guy like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady behind the Bears offensive line and see how good they really are.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
PFF seems to mainly function to confirm your biases when it shows it and ignoring everything else. PFF routinely rates Matt Forte as like, the worst Bears offensive player.

Bill James said something to the effect that a given statistic isn't worthwhile if it doesn't surprise you sometimes. That doesn't mean every stat that is counterintuitive is automatically good, but the whole point of PFF is to give you information that isn't in the box score. You can't refute it with the box score. Their system could also be bad or wrong under certain circumstances or it's totally right and we aren't appreciating that Rodgers was carried by his teammates. I don't know.

Looks like PFF did a write-up about Rodgers's grade. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/...negative-grade/

Basically,

1. They say not to automatically take any number that begins with a minus to mean "bad." They say it's really more like average when it's that near to zero.

2. His fumble cost him.

3. He threw multiple TDs to Randall Cobb that were basic out routes that Cobb turned into touchdowns.

4. He threw what should have been an interception for TD if not for a bad non-catch by the DB. Because Rodgers did his job badly on that play, he gets downgraded. So does the DB for dropping it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
I know this is laced with sarcasm, but I wish there was a way to put a guy like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady behind the Bears offensive line and see how good they really are.

Aaron Rodgers has played behind some terrible offensive lines and he has always been amazing.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
Bill James said something to the effect that a given statistic isn't worthwhile if it doesn't surprise you sometimes. That doesn't mean every stat that is counterintuitive is automatically good, but the whole point of PFF is to give you information that isn't in the box score. You can't refute it with the box score. Their system could also be bad or wrong under certain circumstances or it's totally right and we aren't appreciating that Rodgers was carried by his teammates. I don't know.

People aren't refuting it with the box score, they are refuting it by watching the game and seeing that Aaron Rodgers was clearly the best player on the field last night. He is not only executing a play as it happens, he is setting up the play before it happens for success. PFF has proven worthless the longer it has been in effect, which is great because it's proven sample size is an important piece.

Yeah...PFF needs to rethink their ratings.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
People aren't refuting it with the box score, they are refuting it by watching the game and seeing that Aaron Rodgers was clearly the best player on the field last night. He is not only executing a play as it happens, he is setting up the play before it happens for success. PFF has proven worthless the longer it has been in effect, which is great because it's proven sample size is an important piece.

Throwing to a receiver on the correct route with room to beat his man one on one is just as good of a read by the QB then it is a move by the receiver. He was masterful.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
Looks like PFF did a write-up about Rodgers's grade. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/...negative-grade/

Basically,

1. They say not to automatically take any number that begins with a minus to mean "bad." They say it's really more like average when it's that near to zero.

2. His fumble cost him.

3. He threw multiple TDs to Randall Cobb that were basic out routes that Cobb turned into touchdowns.

4. He threw what should have been an interception for TD if not for a bad non-catch by the DB. Because Rodgers did his job badly on that play, he gets downgraded. So does the DB for dropping it.

1. When they rank his performance from last night behind Blake Bortles, who lost by almost 50 points. It has to be looked at as negative performance. Rodgers was ranked 17th out of the starting qb's from this past week. Let that sit in for a second.

2. His fumble was on a free play. They docked him points for a couple of big plays because they were on free plays, but the fumble is counted in full. There is little logic in that. Free plays that he created pre snap by the way.

3. This is really a big one and the hardest to rank. Even PFF has admitted today they don't rank anything presnap. So if Rodgers saw something in coverage and moved Cobb over to his right, which ended up making the play look easy, he gets no credit for that and it all goes to Cobb.

4. Should have been an INT. So I have no problem docking him on that play. Although it wasn't that close, the LB would have had to make a great catch on a fastball he wasn't expecting. Still a bad pass.

Also one of the guys from PFF tweeted today that Rodgers shouldn't get that much credit for throws that "you or me" could make. I thought that was one of the dumber things i've heard and makes me wonder if Rodgers makes things look so easy that people are taking it for granted. He was talking about a couple of the TD to Cobb.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Vereen waived. That's 8 Emery guys gone from the lineup. It's not hard to figure out why we're so bad.

Lol. I'd be surprised if Emery ever gets a job in the NFL again. Trestman won't after this season with the Ravens.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
1. When they rank his performance from last night behind Blake Bortles, who lost by almost 50 points. It has to be looked at as negative performance. Rodgers was ranked 17th out of the starting qb's from this past week. Let that sit in for a second.

2. His fumble was on a free play. They docked him points for a couple of big plays because they were on free plays, but the fumble is counted in full. There is little logic in that. Free plays that he created pre snap by the way.

3. This is really a big one and the hardest to rank. Even PFF has admitted today they don't rank anything presnap. So if Rodgers saw something in coverage and moved Cobb over to his right, which ended up making the play look easy, he gets no credit for that and it all goes to Cobb.

4. Should have been an INT. So I have no problem docking him on that play. Although it wasn't that close, the LB would have had to make a great catch on a fastball he wasn't expecting. Still a bad pass.

Also one of the guys from PFF tweeted today that Rodgers shouldn't get that much credit for throws that "you or me" could make. I thought that was one of the dumber things i've heard and makes me wonder if Rodgers makes things look so easy that people are taking it for granted. He was talking about a couple of the TD to Cobb.

His fumble was not on a free play. The play was bailed out by a defensive holding at the last minute in the end zone.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
Big difference between the previous regime and the current regime. We suck terribly in both regime's, but the current regime clearly is setting a tone that it is unacceptable and we will find new people until we right the ship.

How can you say that this regime has sucked when they have been at it for half a year and inherited the least talented roster in the NFL?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
How can you say that this regime has sucked when they have been at it for half a year and inherited the least talented roster in the NFL?

Sorry, I meant to say the team performance has sucked (i.e., won / loss). I am a huge fan of the current regime. I haven't heard about how great we have been practicing or any of that nonsense. It is clear that accountability exists at Halas Hall. That said, if special teams keeps doing what its doing, I expect to see some accountability their as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
Sorry, I meant to say the team performance has sucked (i.e., won / loss). I am a huge fan of the current regime. I haven't heard about how great we have been practicing or any of that nonsense. It is clear that accountability exists at Halas Hall. That said, if special teams keeps doing what its doing, I expect to see some accountability their as well.

Well, sucking was expected unless your a total homer. Pace really needs to hit on this next draft. 9 total picks and 7 of them, they will have in the 1-5 range of each round.

Huge young names and a massive amount of cap space in free agency could be huge for the Bears as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
Spotrac ‏@spotrac 19h19 hours ago

The #Bears now have $91.9M allocated to 37 players on their 2016 salary cap, an est. $60M in space to work with. http://bit.ly/1LYgwWc

Would be nice if Josh Norman or Sean Smith hit the market. I know the CB position has gotten "overpaid" but with the cap room the Bears have I'm fine with them going all in on one of em.